Long Beach - Hotel & Parking Suggestions

DakotaGuy

What is your hotel budget? How long is the cruise? Are you looking for a Stay & Park deal?

Without knowing those things, my general advice is stay at the Hotel Maya DoubleTree or Residence Inn. If you can't get a Stay & Park deal, park in the garage at the cruise port.

14 hours ago, DakotaGuy said:

Will be cruising out of Long beach. Any suggestions as to hotels and parking

would be appreciated. 

Is it just one night? What do you plan on doing while there?  My "A" list, in this approximate order, are 1) Hyatt Centric at the Pike, 2) Hyatt Regency, 3) Renaissance and 4) Westin...these four are all on the "Downtown" side of the harbor channel--so closest to a lot of restaurants (some local, some familiar national chains), shopping, walking areas and the Aquarium of the Pacific.  The two Scott mentioned--the Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown--are across the channel from downtown--in a more industrial area--but very close to the Carnival terminal and to the Queen Mary--so they make sense especially for those getting in late the night before and only needing a place to crash and the easiest access to the cruise terminal.

Do NOT stray anywhere outside of this very small area...neighborhoods get a lot worse just a few blocks away...but this Downtown Convention Center area is quite nice--the recipient of a lot of redevelopment funds over the years as well as stepped up police patrols... And, beware, a lot of hotels CLAIM to be in the Convention Center area or close to the pier--but are NOT.

Thanks for this input.  We are looking at the Marriott Courtyard Downtown Long Beach (points) and are wondering exactly what the boundaries are for the Convention Center area.  We are looking at Long Beach instead of San Pedro even for a Celebrity cruise because of the bigger choice of hotels in this area.

1 hour ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Thanks for this input.  We are looking at the Marriott Courtyard Downtown Long Beach (points) and are wondering exactly what the boundaries are for the Convention Center area.  We are looking at Long Beach instead of San Pedro even for a Celebrity cruise because of the bigger choice of hotels in this area.

I would not stay above 3rd Street in Downtown Long Beach.

If you want to use points, the Westin or Renaissance would be my first pick of Marriott hotels.

But if it is just one night, I'd stay at the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. The area restaurants are fine and the convenience is great.

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

What is your hotel budget? How long is the cruise? Are you looking for a Stay & Park deal?

Without knowing those things, my general advice is stay at the Hotel Maya DoubleTree or Residence Inn. If you can't get a Stay & Park deal, park in the garage at the cruise port.

Hi Scott, I have never been to Long Beach and just need a room for one nite before my cruise. I appreciate your general advice,  I will try the Maya Doubletree and the Residence Inn.  Thanks again! 

9 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Is it just one night? What do you plan on doing while there?  My "A" list, in this approximate order, are 1) Hyatt Centric at the Pike, 2) Hyatt Regency, 3) Renaissance and 4) Westin...these four are all on the "Downtown" side of the harbor channel--so closest to a lot of restaurants (some local, some familiar national chains), shopping, walking areas and the Aquarium of the Pacific.  The two Scott mentioned--the Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown--are across the channel from downtown--in a more industrial area--but very close to the Carnival terminal and to the Queen Mary--so they make sense especially for those getting in late the night before and only needing a place to crash and the easiest access to the cruise terminal.

Do NOT stray anywhere outside of this very small area...neighborhoods get a lot worse just a few blocks away...but this Downtown Convention Center area is quite nice--the recipient of a lot of redevelopment funds over the years as well as stepped up police patrols... And, beware, a lot of hotels CLAIM to be in the Convention Center area or close to the pier--but are NOT.

Hi Steve, I am not at all familiar with Long Beach and your postings has provided me with such great detailed information. Both your posting and Scott's give me a great frame of reference. I am going to check out all of the hotels you both listed. I simply desire a room for one nite before my cruise. Thank for your input.