Upcoming Zuiderdam Alaska Cruise: A few questions

1. We have open seating (which I like because we're not locked into a specific time), however, can we request an area with a server that we like when we check in for dinner, knowing that it may or may not be available?

2. Do they offer digital versions of the ship's photos that are taken?

3. Does the kitchen ever accommodate special occasion requests (special cake, etc.) if made far enough in advance?

4. Anyone know if the coffee makers in the Neptune Suites are drip or pod type? If they're pod, do you know what type of pods they accept?

Edited by HermmyGranger

6 minutes ago, HermmyGranger said:

1. We have open seating (which I like because we're not locked into a specific time), however, can we request an area with a server that we like when we check in for dinner, knowing that it may or may not be available?  YES

2. Do they offer digital versions of the ship's photos that are taken?

3. Does the kitchen ever accommodate special occasion requests (special cake, etc.) if made far enough in advance?  YES

4. Anyone know if the coffee makers in the Neptune Suites are drip or pod type? If they're pod, do you know what type of pods they accept?

• Like 1

I think when it comes to special requests for food -- they do make the effort to accommodate.  I was on the Zuiderdam (a month ago).  My requests were not especially difficult.  Or, at least "I think" they were not especially difficult, lol. 

1)  I looked at the dinner menu (Main Dining Room), and none of the entrees, on this upcoming evening, had a baked potato.  I went in & asked (during the "Tea Service Afternoon Thingy") if I could get one.  They mentioned it would be no problem at all and "we'll have two for you just in case".  Nice.

2)  It was dinner (at the Lido Buffet), i circled both sides of the buffet hunting for pineapple.  Didn't see any.  Made the inquiry.  Mary said, "I'll go get some".

On another occasion, in the Lido... I overheard a woman (a guest) asking one of the food servers for something.  It kind of went like this.. "Is it possible to.. " AND, Erick (the head chef of the Lido) overheard her first few words, from 10 feet away, & promptly interjected "Ma'am, anything is possible!".  It turned out she wanted a croissant sliced open & then a few items tucked in, sandwich style, then quickly under the broiler to get MELTY.

Sorry if my reply does not give you an exact answer, but the theme on the ship seems to be "CAN DO!".

-----Matthew

• Like 1

Just ask for what you want. I was just on the Zuiderdam for 2 weeks    my mom asked for mashed potatoes almost every night. I didn't eat anything pureed   Usually a baked potato . I asked for green beans a few times and they even got a donut from the Lido  one morning (I'm a dining room diner) One tip I have is to tell them exactly what you want  If you tell the staff what you don't want they will choose substitutions they think are appropriate. Menus have been slimmed down but the staff want you to be happy  May 4 cruise had less than 500 passengers and extra kitchen staff that were moving to Zaandam