Biblical Tours in Ephesus

I'm not sure how extensive a Biblical tour in Ephesus would be, as it was primarily a late-Roman pagan community. There is the theater where Paul was supposed to have preached, but our guide told us that he was actually arrested in the Agora before reaching the theater, and a house that Mary is supposed to have lived in although it's unproven. The main archaeological sites, however, are more about pagan religion than Christian (or Jewish, but there are no identified Jewish sites in Ephesus). 

Anyway, we found Ephesus Shuttle very responsive in arranging a custom tour, so you might try looking at their standard tours and then, if none seems exactly right, emailing them about a custom tour. 

Does your cruise also call at Patmos? It's where St. John is believed to have written Revelation, in a cave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with using Ephesus Shuttle.  They were great, very informative, professional and responsive to emails, etc.  If I remember correctly, our tour included a buffet lunch at a farmers home and it was fabulous.  You will visit the ruins - including the "library", walk all through the sacred grounds, visit Mary's house & the burial of John the Baptiste.  You will not be disappointed! 

We used Magic-Steps for our tour in 2019. Although it was a pagan city, there is a lot of Christian history because that is where Paul, Aquila and Priscilla lived for three years. Focus on appreciating the ruins of Ephesus, the street where Paul probably had his shop and the theatre, and St. John's Basilica.

The House of the Virgin Mary is probably only important for Roman Catholics as the only verification of this site was a vision by a German nun (who never went to Ephesus.)  Lots of candles, holy water, etc. As a Protestant, I would skip it.

The Basilica of St. John gives you an idea of the early church and Byzantine times.  The temple of Artemis is in ruins and only one column remains.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 8:23 PM, Tbird58 said:

I agree with using Ephesus Shuttle.  They were great, very informative, professional and responsive to emails, etc.  If I remember correctly, our tour included a buffet lunch at a farmers home and it was fabulous.  You will visit the ruins - including the "library", walk all through the sacred grounds, visit Mary's house & the burial of John the Baptiste.  You will not be disappointed! 

I don't think John the Baptist was buried here. I think you mean John the Apostle. He was buried there but his remains were removed when Muslim invaders took over the city.

• Like 1