NCL customer service, not good!

jennjess

10 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

@LGW59How many fractured wrists have you seen and dealt with?  I suspect not many or maybe none.  

I've seen and managed a lot.  You might be very surprised at how little pain is associated with many of them.  Sometimes people need to be pushed very hard to have it seen and x-rayed and then they are shocked to learn it's actually fractured.  

I fully understand the lack of urgency on the part of the OP.  I've seen it first hand dozens of times.

Thank you for your input.  It was exactly so that he wasn't in alot of pain and my first thought was that he had just sprained his wrist. We put ice on it and I gave him some painkillers and thought a good nights sleep would be more helpful than a night in a hospital waiting room especially as I knew we would be able to get an x-ray on the ship (which we were to board next day) to see exactly what had happened on the inside.  We were shocked to find out that it was broken and needed to be operated on and were not thinking about anything much else at that point such as contact info for the ship etc..

They had given us a piece of paper which I didn't really look at until the next day which was when I started to try to contact them again without any success.

47 minutes ago, jennjess said:

They were sufficient for our immediate needs in that they had an x-ray machine to make a diagnosis on the injury.  We also could get that done quickly and easily.

We could have stayed in the first public hospital the previous night, which would probably have taken all night, since it was very busy with people who seemed much more in need of urgent help than we did at that point.  It was my son's decision not to stay there btw.  He wasn't in severe pain and I thought it might just have been a sprain and we would see how it was next day.

JMHO, but the medical decisions need to be made by the adults, not by the children.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

JMHO, but the medical decisions need to be made by the adults, not by the children.

But he is a young adult not a child and perfectly able to make his own decisions.  You continue to make assumptions that are incorrect as you have done many times in this thread. 

Edited by jennjess

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I fully understand the lack of urgency on the part of the OP.  I've seen it first hand dozens of times.

The OP had enough sense of urgency to go to a hospital. They chose to leave. They had the option to have been seen by a physician. They chose not to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jennjess said:

No the excursions were booked through NCL they should refund me for those and the pre-paid gratuities, drinks package etc..

Sorry, but in our case, the insurance takes over.  They ask for receipts of those charges and then include that in the refund check.  We used NCL's insurance.

36 minutes ago, kylenyc said:

The OP had enough sense of urgency to go to a hospital. They chose to leave. They had the option to have been seen by a physician. They chose not to.

He was seen by a physician within 14 hours which is possibly quicker than it might have happened had we waited in the hospital.  Have you seen what it's like in a Greek public hospital? Overwhelmed is a good word for it. It wasn't a life or death situation.

Edited by jennjess

1 minute ago, 4 cruisers said:

Sorry, but in our case, the insurance takes over.  They ask for receipts of those charges and then include that in the refund check.  We used NCL's insurance.

OK, we booked direct with NCL.  They can see what we paid for in their itemised bill.  It's very obvious I would have thought for them to work out what they should refund. We didn't have NCL insurance but outside cover.

20 minutes ago, jennjess said:

He was seen by a physician within 12 hours.

I was responding to PATRLR who said they understood your "lack of urgency".

You had enough of a the sense of urgency to speak to a hotel receptionist about medical care. You had enough sense of urgency to interrupt your vacation to go to a hospital to seek medical care. In the end you declined to have a physician visit you at the hotel and you left the hospital when you were there before obtaining a diagnosis and opted to board the ship and seek care from NCL medical staff.

This is based on your account in previous posts.

I have not expressed any new opinion here and leave it up to others to do so... or not.

Edited by kylenyc

28 minutes ago, kylenyc said:

I was responding to PATRLR who said they understood your "lack of urgency".

You had enough of a the sense of urgency to speak to a hotel receptionist about medical care. You had enough sense of urgency to interrupt your vacation to go to a hospital to seek medical care. In the end you declined to have a physician visit you at the hotel and you left the hospital when you were there before obtaining a diagnosis and opted to board the ship and seek care from NCL medical staff.

This is based on your account in previous posts.

I have not expressed any new opinion here and leave it up to others to do so... or not.

None of this is really relevant to the situation in any case as my original post was to note the lack of useful contact information I received and continue to receive from NCL.  It appears I'm not alone in thinking that this is a problem going by a number of the posts in recent days.

The choices we made are what they are and we would probably do the same should it ever happen again. He received good and timely care and is recovering better than expected.

Edited by jennjess

2 minutes ago, jennjess said:

None of this is really relevant to the situation in any case as my original post was to note the lack of useful contact information I received and continue to receive from NCL.  It appears I'm not alone in thinking that this is a problem going by a number of the posts in recent days.

The choices we made are what they are and we would probably do the same should it ever happen again. He received good and timely care and is recovering better than expected.

Then why are you continuing to drag this out?  Because you enjoy the attention your getting, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennjess said:

But he is a young adult not a child and perfectly able to make his own decisions.  You continue to make assumptions that are incorrect as you have done many times in this thread. 

The only reason that I, or anyone else here, had to make assumptions is due to the striking lack of information that you provided. Dribs and drabs and always only enough to support your narrative. You boarded a cruise and then left with no indication that you would return...you even had them fetch your luggage so you could take it with you. You started your vacation and then left before it was over. Why should you be entitled to any type of refund? I know that NCL refunds some items (taxes, port fees) for those who cancel last minute, but those people don't show up, embark, use onboard services, and then leave of their own accord like you did.

That aside, why did the "young adult" not seek medical care on his own? Were you, as a parent, required to be there? Did the "young adult" make the decision for everyone to miss their vacation? Why doesn't the "young adult" handle affairs with NCL? Isn't the "young adult" perfectly able to make the necessary decisions?

I'm starting to think LGW59 is onto something. You didn't get the "emotional support" that you wanted (see post #38) and so now NCL is "bad".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You boarded a cruise and then left with no indication that you would return...you even had them fetch your luggage so you could take it with you. You started your vacation and then left before it was over. Why should you be entitled to any type of refund? I know that NCL refunds some items (taxes, port fees) for those who cancel last minute, but those people don't show up, embark, use onboard services, and then leave of their own accord like you did.

This is it in a nutshell.  Everything else is just drama.

Edited by The Shrike
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

The only reason that I, or anyone else here, had to make assumptions is due to the striking lack of information that you provided. Dribs and drabs and always only enough to support your narrative. You boarded a cruise and then left with no indication that you would return...you even had them fetch your luggage so you could take it with you. You started your vacation and then left before it was over. Why should you be entitled to any type of refund? I know that NCL refunds some items (taxes, port fees) for those who cancel last minute, but those people don't show up, embark, use onboard services, and then leave of their own accord like you did.

That aside, why did the "young adult" not seek medical care on his own? Were you, as a parent, required to be there? Did the "young adult" make the decision for everyone to miss their vacation? Why doesn't the "young adult" handle affairs with NCL? Isn't the "young adult" perfectly able to make the necessary decisions?

I'm starting to think LGW59 is onto something. You didn't get the "emotional support" that you wanted (see post #38) and so now NCL is "bad".

The young adult is autistic and can't deal with these situations on his own.  It's not about emotional support but lack of information provision.  You think it's good customer service to provide unusable contact info?

The young adult is autistic and can't deal with these situations on his own.  It's not about emotional support but lack of information provision.  You think it's good customer service to provide unusable contact info?

Just a few posts back you said "But he is a young adult not a child and perfectly able to make his own decisions" (Note: "perfectly able to make his own decisions") and now you reveal that he is autistic and can't deal with these situations on his own. 

Do you see what I meant earlier about drips and drabs of information? It's confusing trying to keep up with the ever changing details of the story. There is a HUGE difference between "perfectly able to make his own decisions" and "can't deal with these situations on his own".

Bottom line here is that you left the cruise of your own accord. Thus, you severed the provider/customer relationship. NCL shouldn't be involved once you leave...especially when the reason for you leaving (the pre-cruise injury) also has nothing to do with NCL.

If you have questions at this point, they should just be directed to the post-cruise department via their contact information...which is listed on the CONTACT US page of NCL's website. 

• Like 1

Someone else ressurrected this thread not me.

Maybe so, but you aren't required to address each and every person who leaves their opinion, right?

I mean, you can...you just don't HAVE to. You can post a question and simply read the responses, or you can choose to provide a retort to each and every one...the choice is yours, but don't blame others when you could just walk away.

5 hours ago, jennjess said:

He was seen by a physician within 14 hours which is possibly quicker than it might have happened had we waited in the hospital.  Have you seen what it's like in a Greek public hospital? Overwhelmed is a good word for it. It wasn't a life or death situation.

I agree as a pediatrician a broken bone is not life or death and if the waiting room was as bad as you said I would have left too. Don’t let the arm chair doctors guilt you into thinking you did something wrong leaving that night.  Accessing medical care out of your home country is always a challenge. I walked on a broken bone for a week before I had time for an X-ray.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Shrike said:

I'm going to wait three weeks before chiming in with my opinion.  😄😁😉

I was busy on a cruise when this thread was started, and did not see it until a couple of days ago. So I am chiming in now. I am a little disturbed that some people just want to lecture the OP about how they handled the situation. I feel that the OP just wanted to let others know that if you have an issue, you are on your own, and also wanted some guidance on the best way to communicate to NCL that they are due a refund for missed excursions and port fees. Since they did board the ship, and leaving the ship was not due to Covid, the rest of the money they would like refunded, will likely have to come from their insurance company.

To the OP I would like to let her know that I do not blame her for waiting until getting on board to see a doctor. I badly sprained my wrist when I was a young teen when I fell while roller skating. My parents gave me ice and I went to bed. In the morning it was very swollen so my mom took me to our doctor to get x-rays. The doctor wrapped up my wrist and Mom sent me to school with a note saying why I was late. I do not think my parents did anything wrong. 

Not staying in a crowded ER where none of you would get any rest was a good idea. The only thing I may have done differently was see the doctor that the hotel was willing to call. 

I do not think that NCL should be giving people contact info that is useless. If they can not help you once you get off the ship, they should be up front about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I agree as a pediatrician a broken bone is not life or death and if the waiting room was as bad as you said I would have left too. Don’t let the arm chair doctors guilt you into thinking you did something wrong leaving that night.  Accessing medical care out of your home country is always a challenge. I walked on a broken bone for a week before I had time for an X-ray.

The only thing people here think that was "wrong" was trying to blame NCL for the what happened after they decided to delay medical care. And, FWIW, they did decide to leave that night, their autistic child made the decision to leave and delay medical care...not the parents. As a pediatrician, you can certainly understand that a parent should leave medical decisions to autistic children, right?

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am a little disturbed that some people just want to lecture the OP about how they handled the situation. I feel that the OP just wanted to let others know that if you have an issue, you are on your own, and also wanted some guidance on the best way to communicate to NCL that they are due a refund for missed excursions and port fees.

What a person is owed is different if you cancel pre-cruise as opposed to embarking and then turning around and leaving. And we all know that if you have an issue pre-cruise, and that you have to seek outside medical care for that issue that NCL has nothing to do with it...of course you are "on your own". Being that this happened pre-cruise, shouldn't their hotel have done all the hand-holding that is being requested of NCL here?

I also get that you are disturbed that some people want to lecture the OP about how they handled the situation, but isn't it a little bit hypocritical for you to then lecture us about how we responded? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I was busy on a cruise when this thread was started, and did not see it until a couple of days ago. So I am chiming in now. I am a little disturbed that some people just want to lecture the OP about how they handled the situation. I feel that the OP just wanted to let others know that if you have an issue, you are on your own, and also wanted some guidance on the best way to communicate to NCL that they are due a refund for missed excursions and port fees. Since they did board the ship, and leaving the ship was not due to Covid, the rest of the money they would like refunded, will likely have to come from their insurance company.

To the OP I would like to let her know that I do not blame her for waiting until getting on board to see a doctor. I badly sprained my wrist when I was a young teen when I fell while roller skating. My parents gave me ice and I went to bed. In the morning it was very swollen so my mom took me to our doctor to get x-rays. The doctor wrapped up my wrist and Mom sent me to school with a note saying why I was late. I do not think my parents did anything wrong. 

Not staying in a crowded ER where none of you would get any rest was a good idea. The only thing I may have done differently was see the doctor that the hotel was willing to call. 

I do not think that NCL should be giving people contact info that is useless. If they can not help you once you get off the ship, they should be up front about it.

If the OP didn't want to be lectured about the situation she shouldn't have parceled out her almost unbelievable story in bits and pieces, forcing people to ask for clarity again and again.  She did this while hammering home the fact that it was her decision - sorry, make that the decision of her autistic child who in her own words "can't deal with these situations on his own", yet for some reason she let him make decisions to deal with the situation - that caused them to leave the ship after embarkation.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruising sister said:

It is helpful to hear from those in the medical profession so thank you for your input.

When you arrive at a hospital to see people on gurneys parked outside the entrance and in the reception area, who frankly looked to need urgent care far more than we did, then the decision to leave again wasn't difficult to make.

If my son had been screaming in agony we would obviously have stayed but he wasn't in that much pain and we felt a bit like frauds for even being there.

11 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I agree that the cruise company does not have to refund me for the cruise itself just the additional addons.  I have already put in a claim with the insurance for the cruise charge.  It's a long wait for all these refunds it seems.

It didn't seem worthwhile calling a doctor to visit since he would only have told us to go get an x-ray, which we already knew was necessary, hence the visit to the hospital.

The moral of the story is that NCL do not provide any helpful contact info once you leave the ship for an emergency.  It would be in their own best interest to sort that out.