Napa Valley

lhsail

Hope this isn’t too far off topic. We are sailing out of San Francisco in early December. Looking to spend a few nights in Napa Valley before cruising. Many years ago we stayed in Calistoga every fall, but haven’t been back in many years. Two questions. One, what area of Napa Valley would you recommend? Two, do we need to move to San Francisco the night before sailing? (FYI, we’re not interested in spending our son’s inheritance on lodging 😄)

Back when I was still working, we used to have departmental offsites every year in Napa or Sonoma...

One hotel I really enjoyed was this one:

Sonoma Hotel Rooms - Inn at Sonoma - Sonoma Valley Accommodations'

It's not in Napa but in the next valley over--Sonoma.  In some ways, I actually prefer Sonoma--because the town itself is quite charming.  It is a very historical city--where the "California Republic" Bear Flag was first raised--in June of 1846--when the locals (a large segment of them being from the US) deposed the Mexican government and established and independent country.  Of course, about a month later, the US Navy showed up and took down the flag of the California Republic, replaced it with the US flag and claimed the territory. 

The town is built around a picturesque town square...and has a good number of excellent wineries.

We just visited the week before last while on a Coastal cruise on an excellent tour with "Edge of the World Tours" that visited three small Sonoma wineries--Mayo, Wellington and Homewood...

• Like 1

Appreciate all the recommendations. I have to admit I’m shocked at the prices given the fact we’re looking at late November/early December (after Thanksgiving) and weeknights. 

Thinking St. Helena might be a good match for us if we decide on Napa vs. Sonoma. Does anyone know anything about the Southbridge Inn?

Calistoga Hotel | Area Information | BEST WESTERN PLUS Stevenson Manor

Stevenson Manor - Best Western Plus Calistoga

I stayed here last May in one of the King with mountain view balcony rooms.  As you know, Calistoga is the northern end of the Hwy 29 Napa Valley area. Many wineries/restaurants/sites are within a short drive from Calistoga and a short drive over to the Sonoma Valley!  I liked this recently remodeled hotel and the rate is good compared to many other places.  It isn't fancy but a nice place to use as a base for exploring the valley.  I like it because it's quieter than staying in the more southern towns along Hwy 29.  

As to staying in the city the night before boarding the ship, unless you really want to do something specific in San Francisco I don't think you necessarily need to if ship boarding is in the afternoon as usual.  On the weekend the traffic in Napa Valley is heavier than weekdays and weekdays you don't want to leave for the city much before 10am or so due to the commute traffic.  Where will you need to return your rental car in SF?  If it was me, I would sleep in a bit and have a nice breakfast in Calistoga then head over to the city.  Drop bags at the ship and return the rental car.  Then you will be ready to board in plenty of time with no rush and no repacking for one night.  

Please come back and let us know what you decide!  What cruise are you taking? (Looks like maybe Princess to Down Under?  Nice!)

~Nancy

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

Calistoga Hotel | Area Information | BEST WESTERN PLUS Stevenson Manor

Stevenson Manor - Best Western Plus Calistoga

I stayed here last May in one of the King with mountain view balcony rooms.  As you know, Calistoga is the northern end of the Hwy 29 Napa Valley area. Many wineries/restaurants/sites are within a short drive from Calistoga and a short drive over to the Sonoma Valley!  I liked this recently remodeled hotel and the rate is good compared to many other places.  It isn't fancy but a nice place to use as a base for exploring the valley.  I like it because it's quieter than staying in the more southern towns along Hwy 29.  

As to staying in the city the night before boarding the ship, unless you really want to do something specific in San Francisco I don't think you necessarily need to if ship boarding is in the afternoon as usual.  On the weekend the traffic in Napa Valley is heavier than weekdays and weekdays you don't want to leave for the city much before 10am or so due to the commute traffic.  Where will you need to return your rental car in SF?  If it was me, I would sleep in a bit and have a nice breakfast in Calistoga then head over to the city.  Drop bags at the ship and return the rental car.  Then you will be ready to board in plenty of time with no rush and no repacking for one night.  

Please come back and let us know what you decide!  What cruise are you taking? (Looks like maybe Princess to Down Under?  Nice!)

~Nancy

Thank you for the great information. Many years ago we stayed at the Foothill House a few times. Calistoga is a beautiful area, kind of looking to try something different this time. 

We are taking the Ruby Princess through the Panama Canal into Galveston. We’ll be dropping our car off at the Hertz location at Fisherman’s Wharf. 

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Southbridge Inn is a nice place and a great location. It is very walkable to lots in St Helena, including my beloved Napa Valley Olive Oil Manufacturing Co where I go for my daily fix of salami and cheese.

Thank you. Like that it’s within walking distance of lots of places. 

We booked the Southbridge. A good mix of location, amenities and price for this trip. Plan to drive up to St. Helena the day we fly into SFO and back to San Fran the day we sail. 

Thanks to all for your input.