Split On Your Own

I am going to Split on a RCL cruise this July and want to try to explore Split on our own while we are there, since it seems close enough to walk from the cruise port. 

I do want to visit Trogir if possible, has anyone tried taking the bus there? Was it easy to navigate? Trying to avoid paying $100 for 2 of us to go on a bus ride with the cruise line... 

11 hours ago, bclittle said:

I am going to Split on a RCL cruise this July and want to try to explore Split on our own while we are there, since it seems close enough to walk from the cruise port. 

I do want to visit Trogir if possible, has anyone tried taking the bus there? Was it easy to navigate? Trying to avoid paying $100 for 2 of us to go on a bus ride with the cruise line... 

Split is very easy to do on your own. Leave time to explore the remains of the palace -- there is an inexpensive tour of the well preserved cellar (foundations of the palace but the rooms mirror those above) or you can just wander on your own. At the level of the modern town you should definitely plan to visit the vestibule of the palace but also don't miss the small Cathedral of St. Domnius (built originally as the mausoleum for Emperor Diocletian and with wonderful carved stone decoration) and also the baptistery, which was originally built as a temple to the Roman god Jupiter.

I also enjoyed walking all around with a map of the original palace, trying to find traces of it here and there, as well as doing a full circuit around the well-preserved walls of the Palace.

As to Trogir, sorry but I didn't really think it was anything special. Small place, very crowded. The church was pretty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We took the bus to Trogir on our second visit.  Very small and probably quite pretty but we had to almost push our way through the crowds of visitors from cruise tours and land tours which had descended in large numbers.  We never really got the chance to see it properly. That was a  morning.  Maybe quieter in the afternoons or early evenings?.

OTOH Split has so much to offer that we were not stuck for choice even on our third visit.  In addition to the usual Palace etc,do explore the back streets which are lovely to walk through, have a drink somewhere on the promenade,and also go further along to the Veli Varos area (used to be the fishermens neighbourhood back in the day)at the end of the promenade,  and justt before it takes a left to the old harbour. Cross the road and enter the narrow streets (I think there was a little church there)and just continue walking uphill. You can happily meander uphil through the narrow streets to reach the viewpoint part way up Marjan Hill.  From there you can continue uphill to the summit.  There are also steps up to the viewpoint, but it is a more gradual and easier walk through the neighbourhood.  There was a lot of gentrification going onin Veli Varos  with some really pretty properties. We found an online description and map of Veli Varos which we followed.  The views from the viewpoint are wonderfiul, but we didn't climb any higher than that.  There is a cafe at the viewpoint..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 3:04 AM, lisaatric said:

We are going as well in October and I was researching just last night. Taking the ferry to Solta sounds nice. Has anyone done this?  

I live in Split (Znjan beach) with my British husband. I answered your post because we are planning to take a walk on on the MSC Armonia in October. We take the ferry mainly to Hvar and Brac. Anything else feel free to ask.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:53 AM, bclittle said:

Hello, just remember it is very hot in July and very crowded. At the market end of the Riva there is a model of the old town so you can orientate yourself on it.The bus depot is on the dock. Most people speak English, buses usually have good aircon. Trogir is older than Split, the Greeks were there before the Romans. Would I travel there by bus in July , not really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:21 AM, Znjan said:

I live in Split (Znjan beach) with my British husband. I answered your post because we are planning to take a walk on on the MSC Armonia in October. We take the ferry mainly to Hvar and Brac. Anything else feel free to ask.

Planning on touring old town and then heading to a beach for a few hours. The water is so clear there (in pictures, never been there myself yet).  Have a suggestion for us?  We don't mind walking and will for sure want to get in the water but also wouldn't mind shade or chairs/umbrellas because some of the beaches look like they are stones rather than sand. Would also like to grab something to eat while on the beach (or close by) as well. 

9 hours ago, WomanRN said:

Planning on touring old town and then heading to a beach for a few hours. The water is so clear there (in pictures, never been there myself yet).  Have a suggestion for us?  We don't mind walking and will for sure want to get in the water but also wouldn't mind shade or chairs/umbrellas because some of the beaches look like they are stones rather than sand. Would also like to grab something to eat while on the beach (or close by) as well. 

Yes get a 15 bus from the stop next to the green market to Znjan beach (very frequent) ask the driver for the stop near the Amphora Hotel . For the able bodied there are plenty of benches under trees for shade. For the disabled or less able, there is one of the best beaches in europe. From a jetty you have an electric chair lift and  graduated steps onto a platform in the sea. Next to it is the Elderly beach with benches and umbrellas on a concrete platform. Full wheel chair access to the beach and sea. Toilets showers and changing room. The next door beaches are all stone. There are beach bars that usually have food like pizza. Me then my husband 67715511_626163944539791_5080529682160418816_n.thumb.jpg.54d7a184537777c5de423d3c651c473d.jpg58680918_567735557049297_8320582937871384576_n.thumb.jpg.7a63bcfc1fd4effb6d0cbcc7f38e1e4d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 10:19 PM, Znjan said:

Yes get a 15 bus from the stop next to the green market to Znjan beach (very frequent) ask the driver for the stop near the Amphora Hotel . For the able bodied there are plenty of benches under trees for shade. For the disabled or less able, there is one of the best beaches in europe. From a jetty you have an electric chair lift and  graduated steps onto a platform in the sea. Next to it is the Elderly beach with benches and umbrellas on a concrete platform. Full wheel chair access to the beach and sea. Toilets showers and changing room. The next door beaches are all stone. There are beach bars that usually have food like pizza. Me then my husband 58680918_567735557049297_8320582937871384576_n.thumb.jpg.7a63bcfc1fd4effb6d0cbcc7f38e1e4d.jpg

Wow!! That looks perfect!  Thanks so much 🙂

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 7:21 AM, Znjan said:

How hard is it to go to Klis from the port?  Is Kliss Fortress worth going to see?

• 9 months later...
On 5/30/2022 at 10:57 AM, edinburgher said:

We took the bus to Trogir on our second visit.  Very small and probably quite pretty but we had to almost push our way through the crowds of visitors from cruise tours and land tours which had descended in large numbers.  We never really got the chance to see it properly. That was a  morning.  Maybe quieter in the afternoons or early evenings?.

OTOH Split has so much to offer that we were not stuck for choice even on our third visit.  In addition to the usual Palace etc,do explore the back streets which are lovely to walk through, have a drink somewhere on the promenade,and also go further along to the Veli Varos area (used to be the fishermens neighbourhood back in the day)at the end of the promenade,  and justt before it takes a left to the old harbour. Cross the road and enter the narrow streets (I think there was a little church there)and just continue walking uphill. You can happily meander uphil through the narrow streets to reach the viewpoint part way up Marjan Hill.  From there you can continue uphill to the summit.  There are also steps up to the viewpoint, but it is a more gradual and easier walk through the neighbourhood.  There was a lot of gentrification going onin Veli Varos  with some really pretty properties. We found an online description and map of Veli Varos which we followed.  The views from the viewpoint are wonderfiul, but we didn't climb any higher than that.  There is a cafe at the viewpoint..

I know this is an older post, but did you have any issue using a credit card in Split? 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

know this is an older post, but did you have any issue using a credit card in Split? 

Unless you are trying to use AMEX, (not at all popular with businesses in Europe and may not always be accepted) Croatia is a member country of the EU and their currency is now the euro. You should in theory have no issues using Visa or MC.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1