Next Week's Caribbean Cruising Could Be Messy

On 5/17/2022 at 11:14 PM, rudeney said:

Oops! That was a really big typo!  Just subtract 300 and it's the right number!  🤣 I have dealt with a few hurricanes.  I actually slept through one on a sailboat tied up in a canal on the inland side of Orange Beach.  It was healed over so far, I slept on the wall instead of the berth. 

I just get aggravated when I hear that "the sky is falling" from people who claim to be scientists (meteorologists) and they always seem to have "evidence" showing why they are really right when they were actually wrong.  I look at these tropical predictions the same way as when I hear of a shark attack.  The odds of being attacked by a shark are ridiculously low, but every time one happens, the media is out in full force with hour-long specials about how this is a huge problem.  

This was just last year, only a couple hundred miles west of the Alabama Gulf coast...one of the strongest storms to make landfall (2nd strongest in Louisiana history, only behind Katrina). My company had guys down there for three weeks after helping clean up the mess.

I live along the shore, so I pay attention to these predictions and forecasts. Maybe along your little slice of heaven it's not bad...but that doesn't mean it's all just hype. 

Ida 1.jpg

Oh, I know hurricanes are dangerous, destructive and deadly.  I have also seen firsthand the aftermath on the Gulf Coast.  My issue is that in recent years, say the last 10, maybe even 15, the media "experts" have latched onto fear-mongering to build followers.  They tell us each year that there prediction is for the worst hurricane season ever.  And most years they are wrong.  I remember one year, NBC news ran a two-hour special about how that year was going to be the worst.  They had experts and CGI models telling what horrible things were going to happen.  It turned out to be one of the least impactful hurricane season in modern times.  I have just become numb to all the "breaking news" and predictions of disaster.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, island lady said:

Safer to be on a large ship that can move your living quarters away from the storm...then being a sitting duck at home in front of a hurricane coming my way.  😉 

Agree. Use to only Cruise in Fall, Low Season Priced Season as was called then. One week in 90's we had 4 Named Storms/Hurricanes in Caribbean and still went. Back then everyone was watching the Weather Channel 24/7, now everyone has Smart Phones. We were a rocking more then any other my Cruises over last 35yrs. Cruise still sailed steering around worst, only one partial day of Rain, Traveling in reverse order of stops. Me, don't get Sea Sick and had a Blast!

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 2:25 PM, Merion_Mom said:

If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?

On 5/17/2022 at 3:47 PM, Fontaid said:

Pilgrims 🤣

Response of the week!!😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1