Document of Recovery Questions -

renysmom

I know this has been gone over before but I’m still confused…. I need this spelled out to me in English I guess.  We are scheduled to sail to Alaska on June 20th

I MUST attend an in person staff meeting next week for work (June 2), there will be 85 in attendance and I have done all I can to get out of attending it but cannot.   I plan to stay away from everyone as much as possible and wear a N95 mask to protect myself from catching Covid.  Besides this meeting my husband and I are pretty much in lock down trying not to get sick before we fly across country and then sail.

Based on the statement from Carnival below and if I am reading this and doing the math correctly IF one of us were to watch Covid BEFORE June 10th all we need to bring with is a copy of our in person positive Covid test BUT if we were to test positive June 11 - June 20 we cannot go without a negative test or we cannot go at all?

As for this Document of Recovery - Do I need a note from my Doctor that I am okay to travel along with the copy of the “positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date)”. ?  I have read some say yes and some say no yet no one is sharing where it says yes or no to the Dr. Note. 

Is there anyone here who has sailed under the Document of Recovery rules and can personally tell me their experience? 

I am beyond stressed out over not understanding the dates involved and what to do if I do get Covid from this stupid June 2nd meeting.

From Carnival’s Site:

Document of Recovery

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).

My husband and I were recently on an Alaskan cruise on the Spirit and we used the document of recovery. We tested positive 13 days before the cruise, got the positive PCR test from Walgreens, and the Dr note.  

We had everything printed out and ready to go at check in. They immediately asked for the Dr. note, (even though Carnival’s website it did not say anything about a note from the Dr).  Then they had to call over two other people to review everything. It was a very long and stressful process, but we were finally given the green light.  I would highly recommend the Dr. note, it’s better to have it and not need it.

As for the timing of the positive test, if you test positive more than 10 days before, you can do the document of recovery. If you test positive with less than 10 days and somehow get a negative test 2 days prior, I guess it would be up to you to decide what to do. Personally, I wouldn’t cruise. There is still the health survey to fill out. We filled out ours honestly.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you! 

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). I did test positive and did get my test at a Walgreens.  I am 12 days out (with no symptoms) from my sail date and good to go.  There is no place to say we need a Dr. note on the website.  What does that really prove? We called the Dr and they told us to stay home and self-monitor our symptoms (which were mild bc we are 4x vacced). Dr really did nothing for us. 

So, why the Dr. note?

48 minutes ago, coldinerie said:

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). I did test positive and did get my test at a Walgreens.  I am 12 days out (with no symptoms) from my sail date and good to go.  There is no place to say we need a Dr. note on the website.  What does that really prove? We called the Dr and they told us to stay home and self-monitor our symptoms (which were mild bc we are 4x vacced). Dr really did nothing for us. 

So, why the Dr. note?

According to the web site and John Heald (who has stated this multiple times on his FB page) all that is needed is the positive test and your health assessment stating you have no symptoms. A letter used to be required, it is not any longer. 

Just because you will be in a crowd of 85 doesn't mean you'll get COVID.

If you do more than 10 days before your cruise, by CDC guidelines you are OK to go on the cruise as normal. 5 days to isolate, 5 days afterward to wear a mask, after that you are normal again.

You should test negative two days before your cruise with a rapid antigen test, and if you do then I wouldn't fool with the document of recovery. Just show the negative test and enjoy.