Hotel between Heathrow and London

So we are planning ahead in case one of us tests positive and is unable to take our scheduled flight on the day we disembark, June 19.  We are scheduled to take LFT at Heathrow before our flight, however we want to be prepared for the ‘What ifs?’  Looking for a hotel to do our quarantine that is maybe between Heathrow and London?  One that would be in a small town or village with outdoor parks so that we could be outside, away from people, assuming a mild case of Covid.  Near to restaurants where we could get takeout, close enough to get back to Heathrow when we can fly.  Does anyone have thoughts about where we might look?

8 hours ago, poindexter said:

Looking for a hotel to do our quarantine that is maybe between Heathrow and London? One that would be in a small town or village with outdoor parks so that we could be outside, away from people, assuming a mild case of Covid. Near to restaurants where we could get takeout, close enough to get back to Heathrow when we can fly. Does anyone have thoughts about where we might look?

First, I think that you shouldn't be looking "between Heathrow and London". Frankly, most of it is dreary suburbia, and you'd need a good reason to pick anywhere that fits that bill.

Second, you'd only need to get to Heathrow once, at the end of your stay. So don't fret about being "close enough to get back to Heathrow". You'll be able to do that from wherever you are. The more important thing is to know how to get there without too much fuss at short notice, which is what your idea implies.

For how long (assuming current rules remain in place) would you need to be in the hotel?

Worth noting that the UK no longer requires quarantine for a positive Covid test. Our government says you're free to go out and infect anyone you  might come across.

Richmond would seem to tick the boxes. It's a small town area (although in the general London urban area) with a variety of hotels, to suit different budgets. Two good outdoor areas in the form of Richmond Park and the Kew Botanic Gardens. And it's on the Thames, as well. Good selection of restaurants (with several serviced by home delivery firm, Deliveroo).

I've often stayed in Richmond and the surrounding area when I've been visiting to do research at the National Archives. For these visits, I'm usually OK to stay in one of the budget chain hotels but, one trip, I scored a deal at the 4* Richmond Hill Hotel and can thoroughly recommend it. Perfect location, literally across the road from Richmond Park and ashort walk into  the town centre.

Edited by Harters

40 minutes ago, Harters said:

Richmond would seem to tick the boxes.

Quarantine in England is currently a very relaxed ruling, it relies on the good sense and honour of the infected person to avoid contact with others for five days. 

Heathrow is just inside the M25 London ring road and, in line with Globaliser's post, it's pretty-well all urban sprawl inside the M25 ring road - and indeed beyond it.

So look west , between LHR and Reading or toward Oxford.

But (good spot by Harters) altho Richmond is inside the M25 sprawl, it's one of the rare exceptions, with huge Richmond Park and other open areas close by. And only about 10 miles from LHR.

Bear in mind that your LFT must be taken no sooner than the day before your travel, so if (and it's probably better than a 99% chance) you test negative you'll need to cancel the hotel. So you need to book with late cancellation rights. Plenty of hotels offer cancellation rights, though many require 3 + days notice, which won't fit your needs.

Richmond Hill hotel allows free cancellation up to 2pm on the first day of the booked stay, though like most others which allow free late cancellation a stay will cost about 10% more with those cancellation rights.

If I booked on those terms for an unlikely scenario I think I'd tattoo a reminder to cancel on my forehead 😉

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/richmondhillhotel.en-gb.html?aid=376362&label=bh-yRUEyMXdyFdX6V220K8x8QS541115883818%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap22%2C563%2C000%3Aac%3Aap%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atiaud-1183547560947%3Akwd-1983705807%3Alp1006715%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm%3Appccp%3DUmFuZG9tSVYkc2RlIyh9YTQUGSsRwx9_llxDbUbGjaI&sid=07d12490bb05c128d7b4e5cb5de65d79&all_sr_blocks=23163911_91468128_0_2_0;checkin=2022-06-15;checkout=2022-06-16;dest_id=231639;dest_type=hotel;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;highlighted_blocks=23163911_91468128_0_2_0;hpos=1;matching_block_id=23163911_91468128_0_2_0;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;sr_pri_blocks=23163911_91468128_0_2_0__20298;srepoch=1653387816;srpvid=6f5e49138d1c06b7;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to keep it simple and take the Heathrow Express from Heathrow to Paddington Station. Staying at the Best Western which we can walk to and have two easy tube and bus stations nearby. Also in walking distance to Hyde Park. Just a thought!