back from Eclipse? 7 day cruise to Alaska

Dorothy & Morty

6 minutes ago, Dorothy & Morty said:

Just wanted to know if there were any recent covid cases on the Eclipse lately 2022.

It is on it's first Alaska run now. There are a couple of threads about the first 2 Eclipse cruises, Vancouver to Hawaii and back. There have been cases on both those cruises. The CDC has had the ship as orange status for a while.

The eclipse will also be in dry dock the week of May 22 to get rid of the barnacles so that should also give time with out passengers to address any other COVID concerns.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Woody14 said:

The eclipse will also be in dry dock the week of May 22 to get rid of the barnacles so that should also give time with out passengers to address any other COVID concerns.

This is exactly what I’m hoping for. Time for the interior to “air out” and not have so much traffic.

I’m on the 5/29 sailing and hopefully the ship will be free of barnacles and Covid!

You should read the last 2 pages of the May 4 Hawaii to Vancouver roll call. The ship was full of covid, crew and passengers! Even if they get rid of covid during her period in dry-dock, if they don't change their protocols on board and continue to take a relaxed approach to the virus, it will return. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cruisin_123 said:

You should read the last 2 pages of the May 4 Hawaii to Vancouver roll call. The ship was full of covid, crew and passengers! Even if they get rid of covid during her period in dry-dock, if they don't change their protocols on board and continue to take a relaxed approach to the virus, it will return. 

I just did. I very well may be overly optimistic, but I think several things were NOT in the favor of the Hawaii sailing.

1 - ship newly in service, the crew were BOUND to pass covid along to each other if covid was introduced on board.

2 - lots of sea days with likely indoor/close quarter activities

My hope is that the crew will have made it to the other side of this wave of infections, masking on the May 15 sailing should help, different itinerary that's overall shorter and less sea days (maybe not with shortened port times). Add to that the 7 day drydock, I'm hopeful the ship will be in a good spot for 5/29 sailing.

Fingers crossed! I'm hopeful, with reasonable precautions, we're able to have an enjoyable cruise!

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, tpeacockiii said:

I just did. I very well may be overly optimistic, but I think several things were NOT in the favor of the Hawaii sailing.

1 - ship newly in service, the crew were BOUND to pass covid along to each other if covid was introduced on board.

2 - lots of sea days with likely indoor/close quarter activities

My hope is that the crew will have made it to the other side of this wave of infections, masking on the May 15 sailing should help, different itinerary that's overall shorter and less sea days (maybe not with shortened port times). Add to that the 7 day drydock, I'm hopeful the ship will be in a good spot for 5/29 sailing.

Fingers crossed! I'm hopeful, with reasonable precautions, we're able to have an enjoyable cruise!

FYI  - There was no masking on the May 15 sailing.    We departed several hours late due to last minute changes required for "carry over" passengers.   We lost our Sunset Veranda cabin due to it being occupied by quarantine passengers.     They did not inform the passengers about the COVID positivity counts during the cruise.   It's been reported that the May15 sailing had 42 cabins in quarantine.   Very little transparency over the situation.   Staff told us that they were short staffed because of visa requirements . . .  But it did slip out that a lot were in quarantine.  

Oddly - the passengers who purchased the COVID test kits from the cruise line did not receive them until AFTER they scanned out for the final time in disembarkation.   Literally 3 steps after scanning and 3 steps before the gangway.   It was clear that they did not want passengers to receive a positive result while they were still on the ship.  

Our cruise mates tested positive at the airport and are now stuck in Canada and can't return to USA for 10 days.   If they had tested positive on the ship - I assume that they could have stayed on board (during dry dock?  Ewww).  

1 hour ago, Mark Mary said:

We lost our Sunset Veranda cabin due to it being occupied by quarantine passengers

That would be a big disappointment, what type cabin did you end up in? I hope Celebrity looked after you.

A lot of the crew were in quarantine because they were new, as well.  They had been scrambling to get crew on board.  Got a LOT of new crew. 

The covid test thing is how they are doing it now.  If you made your reservation before the November date, or if you buy if from Celebrity, they hand it to you after you are off.  So, if you need a covid test to be able to fly, you need to take your own from home, and test the night before from your stateroom using the ship's wifi.  You'll need the faster Stream package to do so.  

2 hours ago, Mark Mary said:

Our cruise mates tested positive at the airport and are now stuck in Canada and can't return to USA for 10 days.   If they had tested positive on the ship - I assume that they could have stayed on board (during dry dock?  Ewww).

Canada policy is that Celebrity has to pay for 5 days of quarantine. 

Edited by tpeacockiii

3 hours ago, Mark Mary said:

FYI  - There was no masking on the May 15 sailing.    We departed several hours late due to last minute changes required for "carry over" passengers.   We lost our Sunset Veranda cabin due to it being occupied by quarantine passengers.     They did not inform the passengers about the COVID positivity counts during the cruise.   It's been reported that the May15 sailing had 42 cabins in quarantine.   Very little transparency over the situation.   Staff told us that they were short staffed because of visa requirements . . .  But it did slip out that a lot were in quarantine.  

Oddly - the passengers who purchased the COVID test kits from the cruise line did not receive them until AFTER they scanned out for the final time in disembarkation.   Literally 3 steps after scanning and 3 steps before the gangway.   It was clear that they did not want passengers to receive a positive result while they were still on the ship.  

May i ask...were these mates vacinated, and how many boosters/

We returned from the Eclipse on the 22 . Alaska was amazing, Hubbard awesome , ship not so good . Tested postive after arriving back in Ontario that evening .   There was no transparency regarding the number of cases. By Sunday there just seemed to be less people , The passengers next to us disappeared and their state room was stripped into white bags ( bottles towels blankets all into the same white bags) . Dinner in Murano's took 3 hours one waiter for 12 tables . MDR was 2-3 hours lack of staff. The lack of staff was noticable in the cleaning ( first time I've seen washrooms that needed servicing badly on a cruise ship ) It was odd our assistant waiter would change his name tag between buffet and dining room . Social distancing was impossible given the lines at the terminal and the dining areas and bars .

Sitka we waited in line for 45 minutes to get on a jammed bus , shop for 45 minutes and 45 minutes in line to get on a bus to get back to the ship. The evening of day 7 it was a super spreader event in a packed sky lounge  ( avoided ) We are both boosted and this is our 3rd time getting covid . I think if the captain had disclosed the severity we would have made different choices.

As a regular on Celebrity this a poor showing ,, ran out of some wines , food choices limited and poor quality ( except the specialty ) We ate in specialty on 3 nights to avoid the MDR . For Captain Leo not disclosing a significant safety hazard to his passengers I give him a fail ( he was asked and side stepped questions ). His response to the embarkation delay "it was a luggage issue" !! I believe it was 39 foreign nationals with covid Canada would not except . We have travelled on other Celebrity ships since return to service and felt far safer , full disclosure from the captain daily and the ships were spotless.

Hoping someone onboard can update me on how staffing is currently.  The app is showing no room service until after 11 AM for the entire week.  Plus a couple  of bars and Mast Grill have been closed until today, day 4 on the app.  Is the app wrong or is there a staffing problem? TIA.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:57 PM, noveltek said:

We returned from the Eclipse on the 22 . Alaska was amazing, Hubbard awesome , ship not so good . Tested postive after arriving back in Ontario that evening .   There was no transparency regarding the number of cases. By Sunday there just seemed to be less people , The passengers next to us disappeared and their state room was stripped into white bags ( bottles towels blankets all into the same white bags) . Dinner in Murano's took 3 hours one waiter for 12 tables . MDR was 2-3 hours lack of staff. The lack of staff was noticable in the cleaning ( first time I've seen washrooms that needed servicing badly on a cruise ship ) It was odd our assistant waiter would change his name tag between buffet and dining room . Social distancing was impossible given the lines at the terminal and the dining areas and bars .

Sitka we waited in line for 45 minutes to get on a jammed bus , shop for 45 minutes and 45 minutes in line to get on a bus to get back to the ship. The evening of day 7 it was a super spreader event in a packed sky lounge  ( avoided ) We are both boosted and this is our 3rd time getting covid . I think if the captain had disclosed the severity we would have made different choices.

As a regular on Celebrity this a poor showing ,, ran out of some wines , food choices limited and poor quality ( except the specialty ) We ate in specialty on 3 nights to avoid the MDR . For Captain Leo not disclosing a significant safety hazard to his passengers I give him a fail ( he was asked and side stepped questions ). His response to the embarkation delay "it was a luggage issue" !! I believe it was 39 foreign nationals with covid Canada would not except . We have travelled on other Celebrity ships since return to service and felt far safer , full disclosure from the captain daily and the ships were spotless.

So you are saying Ca[taon Leo, is not the best Captain?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the June 5 sailing.  Started to feel unwell leaving the ship.  Husband and I tested positive.  No protocols in place on the ship.  Good luck trying to report this to Celebrity.  Don’t know where they get their numbers from

• Thanks 1