Britannia - Wine in main dining rooms

Orianababes

I am just seeking the current position regarding wine in the MDR as some posts are leaving my simple brain confused. My questions are:-

1- Are wine bottles stored by wine waiters overnight or does one have to return unfinished bottles to the cabin?

2- Over the recent past the number of wine waiters reduced and it was difficult to get drinks ordered. How well staffed are the MDR’s with wine waiters?

Any other recent experiences would be appreciated 

On Azura in April.  

Table waiter took wine order.  

Staffing levels quite low, so staff kept busy and little time to interact.  

Bottles purchased in MDR were not kept for you.  When you bought wine the bottle was placed on your table (in a cooler for white).  

that's changed with the reduced staff and no wine waiters anymore then.. Shame I liked having the actual wine waiters although as their numbers dwindled the service got a bit patchy, ( ie tables they looked after increased)

On Britannia currently, table waiter take your drink order, wine,etc. The wine itself is then brought over by one of the wine waiters. That same waiter will return later in the meal to check all is ok with the wine and pour any more, if you haven't done so already by your self. Then they will clear the empty bottle,etc. Still have to return the bottle to your cabin if unfinished. 

That is a pain.  So after having a nice drink in the bar, you then have to return to your cabin to get your wine.  Awful.  Anyone know if that's the same on Aurora?

Edited by jeanlyon

42 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

That is a pain.  So after having a nice drink in the bar, you then have to return to your cabin to get your wine.  Awful.  Anyone know if that's the same on Aurora?

Just heard elsewhere that it's the same on Aurora.  How awful.  Someone remind me if there are fridges in inside cabins?

Currently on Britannia and in the club dining room the table waiters take the wine order and at the end of the meal they will keep any undrunk wine until the next night. Don't know if this applies to all waiters/tables but is certainly occuring with our table,

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

Currently on Britannia and in the club dining room the table waiters take the wine order and at the end of the meal they will keep any undrunk wine until the next night. Don't know if this applies to all waiters/tables but is certainly occuring with our table,

Now that's interesting, because someone else on Britannia said they didn't

44 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just heard elsewhere that it's the same on Aurora.  How awful.  Someone remind me if there are fridges in inside cabins?

Yes, there were fridges in Aurora inside cabins on my last cruise Dec 2019….

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Iona and Britannia have fridges, so you should be ok.

44 minutes ago, david63 said:

I am guessing that that may be in one of the Freedom dining rooms

Just "thinking aloud"

In the club dining room the same people occupy the same tables every evening at the same times. So unused wine can be stored by table number, easily located and brought to the table by the same waiters.

In the freedom dining room people occupy different tables every evening, maybe at different times and possibly in different dining rooms. So wine would have to be stored by cabin number and then tied up each evening with the table occupied by the residents of that cabin. Obviously more time consuming but also probably involves the wine being handled by another waiter - with possible covid connutations. Either of these "problems" could be used to justify wine being stored in club but not in freedom, if that is indeed the case.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Two weeks ago on Ventura had to take unfinished bottles away. Maybe makes people drink more, so more profit. Anyway, not many unfinished bottles on our table each night!

We both like different wines, so tend to order by the glass. There is a decent selection now the bloke from Saturday kitchen is involved. When we do order a bottle, any leftovers go with us to the bar. Soon goes.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Just "thinking aloud"

In the club dining room the same people occupy the same tables every evening at the same times. So unused wine can be stored by table number, easily located and brought to the table by the same waiters.

In the freedom dining room people occupy different tables every evening, maybe at different times and possibly in different dining rooms. So wine would have to be stored by cabin number and then tied up each evening with the table occupied by the residents of that cabin. Obviously more time consuming but also probably involves the wine being handled by another waiter - with possible covid connutations. Either of these "problems" could be used to justify wine being stored in club but not in freedom, if that is indeed the case.

Keeping the dregs in the bottle and serving it up the next day isn't something that anyone would do is is...🤔. Drink up, or take it to the bar, or buy it by the glass. Keep the stale stuff for the trifle.

Rubbish!  LOL  Usually half a bottle or more left.  We sometimes keep wine for days at home and drink slowly.  We don't go to the bar after dinner, usually before, so doesn't work.  Last time we were on Freedom dining, it seemed to work, but obviously they have changed it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

And wine prices have increased by about 30% since the restart!.

A big glass of house red is £5.25. was it 4 quid before?.I can't remember that far back. Watneys red barrel was 1s8d a pint in 1966. How much is that on Iona?.

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Keeping the dregs in the bottle and serving it up the next day isn't something that anyone would do is is...🤔. Drink up, or take it to the bar, or buy it by the glass. Keep the stale stuff for the trifle.

At home I have one small glass of wine with dinner every night so a bottle will last me 6 nights. No significant deterioration in taste to my palate...

I would be very disappointed to only be able to order by the glass on a cruise. Not only does that limit your choice but I suspect would also work out more expensive.

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

At home I have one small glass of wine with dinner every night so a bottle will last me 6 nights. No significant deterioration in taste to my palate...

I would be very disappointed to only be able to order by the glass on a cruise. Not only does that limit your choice but I suspect would also work out more expensive.

If we don't drink a whole bottle at home, the rest goes in the pasta , or bourguignon. Perhaps that's what P&O do with the dregs. That will keep the costs down.

• Haha 2

As at March this year, on Ventura the cheapest wine was £19.95 a bottle (up from £15.95 pre- pandemic with most being over £21). Cheapest Glass was £6.95 & also 24hr of WiFi was just over £15 (double the previous price). This coupled with a paired back Menu in the MDR seems P&O are certainly trying to clawing back some of the losses. It certainly is not the quality & value of pre-pandemic cruises.