Ship wi-if and pre-return Covid testing - success!

cangelmd

I had a good bit of angst about getting our Covid tests done prior to returning to US and I want to report success with ship wi-fi.

Tips:

Have to have the premium streaming wi-fi. We only upgraded my account, and could not access YouTube (that was our measure) on my husbands account.

We did our pre-embarkation test in our Amsterdam hotel with Abbott and Emed so had experience with the process.

Because we only had one upgraded streaming account, he had to sign out of my Navica and Emed accounts on my phone and sign into his accounts - so have all your passwords handy and follow the screen instructions step by step.

We bought a tripod stand for the phone and that was a big help.

We also elected to print our results. Emailed the PDF to guest services and they printed out for us. In retrospect, I would have gone down to guest services a couple of days ahead to facilitate this part. They have the email address printed up to give you, so I could have emailed them from my stateroom.

We did our tests around noon on our last day, which was a sea day. We noticed that the wi-if was slower when the ship was docked, much slower.

The biggest advantage to doing the test this way, was we did not have to walk off our bags, or worry about getting to airport fast enough. If I had known, we would have added a day to the end of the trip.

It works!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, danv3 said:

Good information. Appreciate the first hand report. 

Still hoping the requirement goes away though!

LOL, don’t we all! I wouldn’t plan on it until at the absolute earliest 2023.

Thanks for the ‘real life’ info about this; we are planning to do the same in about a month when we disembark the Silhouette. A couple questions:

1) what was the wait time to get a proctor for both of your tests? 
2) what day of the week was this?

3) what ship were you on?

4) was it necessary to have the printed copy or just nice to have?

Appreciate the tips, too 👍🏻

3 hours ago, WeBcruisingMN said:

Thanks for the ‘real life’ info about this; we are planning to do the same in about a month when we disembark the Silhouette. A couple questions:

1) what was the wait time to get a proctor for both of your tests? 
2) what day of the week was this?

3) what ship were you on?

4) was it necessary to have the printed copy or just nice to have?

Appreciate the tips, too 👍🏻

I will let the OP answer but have done a couple tests while aboard.

1.  Wait time usually no more than 30 seconds

2.  Day of the week really didn't matter.   I've done tests on Week Days, Holidays and Weekend with no difference in wait time

3.  Printed Copy is not required

4.   I did mine on Solstice , Silhouettes and Constellation

One further suggestion was to use an earbud.   Many of the proctors are from India and the Philippines and occasionally I have had one that was hard to understand  (also maybe my hearing). 

If using a phone getting a cheap tripod is rally helpful as you have to keep the test in view of the camera for the entire 15 minute processing time.   When the 15 minutes are up you press a button and are connected to an agent to read your results.

• Like 1