Cruise with Confidence Confusion.

6 hours ago, Babr said:

That is my thinking. I don’t know why anyone would even worry about CWC if he plans to buy insurance. Get a good comprehensive travel policy at final payment and you’re covered.

I am worried about the last 47 hours on this booking.That’s where I will loose money if not insured is my thinking. CWC was is in place when I booked and covers me with a FCC 100%.as long as I cancel it before 48.hours. I am good with that

Edited by link99
Spelling fat fingers

38 minutes ago, link99 said:

I would say you are Correct. I can cancel this cruise on September 01 2022 48 hours  before and get a 100% future cruise credit to use within a year. I can cancel for any reason. The big Hole in this is,What happens at hour 47 through 0. CWC is. not an option then. Example Accident on way to cruise, Death in Family 24 hours before ect. That last 48 hours is not insured and I think I would loose  100%. If not insured.

The cruise lines are not heartless entities and situations that result in one's inability to cruise would be considered individually.  Circumstances such as you suggest would most likely result in a refund.

As you are still part of the CWC program, it sounds like all you are really trying to insure is the the time within the 48 hours - so two days worth of coverage.  That should be the focus with your conversation with the insurance company.  I would be interested in hearing the results of that.

18 minutes ago, link99 said:

I am worried about the last 47 hours on this booking.That’s where I will loose money if not insured is my thinking. CWC was is in place when I booked and covers me with a FCC 100%.as long as I cancel it before 48.hours. I am good with that

But that is the point. Buy insurance that covers the deposit and any other prepaid nonrefundable costs (cruise fare primarily) and you’ll be fully covered regardless of when you cancel as long as it is for a covered reason - including Covid. You can even get it to cover pre- existing conditions if you buy it when you pay final payment.

Why are you so intent in using CWC?

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The cruise lines are not heartless entities and situations that result in one's inability to cruise would be considered individually.  Circumstances such as you suggest would most likely result in a refund.

As you are still part of the CWC program, it sounds like all you are really trying to insure is the the time within the 48 hours - so two days worth of coverage.  That should be the focus with your conversation with the insurance company.  I would be interested in hearing the results of that.

Sorry - but if you cancel during the penalty phase, they will not feel sorry for you and give you your money back. It happens all the time. That is why travel insurance exists - to protect your vacation dollars against unforeseeable risks.

12 minutes ago, Babr said:

You can even get it to cover pre- existing conditions if you buy it when you pay final payment.

I thought 3rd party cancel for any reason insurance (which includes pre-existing conditions) had to be purchased within a certain period of time from the initial booking.  Standard insurance (NOT covering pre-existing conditions) has to be purchased by final payment.  Or does this vary by carriers?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

Sorry - but if you cancel during the penalty phase, they will not feel sorry for you and give you your money back. It happens all the time. That is why travel insurance exists - to protect your vacation dollars against unforeseeable risks.

In general you are correct.  I was referring to the OP's examples which included a death in the family.

And from personal experience, I had a situation a number of years ago that was health related and they issued a full refund to me and my wife after final payment.  I am also aware of a situation with a friend who had a death in the family and they also received a full refund. There are circumstances where it is considered.

Cancel for Any Reason and Pre-existing Conditions are two separate kinds of coverage. CFAR lets you cancel for any reason other than those defined in the policy. You can cancel just because you don’t want to go with CFAR. You do have to buy it in the time sensitive window relative to the initial deposit, but you usually get about 75% reimbursement.

Pre-existing conditions refers to anything in your medical history that could cause cancellation or require treatment during the trip. It, too, must be purchased within a time-sensitive period either at initial deposit or final payment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Didn't the purpose of CWC cover if you did not like the current protochols, like masking, reduced capacity, no shows.....etc?  But the cruise is normal now, and everyone knows when booking you need a test.....so shouldn't all cancellation rules now apply. 

For my family personally, when I booked the cruise we couldn't actually travel under the rules in place at time of booking.  We have 3 kids, ages 3, 7 and 11.  Both the 7 and 11 year old are fully vaccinated but the 3 year old is not.  It might be possible for my youngest to be able to be vaccinated in time for our August cruise, but there's actually no guarantee (the CDC still hasn't approved vaccines for kids her age).  At the time of booking, all unvaccinated individuals are required to travel on bubble tours.  We never use ship excursions, since our kids are fine on private excursions where we control the itinerary and can find child friendly activities and give them breaks when they need it.  But no one wants to be stuck on a large cruise tour bus with my kids, and my kids also would have a much less enjoyable time.  It was only the promise of the FCC which led me to book, because at any moment the cruiselines may go back to requiring bubble tours for unvaccinated passengers.  I actually wouldn't take the chance of booking a cruise without it until the CDC approves a vaccine for kids under 5.  So there may be people who have specific, weird requirements like my family for whom the FCC promise is the only reason they'd be willing to book.  And we're past final payment so I would have been forced to cancel without the FCC. 

Edited by kitkat343

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

Cancel for Any Reason and Pre-existing Conditions are two separate kinds of coverage. CFAR lets you cancel for any reason other than those defined in the policy. You can cancel just because you don’t want to go with CFAR. You do have to buy it in the time sensitive window relative to the initial deposit, but you usually get about 75% reimbursement.

Pre-existing conditions refers to anything in your medical history that could cause cancellation or require treatment during the trip. It, too, must be purchased within a time-sensitive period either at initial deposit or final payment.

Thanks for the clarity.  That is what I thought regarding the timeframe to purchase but obviously was not segregating the differences in coverage.

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Thanks for the clarity.  That is what I thought regarding the timeframe to purchase but obviously was not segregating the differences in coverage.

Not all companies allow the waiver at final payment, but it is available from IMG among others. That option is especially attractive for those who book with a refundable deposit because no money is at risk until final payment, at which time you buy the policy and are fully covered for medical and travel risks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Both the 7 and 11 year old are fully vaccinated but the 3 year old is not. 

At the time of booking, all unvaccinated individuals are required to travel on bubble tours. 

Your 3 year old is not required to be vaccinated.  (Children under 12 are not required, but ages 5-11 that are will follow the same protocols as those over 12).  However the 3 year old will have to have a negative antigen test provided by the cruise line at the pier prior to boarding.

The requirements for ship sponsored tours are based on the protocols at the ports of call in place typically 30 days prior to sailing.  It is a very fluid situation.  So what was in place at the time of your booking may not be the case at your actual sailing date.

You don't mention your itinerary but most US based closed loop itineraries have very few port of call restrictions on tours at present.

1 hour ago, link99 said:

Yes that is what I want to know. I reached out to the Trip Insurance Store and will be taking with them tomorrow to get a policy before final payment, which is also due tomorrow.

I’m not sure what you are trying to do. If you want to insure the entire cost, you can easily do that tomorrow.

If you are trying to insure just the deposit amount, you can do that, too, but know that is all you will get back if you have to cancel in that gap left by CWC prior to sailing.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Your 3 year old is not required to be vaccinated.  (Children under 12 are not required, but ages 5-11 that are will follow the same protocols as those over 12).  However the 3 year old will have to have a negative antigen test provided by the cruise line at the pier prior to boarding.

The requirements for ship sponsored tours are based on the protocols at the ports of call in place typically 30 days prior to sailing.  It is a very fluid situation.  So what was in place at the time of your booking may not be the case at your actual sailing date.

You don't mention your itinerary but most US based closed loop itineraries have very few port of call restrictions on tours at present.

Sorry- when I said we couldn't travel under the conditions that existed at the time of my booking, I meant to say that RC would allow our family to sail, but we couldn't actually go because we would never sail on a cruise ship without being able to book private tours for small children.  

I've only been on one ship tour with my children, because the Panama Canal Authority wouldn't let us off this ship near the canal unless we were on a ship tour.  My son melted down on a wildlife cruise, and it was a very stressful experience for our family and all the other passengers. All of the private tours we've taken our kids on have gone really well because I only pick child friendly activities and give the kids breaks and feed them when they are about to melt down (we do private excursions for just our family because worst case scenario we can pack the kids up and take them back to the ship immediately, and not ruin everyone else's vacation).  

The ban on private tours was in place at the time of my initial booking.  I had hoped the CDC would move more quickly with approving a vaccine, but fortunately the bubble tour requirement, which was the most significant obstacle to our sailing, was lifted prior to final payment.  But the bubble tour requirement could still be reinstated, so the FCC gives me peace of mind.  We'd be in a lot of trouble if the bubble tour requirement was put in place within 48 hours of sailing or while we were on the ship, but hopefully that won't happen.  Thankfully all of my ports of call are currently unaffected by the restrictions.  The restrictions on unvaccinated passengers currently aren't too significant, and I'd be fine with sailing if they don't change even if I can't get my youngest vaccinated in time.  

Edited by kitkat343

16 hours ago, Babr said:

I’m not sure what you are trying to do. If you want to insure the entire cost, you can easily do that tomorrow.

If you are trying to insure just the deposit amount, you can do that, too, but know that is all you will get back if you have to cancel in that gap left by CWC prior to sailing.

I purchased the Coverage for the entire amount minus the tax and port fees from the *rip *nsurance *tore. (not sure if you can list company name) I did not want to risk the loss. I also wanted good primary medical and evac Insurance.

In 2015 I had a close family member that went into the ICU 48 before a trip. it was a land based overseas one. I called to cancel they were sad to hear we were canceling but offered nothing more because all the funds were non refundable.

We had trip insurance but the ICU Dr had to fill out the medical form saying we could not go on the trip due to the family members dire condition. With out that letter we would have been out of Luck. 

4 minutes ago, link99 said:

I purchased the Coverage for the entire amount minus the tax and port fees from the *rip *nsurance *tore. (not sure if you can list company name) I did not want to risk the loss. I also wanted good primary medical and evac Insurance.

In 2015 I had a close family member that went into the ICU 48 before a trip. it was a land based overseas one. I called to cancel they were sad to hear we were canceling but offered nothing more because all the funds were non refundable.

We had trip insurance but the ICU Dr had to fill out the medical form saying we could not go on the trip due to the family members dire condition. With out that letter we would have been out of Luck. 

Thanks for the update. It wasn’t clear to me what your plan was, and I did not want to give you bad or misleading information. I am relieved to know that you are fully covered.

The suggestion someone made of buying insurance two days prior to sailing in order to cover the gap is alarming. In the first place, the policy is not in force immediately; and in the second place, it does not save money because the premium is based on age of the policy holder, amount insured, and length of trip. Buying at the last minute has too many pitfalls just to try to take advantage of CWC. I’m glad that was not something you were considering.

You are all set. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1