What to See When Leaving Seattle

Sexydva74

When we cruised out of New Orleans,  there's a lot to see on the Mississippi into the Gulf and another cruiser had posted a guide to what you're passing.  Is there a similar one for Seattle?  Pic is of what I am looking for.  TIA

image.jpeg.33ca72d2db4b73cfcd2bcaad14e6d8ef.jpeg

As you leave the pier in Seattle (either 66 or 91), some of your best Seattle views will be from the Aft or back of the ship.  Since all the ships will be sailing north, you will have a great view of the Seattle skyline, and if it a clear day, an amazing view of Mt Rainier, one of the tallest mountain in the lower 48.

As you move north into the Salish Sea (AKA Puget Sound), you will see  two sets of mountain ranges: the Olympics to the west (Port), and the Cascades on the east (starboard).

Along the east side of the shore (right / starboard side), you will see railroad tracks.  This is for both freight and if it was running, Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver.  You could imagine what a scenic train ride it would be along the many miles of shoreline. 

You may see ferries sailing across Puget Sound about 45 minutes after leaving Seattle.  This would be the Edmonds to Kingston ferry run.

If it is a clear day, you may see to the northeast the beautiful snow covered Mt Baker, considered an thermally active volcano (as is Mt Rainier).  A bit further north you will pass by Whidbey Island (and its cliffs on the southside).  There is a Navy Growler training center there where the pilots practice take-offs and landings (for carrier duty).    

Since the Seattle cruise ships set sail between 4 PM to - 5:30 PM,  after the first hour of sailing many folks are either back in their staterooms getting ready for dinner, or finishing unpacking.  What I mentioned above will cover the first 90 minutes or so of your cruise.

Here's to hoping that your cruise has amazing weather!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As you leave the pier in Seattle (either 66 or 91), some of your best Seattle views will be from the Aft or back of the ship.  Since all the ships will be sailing north, you will have a great view of the Seattle skyline, and if it a clear day, an amazing view of Mt Rainier, one of the tallest mountain in the lower 48.

As you move north into the Salish Sea (AKA Puget Sound), you will see  two sets of mountain ranges: the Olympics to the west (Port), and the Cascades on the east (starboard).

Along the east side of the shore (right / starboard side), you will see railroad tracks.  This is for both freight and if it was running, Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver.  You could imagine what a scenic train ride it would be along the many miles of shoreline. 

You may see ferries sailing across Puget Sound about 45 minutes after leaving Seattle.  This would be the Edmonds to Kingston ferry run.

If it is a clear day, you may see to the northeast the beautiful snow covered Mt Baker, considered an thermally active volcano (as is Mt Rainier).  A bit further north you will pass by Whidbey Island (and its cliffs on the southside).  There is a Navy Growler training center there where the pilots practice take-offs and landings (for carrier duty).    

Since the Seattle cruise ships set sail between 4 PM to - 5:30 PM,  after the first hour of sailing many folks are either back in their staterooms getting ready for dinner, or finishing unpacking.  What I mentioned above will cover the first 90 minutes or so of your cruise.

Here's to hoping that your cruise has amazing weather!

Thank you so much for this!!!  I have been hoping that someone else knew.  I love knowing what I'm passing.  

• Like 1

You'll be traveling north through Puget Sound, (aka the southern part of the Salish Sea) until you enter the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which separates Washington and Vancouver Island, then out to open ocean where you'll hang a right and continue north to the west of Vancouver Island.

Aside from the Seattle skyline, the passage through Puget Sound will involve sights of forested land and mountains on both sides of the ship.  If visible, on the starboard (right, east) side of the ship you ought to be able to see the high Cascade peaks of Mount Rainier (south and east of Seattle) and Mount Baker (north of the city, close to the Canadian border) as well as other mountains in the Cascade range.  To the west/port side, you ought to be able to see the Olympic mountains, in Olympic National Park.  Once you're in the strait, the Olympics will be to the south (still port side) of the ship, and on the north side you'll be able to see Vancouver Island.  

There might be some towns visible at a distance, such as Edmonds, Everett and Port Townsend, plus Port Angeles at the top of the Olympic peninsula, but nothing too close.

Although it's not common at all, there is a nonzero chance you might see some orcas en route, and of course lots of seabirds.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Just now, Gardyloo said:

You'll be traveling north through Puget Sound, (aka the southern part of the Salish Sea) until you enter the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which separates Washington and Vancouver Island, then out to open ocean where you'll hang a right and continue north to the west of Vancouver Island.

Aside from the Seattle skyline, the passage through Puget Sound will involve sights of forested land and mountains on both sides of the ship.  If visible, on the starboard (right, east) side of the ship you ought to be able to see the high Cascade peaks of Mount Rainier (south and east of Seattle) and Mount Baker (north of the city, close to the Canadian border) as well as other mountains in the Cascade range.  To the west/port side, you ought to be able to see the Olympic mountains, in Olympic National Park.  Once you're in the strait, the Olympics will be to the south (still port side) of the ship, and on the north side you'll be able to see Vancouver Island.  

There might be some towns visible at a distance, such as Edmonds, Everett and Port Townsend, plus Port Angeles at the top of the Olympic peninsula, but nothing too close.

Although it's not common at all, there is a nonzero chance you might see some orcas en route, and of course lots of seabirds.  

Hope this helps.

It does, so much!  Thanks!!!  I really hope we'll be able to see Mount Rainier (another bucket list location).

The previous two posters have covered all of the bases, I think.  I will add that the transition from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Pacific Ocean is usually noticeable.  

When the Statendam sailed from Seattle several years ago, after attending the wonderful sailaway party on the aft Lido Deck with the city skyline no longer visible, I went to the Crow's Nest and watched our passage until I had to leave to get ready for Second Sitting Dinner.  Very, very scenic!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The previous two posters have covered all of the bases, I think.  I will add that the transition from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Pacific Ocean is usually noticeable.  

When the Statendam sailed from Seattle several years ago, after attending the wonderful sailaway party on the aft Lido Deck with the city skyline no longer visible, I went to the Crow's Nest and watched our passage until I had to leave to get ready for Second Sitting Dinner.  Very, very scenic!  

Thanks!  Your opportunity to view everything from the Crow’s Nest sounds amazing. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all!  I have compiled your notes and will share with our cruise group.  Here are your compiled notes in case you need them for something else.

As you leave the pier in Seattle, some of your best Seattle views will be from the aft or the back of the ship.  Since all the ships will be sailing north, you will have a great view of the Seattle skyline, and if it is a clear day, an amazing view of Mt. Rainier, one of the tallest mountains in the lower 48. Aside from the Seattle skyline, the passage through Puget Sound will involve sights of forested land and mountains on both sides of the ship. 

You’ll be traveling north through Puget Sound until you enter the Strat of Juan de Fuca, which separates Washington and Vancouver Island, then out to open ocean where you’ll hang a right and continue north to the west of Vancouver Island.

As you move north into the Salish Sea (AKA Puget Sound), you will see two sets of mountain ranges, the Olympics to the west (port), and the Cascades on the east (starboard).  If visible, you ought to be able to see the high Cascade peaks of Mount Rainier (south and east of Seattle) and Mount Baker (north of the city, close to the Canadian border), considered a thermally active volcano, as well as other mountains in the Cascade Range.  To the west/port side, you ought to be able to see the Olympic mountains, in Olympic National Park.  A bit further north, you will pass by Whidbey Island (and its cliffs on the southside).  There is a Navy Growler training center where the pilots practice take-offs and landings (for carrier duty).

Once you’re in the strait, the Olympics will be to the south (still port side) of the ship, and on the north side, you’ll be able to see Vancouver Island.  There might be some towns visible in the distance, such as Edmonds, Everett, and Port Townsend, plus Port Angeles at the top of the Olympic peninsula, but nothing too close.  You may see ferries sailing across Puget Sound about 45 minutes after leaving Seattle.  This would be the Edmonds to Kingston ferry run.

Since the Seattle cruise ships set sail between 4pm and 5:30pm, after the first hour of sailing, many folks are either back in their staterooms getting ready to dinner, or finishing unpacking.  What I mentioned will cover the first 90 minutes or so of your cruise.

Although it’s not uncommon at all, there is a nonzero chance you might see some orcas en route, and of course lots of seabirds.

After attending the sail away party on the aft Lido Deck with the city skyline no longer visible, I went to the Crow’s Nest and watched our passage until I had to leave to get ready for dinner.  Very, very scenic.

Thanks to Ferry_Watcher, Gardyloo, and rkacruiser on Cruisecritic for their insights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2