Naples - Train and Boat to Pompeii and Sorrento

drevil0208

I think I've planned out a decent self-guided excursion from Naples to Pompeii and Sorrento by train and returning by ferry.  Do these times allow enough time in each place (we are on the NCL Epic and are docked from 6am until 5pm).

- Tram from port to Porta Nolana station

- 8:00 train from Porta Nolana to Pompeii arriving 8:35

- do ruins

- 11:23 train from Pompeeii to Sorrento arriving 11:58 (maybe one train earlier if we've had enough of Pompeii)

- look around Sorrento and grab a quick to go lunch

- 14:00 ferry from Sorrento to Naples arriving 14:45

- grab some pizza in Naples

Would this work ok?  A couple of questions... where do you buy a ticket for the tram near the port?  Someone mentioned you buy your ticket from a nearby store?  What about for the Circumvesuviana?  I see on the website that you can just tap a credit card at the entrance gate and again when you get off... does this work for out of country (Canadian) credit cards?

Thanks!

First, I don't think you are allowing yourself enough time in Pompeii, unless you really do just want a quite cursory look. The site doesn't open until 9am, so if you get there early you'll be waiting a little bit (although by the time you walk to the entrance from the 8:35 train it will be nearly opening time...)  However, if you want to catch the onward train to Sorrento at 11:23, you would have to start heading back to the train station FROM THE ENTRANCE by about 11:00 am....and Pompeii is huge. You will constantly need to be monitoring your time and probably will be limited in how far you can get from the main entrance and still get back. 

Also, because of the size of the site, if you just arrive there without a plan, you're likely going to miss many of the best bits. You might get to the main Forum and maybe one or two houses -- but will they be the ones worth seeing, e.g., with good frescoes and mosaics?  And will you have time to see the amphitheatre? the baths?  

Regarding tickets:  Once you exit the cruise ship terminal, there is a large busy street in front of you (via Cristoforo Colombo), where the trams and buses run. There used to be a small kiosk near the stop that sold tickets. However, with all the construction in that area in past years and the fact that I haven't actually come to Naples via the cruise port in a while @euro cruisermay have better answer than I.

Personally, I would skip Sorrento and the ferry ride.  I found Sorrento underwhelming and not worth the stop that my excursion did (lunch).   Spend more time at Pompeii as cruisemom42 suggests.  Then return to Naples when you've had enough and get a late lunch in Naples and explore Naples some and walk leisurely back to your ship.  

The beauty of a DIY day is that you can make this a game-day call.  If you're enjoying Pompei, stay and simply come back the way you arrived.  If you're done and ready to push on, head to Sorrento.

I haven't been down to check out the port area since before Covid so I don't have any recent insight about ticket purchase, unfortunately.  Just ask around, it won't be hard to find.

Trains from Pompeii to Sorrento or back to Naples every half-hour, 7 days a week.

And I agree with Cruisemom about the time you've allowed for Pompeii, when you get there you may agree or disagree.

We also agree that altho Sorrento is charming it's pretty unremarkable, but then I think the same about Naples.

Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes.

But Sorrento is certainly a pleasant place to relax even if you have to wait an hour or more for a ferry, and a cool refreshing ferry-ride back to Naples.

I share Eurocruiser's concerns about ferry ticketing - there should be no problem with a mid-afternoon ferry,  but a late afternoon ne may book-out.

If you really want to consider including everywhere, you could do it in reverse.

The Sorrento ferry is very convenient to the ship.

Decide whether you agree with us about Sorrento

Train to Pompeii, see how Pompeii grabs you.

Choose to spend the rest of the day there or head back to spend time in Naples -the station is convenient to the town

The downside of this way round is that you'll be at Pompeii at the hottest time-of-day.

In a nutshell, the same as Eurocruiser - keep the day fluid.

JB 🙂