What happens when you miss return flight home?

kstmommy

Ok, I have a question. I'm sailing Glory in late April from Port Canaveral. I've waited to book airfare and now I'm getting a little nervous. In order to get a later departing flight, it's going to cost me around $60 - $80 more per ticket. This may not seem like alot to some people, but it is for me when a 11:45am flight is so much cheaper. My question is this. What happens if I book 11:45 full well knowing I won't make the flight? Will they put me on the next available? Is this a dumb thing to attempt? There's three of us flying from Orlando to Chicago.

There are lots of variables, BUT the most likely to happen: Your ticket is CANCELLED. Even if you call BEFORE your scheduled plane takes off, it will generally cost you $100.00 change fee. You don't have any excuses that I can think of that the airline would consider to waive the change fee.

To salvage the $60-80 more per ticket for the later flight, take a MUCH later flight. The flights that leave from noon to 4PM are generally the most expensive flights, especially on "cruise days". Look at the possibility of taking a 6 to 9PM flight. May be cheaper. Sure you will get home later (and maybe loose a little sleep), but you will also be at least $180 dollars richer.

Depending on the airlines if it is the return leg of the trip, they would consider putting you on standby for the later flight, but it is a chance you take. If the later flight is full then you are stuck.

I saw there was 12:58 , 2:08 and 6:45 Airtran Orlando-Midway priced the cheapest for that sat 29

$208 AirTran MCO to MDW

MDW to MCO

ATL

nonstop

Sat, Apr 22

Sat, Apr 29

6:55a-10:08a

6:45p-10:10p

4h 13m

2h 25m

Coach

Coach

$214 AirTran MCO to MDW

MDW to MCO

ATL

ATL

Sat, Apr 22

Sat, Apr 29

12:58p-8:15p

4h 13m

6h 17m

Coach

Coach $214 AirTran MCO to MDW

MDW to MCO

ATL

ATL

Sat, Apr 22

Sat, Apr 29

2:08p-8:15p

4h 13m

5h 7m

Coach

Coac

What happens if I book 11:45 full well knowing I won't make the flight? Will they put me on the next available? Is this a dumb thing to attempt? There's three of us flying from Orlando to Chicago.
If you fail to cancel or change the flight before its departure show time, and miss it entirely, you will probably be out the money. Not a wise thing to do.

There are lots of variables, BUT the most likely to happen: Your ticket is CANCELLED. Even if you call BEFORE your scheduled plane takes off, it will generally cost you $100.00 change fee. You don't have any excuses that I can think of that the airline would consider to waive the change fee.

Your flight will not be cancelled. You only have no recourse if don't call prior to your flight departure. You can't be confirmed on another flight unless you pay a change fee of $100 PLUS whatever the difference is in fare (which can be quite high). (although some airlines have started charging a $25 standby fee) Your second option is to go standby which is also a risk since you may or may not get on a flight that day and can make for a long frustrating day.

(note Don't know what the policies are on Airtran, Southwest, Spirit since I don't fly them. It may be different policies for them)

Your flight will not be cancelled. You only have no recourse if don't call prior to your flight departure.

Which is EXACTLY the question the OP asked. OP did NOT ask about calling and cancelling or rescheduling, just MISSING the flight.

Which is EXACTLY the question the OP asked. OP did NOT ask about calling and cancelling or rescheduling, just MISSING the flight.

No that is not the question that was asked. I'm going on the assumption that if someone has sense and knows they are going to miss a flight they will call prior. Most times even if you miss the flight and get there prior to the flight taking off you will still be put on standby

Archived