Sailing Alaska with a scooter

cruznqueen

We are considering taking my father in law on an Alaska cruise Tour with Princess in May 2007. We have never traveled with him before. He will need a wheelchair and a scooter in order to get around. Where do I begin? Will Princess help me with the scooter and/or rental? Do we need to book a handicap cabin or can we just leave the scooter outside the cabin door?

Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge on this.

We are considering taking my father in law on an Alaska cruise Tour with Princess in May 2007. We have never traveled with him before. He will need a wheelchair and a scooter in order to get around. Where do I begin? Will Princess help me with the scooter and/or rental? Do we need to book a handicap cabin or can we just leave the scooter outside the cabin door?

Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge on this.

You will need to book a handicapped accessible stateroom, which has doorways wide enough to get a scooter through. The corridors are extremely narrow and, at most times of the day, filled with the comings and goings of laundry carts and strollers and other passengers so parking a scooter outside the stateroom, on most lines, anyway, is a non-starter. Rent a scooter from one of the businesses local to the port you will be departing from. Care Medical will deliver and pick up a scooter to your stateroom. Make sure you give it a good tryout before the ship departs so you can spot any malfunctions before it's too late to get a replacement. Better yet is to rent one before you leave home.

Been there, done that. Sorry I can't remember the agency we rented the vehical from, but just look in your yellow pages under scooters etc. or better yet, call a TA, they will tell you who rents scooters. No, Princess won't help you a lot, it is better you do this on your own...scooters or motorized chairs (better option) rent for about 30 dollars a day...they drop this off at the ship...but you will need a wheel chair...have him bring his...for taking off the ship and getting on the ship. GET A DISABLED CABIN FOR HIM, do not try to put him in a regular cabin. You will also need a power strip to plug into the 2 plugs that they provide you, also an extension cord, because these chairs or scooters need to be recharged. Have a great trip...this is a piece of cake once you get it down.

Taking a scooter or wheelchair on a plane is always risky since baggage handlers do not always take proper care of them. Therefore, assuming that you are flying to Vancouver or Seattle for your cruise, I also would recommend having a scooter delivered to the ship rather than renting one at home. We have had good experiences with CareVacations.

unfortunately, if your cruise sails on a Sunday most local med supply places can't deliver; however Care Vacations has a special agreement with them to deliver on weekends. So, it may not be possible to go through the local guy directly. But I too advise having a scooter delivered to the ship as opposed to flying with one -- as dale said, there's too much potential for damage with the airlines.

Candy

hey all,

I have a question for my mother. Mom/Dad are thinking of taking a cruise with Norwegian to Hawaii this winter (oct/nov ish). My mom uses a scooter to get around due to severe arthritis in her knees. She is mobile on her own for short distances. Her question is in regards to ports. Is she going to be able to get the scooter into the port if they have to tender in??? My dad is with her and can assist on the lifting of the scooter etc, just worried about the ability of getting it on the lifeboats. Is any line more accomadating to mobility challenged people than another? Also they are planning on staying in the penthouse suite on Norwegian, will the scooter get through the door?? Again my dad is there to help and very used to assisting her and moving the scooter around.

btw, my folks are first time cruisers and in the "prime" of their life (I am 37). Do you have any other pointers that may help them in regards to disabilities?? I have cruised several times but know nothing of traveling with a mobility issue.

Thanks so much for any and all advice. You are all always such a wealth of information.

Archived