QM2: Tips re: Brooklyn Embarkation Process

Queenvee

13 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Sorry if I sounded contentious @Victoria2. I didn't mean to be. But it does sound like it's a persistent problem involving multiple lines (mostly or all Carnival at this terminal, yes?). They ought to be able to bring enough pressure to bear to get some action. 

Not Contentious at all and mine was a valid question as I have no idea if embarkation ''hiccups'' are down to Cunard or the port. Whilst we have priority embarkation in Southampton, I have seen the hoards who turn up irrespective of their allotted time which does lead to ''bunching'' at times. We have experienced Manhattan security ship clearance, but not an initial embarkation, and that was bad enough. 

• Like 1

Where I live the unemployment rate is 1.9%, the lowest in decades. Everyone has “We’re hiring” signs with signing bonuses. Health care workers make less than fast food employees. Hiring people to work for port authorities, or a hired contractor to provide the service,  is difficult and they must compete, so they are probably hiring anyone who wants to work. The mention that a worker was brought north from Florida is a huge sign they don’t have enough workers in NY. Huge numbers of people retired at the beginning of the pandemic, and some who returned decided to then retire. We are in a new age of worker shortage, and many lack training. I have had to adjust my expectations for service speed and quality. As pointed out, the issue is the number of people arriving at the same time and if the Coast Guard held up boarding that is out of the control of all involved. There is no excuse for lack of chairs or water.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

Am I mistaken, or is there no special check in for Grill Passengers? It would seem like a nice gesture.

There is, but only after the Queue to enter the terminal, the queue to pass through security, and the queue to complete health etc. paperwork (none of which presented a bottleneck prior to COVID in my experience).

But then the Grills check-in queue is also available to Platinum and Diamond passengers and it seems that a significant fraction of the passengers boarding in New York (for the Caribbean anyway) are Platinum or Diamond.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Underwatr said:

There is, but only after the Queue to enter the terminal, the queue to pass through security, and the queue to complete health etc. paperwork (none of which presented a bottleneck prior to COVID in my experience).

But then the Grills check-in queue is also available to Platinum and Diamond passengers and it seems that a significant fraction of the passengers boarding in New York (for the Caribbean anyway) are Platinum or Diamond.

We are golden passengers and we got directed into the fast track check in queue once we had had our Covid paperwork checked. I think they could see the queue was fairly short and they wanted to avoid adding more people to the very long queue for folks with no or limited loyalty, like us.

To be honest, I think it’s just the luck of the draw on the day.