First time on HAL

Hobby3333

I have sailed on several with about 50 cruises so far.   By far my favorite is MSC YC.   We will be on the Westerdam in late September.   What would you say are the differences that would separate HAL from the other lines?  We just got back from another Carnival cruise (I am Platinum) and feel that we would enjoy HAL.

a few years ago the saying among the on board TA was "Westie is the bestie"

But also I am hearing good things about the "Rotterdam".

Hal has made a big effort into quality music with jazz, classical, and other type.  All the venues are near each other.   Hal has nice promenade around the ship and a lot of the ships have a pool in the back.

2 hours ago, Hobby3333 said:

By far my favorite is MSC YC.

You will not find a repeat of YC on HAL even if you have a Neptune Suite.  The products are different.  

Westerdam is a great ship.  Many good memories of my sailings on her.  

Since you are Platinum on Carnival, that tells me that you are like me:  we enjoy different kinds of cruise experiences.  (Check my signature for my history.)  If I am correct, you will enjoy your cruise on Westerdam, but, don't expect a YC experience.  

I am not looking for YC on Holland.   I want good experience with service and dining.  I am not looking for a loud hairy chest contest on the lido.  We are past that.  I like the older ships with good service.  We have never done an Alaska cruise.   We wanted something different.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

I want good experience with service and dining.  I am not looking for a loud hairy chest contest on the lido.  We are past that.  I like the older ships with good service.  We have never done an Alaska cruise.   We wanted something different.  

I don't think you will be disappointed.  If Rudi's Sel de Mer is available on your ship, either as a stand alone restaurant or as a pop-up, I encourage you to try them. 

HAL's Alaska cruise program is very good, informative, educational, and with the best dock locations in the ports.  

• Like 1

We're just off our first HAL cruise, to Alaska, (Nieuw Amsterdam) on May 15th. We also loved, loved, loved, MSC Divina - it's still our favorite cruise line.  I would say HAL has great service and absolutely great dining. There is definitely no chest contests, loud blaring music, or drunken booze cruise people on the Alaska HAL cruise we just had.

It was also very different from the Caribbean cruises we've done - and we loved it. We had an aft balcony, on the 7th deck, and the service was outstanding. We'll be cruising Alaska again for sure. Not sure if we'd go with HAL. While the jazz, the park ranger narration in Glacier Bay National Park, the classes were nice, it was just a bit too sedate for us. There was Mahjong, and card games, and a great art gallery. There were no children (probably still in school prior to Memorial Day) and no college students. Definitely an older crowd.  The ship was immaculate, and well maintained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DH and I are 4 Star Mariners on Holland and Diamonds on Carnival. We love Holland the most because of the elegant ships, superior food, wonderful suites, and a fabulous crew. Our last two Carnival cruises (this month) were less than stellar experiences because of mediocre food, very loud and drunken passengers - things you won't find on the Westerdam. We have never sailed on MSC, but did have one booked recently and then cancelled it. Decided it wouldn't be for us after talking to good friends who have sailed on MSC. We have 4 Holland cruises booked and no Carnival - I think our last Carnival cruises have sailed.