Lock or Unlock????

caribbeanqueenie

There are no TSA personnel at the ports (at least, not yet) so there won't be anybody there with TSA locks. Everything, including your bags, that goes onboard a ship is X-rayed. Unless you have them filled with titanium:eek: , bottles, and especially the concoction that is inside those bottles, will not show up. You have a better chance of them breaking and the contents ruining your possessions! If anybody wants you to open your suitcases, they will tell you at check-in and/or page you on the ship for you to unlock them. If we're not using TSA locks, we will lock our suitcases upon retrieving them at bagage claim at the airport and/or if we're spending the night in a hotel the night before the cruise, we will lock them before going to the port. Never had a problem:)

Being from the Great White North, does anybody know if these locks are available for sale and approved for use in Canada?

According to Boards, post #21 above, they bought their TSA approved locks at Walmart, in Canada (in the luggage department).:)

My wife ordered a set of three TSA locks from QVC (she's addicted) just before our April 15 cruise on the Oosterdam. Of course, they were waiting for us at home, when we returned. I know that AAA sells them, as well.

Since the locks didn't arrive in time, I used plastic cable ties. When we got to the ship, they had not been cut, so TSA didn't open the bags.

BTW, I believe that TSA has relaxed their regulations a little bit and you are now allowed to carry nail-clippers on your person.

One thing that bothers me about TSA locks: no organization as large as TSA can keep track of the keys that they have. I suspect that each TSA office around the country buys them by the gross, which disappear quickly. Therefore, I can't help having this nagging feeling that there are a lot of non-TSA personnel who have (possible illegally) in their possession, a key that will open the locks. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but you know what they say: "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get you!".

Paul Noble

Paul:

You're not paranoid. I wouldn't be surprised if one could buy the keys on e-bay. There was a story in the paper last week about a local guy who bought (on e-bay) one of those devices that emergency equipment uses to turn lights at intersections green!

Having flown alot for business for over 7 years, I always lock my luggage or secure it in some way. Like the TSA locks. I have green and it helps to identify my bags. I always remember the story of my friend/co-worker about her undies making their way around the belt in luggage claim and her suitcase being partially opened. People watching her collecting her belongings off the belt and stuffing them inside her bag. :eek: She still blushes to this day telling the story.

Anyone who wants to use the electrical cable ties also can get them at Radio Shack.

I once read in Conde Nast or Travel and Leisure that some countries abroad have locked luggage regs too. Since TSA is a US agency, I figured the TSA locks would be like any other lock in some places outside of US. So I stay with the cable ties. Does anyone have more info about the use of TSA locks outside the US.

I really appreciate this thread...we've been using the plastic "zip-ties" for all of our airline flights and then replaced them with the little luggage paddocks before we left our bags with the porters at the pier. I knew there were TSA locks "available" somewhere, but have never seen them. The "zip-ties" always worked well for us...until last year when the "officials" at the airport told us that if they needed to remove the "zip-ties" to inspect our luggage, they wouldn't be replacing them with new ones...they didn't have any available to them. I gladly gave them a handful so they could put them on my luggage (I use colored ones and gave them a different color that what I had on my bags, so I would know if they had opened my suitcases). Fortunately, they replaced my "zip-ties" with the ones I had given them, but I'm not so sure that I would be so fortunate the next time!

After seeing all of the different TSA locks available on the Magellan website, I took a trip to our local Walmart last night. I figured if Walmart had them, they'd definitely be less expensive than ordering them on the internet. Walmart had three of the different types of TSA locks that are featured on the Magellan website...and the pricing was MUCH less! We bought the brightly colored MINI LOCKS. Walmart had them three to a package for a little less than $6...Magellan sells them individually for $4.85 + shipping. Needless to say, we bought two packages at Walmart!

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION...since the TSA officials at the airports have keys to open all of these TSA locks, has anyone ever had the locks cut or broken? Has anyone ever not had their TSA locks put back on their suitcases? I hate to make an investment in something I deem "permenant" (no matter how inexpensive it may be) only to have it broken or turn up "missing". At least the "zip-ties" are an expendable item...I just am concerned with my luggage being "secured" again after the "zip-ties" are removed.

It also seems to me that the "zip-ties" might be a more expedient "lock" for the TSA officials to deal with. The special TSA padlocks would definitely take more time to remove and reattach. I'm just wondering what the more "experienced" travelers think?

Debjo

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION...since the TSA officials at the airports have keys to open all of these TSA locks, has anyone ever had the locks cut or broken? Has anyone ever not had their TSA locks put back on their suitcases? I hate to make an investment in something I deem "permenant" (no matter how inexpensive it may be) only to have it broken or turn up "missing". At least the "zip-ties" are an expendable item...I just am concerned with my luggage being "secured" again after the "zip-ties" are removed.

It also seems to me that the "zip-ties" might be a more expedient "lock" for the TSA officials to deal with. The special TSA padlocks would definitely take more time to remove and reattach. I'm just wondering what the more "experienced" travelers think?

Debjo

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as TSA "zip-ties". If TSA wants to open your bag, those zip-ties will be cut off and thrown away since they don't work real well once cut in half;) . Under those circumstances, TSA is under no obligation to replace zip-ties. To answer your question, we've never had a problem with TSA locks having to be "cut open" or "turning up missing" since we've been using them (and our bags have been inspected since we started using them).

For Copper10-8...

Thanks for sharing your experiences John...it is comforting to know that we probably won't have any "lose" of our newly purchased TSA locks!

Debjo

Archived