Cesis Castle from Riga

Has anyone ever done the castle on their own using the train or bus from the port? Looks like there are about five trains a day but the bus goes every hour, much cheaper than the tours or transport options I am seeing. Any idea what a cab would cost? Is Uber or a similar service available!?

5 hours ago, bearette said:

Has anyone ever done the castle on their own using the train or bus from the port? Looks like there are about five trains a day but the bus goes every hour, much cheaper than the tours or transport options I am seeing. Any idea what a cab would cost? Is Uber or a similar service available!?

We are interested in this, too.  We have an overnight in Riga,, , , so not worries about missing the ship.  But, we can not walk a huge distance from public transportation.  I noted in my research is is a very hilly area. TIA for any information

We are on a RC cruise the first week of July with an overnight in Riga.  We plan on renting a car and doing the drive ourselves.  It's only about an hour and a half outside of Riga, and there are other cool things to see in the Sigulda area as well.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:48 PM, bearette said:

Funny you mention that, we decided last night to rent a car and drive it too!

Did you reserve a car?  We dock in Riga at 11:00 according to the ship itinerary. But I’m not sure if that’s ship time, or local time. Stockholm, the starting port, is a different time zone than the other stops (Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga.)