Best Family Ship

MX-Drew

After a successful first cruise with the family and grandchildren we are looking to arrange another. We have an idea of a few itineraries so what to know peoples opinion for the best ship for a 4 and 7 year old.

We are looking at Britannia or Arvia but at a push back to Azura.   

Iona and Arvia are not really resort style ships as they don't have the interesting activities such as crazy golf, climbing walls, fancy water slides, dodgems, indoor bowls etc etc. If your kids are happy with just splashing around in pools they should be OK 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Iona and Arvia are not really resort style ships as they don't have the interesting activities such as crazy golf, climbing walls, fancy water slides, dodgems, indoor bowls etc etc. If your kids are happy with just splashing around in pools they should be OK 🙂

Not really looking for the RCI resort style of ship. The problem we did find on Azura which fingers crossed was down to short staff due to Covid, was there was very little entertainment aimed at children and also lacked things like an afternoon tea for children that we saw when we were on Britannia Christmas & New Year 2019 / 2020. 

I'm hoping P&O did have not taken the view that in hot weather children are happy in the pool so no other children's entertainment is required.

Your input @molecrochipwould be appreciated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Yes I know this is a P&O forum but Disney is the obvious choice. However they are expensive and sailing from Dover this year I believe. Lovely looking ships though.

I asked specifically about the P&O ships I mentioned because of not only cost but the itineraries. Disney ships do look nice but the price is way out for my son and his wife. Perhaps I should have said they really want to go for 14 nights this time.

3 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Not really looking for the RCI resort style of ship. The problem we did find on Azura which fingers crossed was down to short staff due to Covid, was there was very little entertainment aimed at children and also lacked things like an afternoon tea for children that we saw when we were on Britannia Christmas & New Year 2019 / 2020. 

I'm hoping P&O did have not taken the view that in hot weather children are happy in the pool so no other children's entertainment is required.

Your input @molecrochipwould be appreciated.

Our kid is a bit older. We have been on Britannia a good many times and the kids seem to have a good time. Wandering around the ship in the Caribbean dressed as a pirate singing yo ho ho songs is good fun. DW said ' grow up, you'll frighten the children'.☠️

• Haha 8

Been on both Britannia and azura and we’re fine for my kids 7&6 on Britannia 2022 and 3&4 on azura in 2019. 

there were a few family discos and kids club and pool. 

I agree with other poster that disney looks amazing but it’s like £3.5k for 3days compared to £3k for 2weeks p&o. It’s not money i could justify for that many days yet. One day I will though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When are you planning to go? At present the Kids clubs are not operating normally - it seems to be one of the last things to be returning. Other posts have indicated that it will not be back by July and P&O have sent out emails to those on these cruises informing them of that. If you are planning on a last minute cruise be aware of that although and although there are still items for children they are reduced. If it is in the future then I am sure you can book and move to a later cruise (before payment date) if normal operations have not returned if that is what you are after. 

Edited by BouncingWheel
typo

24 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

When are you planning to go? At present the Kids clubs are not operating normally - it seems to be one of the last things to be returning. Other posts have indicated that it will not be back by July and P&O have sent out emails to those on these cruises informing them of that. If you are planning on a last minute cruise be aware of that although and although there are still items for children they are reduced. If it is in the future then I am sure you can book and move to a later cruise (before payment date) if normal operations have not returned if that is what you are after. 

The planned cruise is for 2024 and I suspected Covid was the reason.

Just for information we didn’t receive an with any information regarding lack of kids clubs etc for our cruise on Azura just gone.

11 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

The planned cruise is for 2024 and I suspected Covid was the reason.

Just for information we didn’t receive an with any information regarding lack of kids clubs etc for our cruise on Azura just gone.

My understanding is that it is only sent to those that have children and not to all passengers. Planned cruise of 2024 means current state of play should not really be a factor anyway. I'm sure that you will find lots of options for your family to choose from.

3 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

My understanding is that it is only sent to those that have children and not to all passengers. Planned cruise of 2024 means current state of play should not really be a factor anyway. I'm sure that you will find lots of options for your family to choose from.

Completely agree regarding state of play in 2024, but when it comes to the said email I'm afraid the usual poor P&O communications team were at fault as we had 2 young children in our party and we did not receive an email regarding the facilities that were or were not available. However we did receive multiple emails prompting us to book the Sindhu restaurant which was closed!!  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

Completely agree regarding state of play in 2024, but when it comes to the said email I'm afraid the usual poor P&O communications team were at fault as we had 2 young children in our party and we did not receive an email regarding the facilities that were or were not available. However we did receive multiple emails prompting us to book the Sindhu restaurant which was closed!!  

They do need to get their act together! I know the emails have been going out to some as they have been posted on here in other threads but I was on a Britannia cruise end of April and although I had no kids there were some disgruntled parents then that had not been made aware of the reduced children facilities. 

As for emails booking a restaurant that isn't open that is now just gonna lead to post replies that will top that one🤣 

I would also say that I am paying special interest to the activities for children as I am trying to book a cruise with my niece and her 3 year old for later this year. It will be their first cruise so am waiting for night nursery etc.. to return.

21 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

I would also say that I am paying special interest to the activities for children as I am trying to book a cruise with my niece and her 3 year old for later this year. It will be their first cruise so am waiting for night nursery etc.. to return.

I fear (no grounds for this) that the night nursery will be the last thing to return if ever it does and even then like many other things it may be chargeable.

Can I just add the Ventura to the mix. My 2 are a little older now and have done all the family friendly ships and this is their favourite. This is partly due to the really expensive arcade which includes a kind of ride on simulator which moves up and down. My 8 year old at the time  would have stayed in there the entire time if allowed.

I messaged P&O last week asking when I register for the kids club whether my 2 will be able to attend at the same time as they will both be in the same group. I had an automated message back advising they are restricting numbers but they didn’t answer my question. I don’t suppose anyone knows? My daughter won’t go in without her brother 😑

7 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Can I just add the Ventura to the mix. My 2 are a little older now and have done all the family friendly ships and this is their favourite. This is partly due to the really expensive arcade which includes a kind of ride on simulator which moves up and down. My 8 year old at the time  would have stayed in there the entire time if allowed.

I messaged P&O last week asking when I register for the kids club whether my 2 will be able to attend at the same time as they will both be in the same group. I had an automated message back advising they are restricting numbers but they didn’t answer my question. I don’t suppose anyone knows? My daughter won’t go in without her brother 😑

Ventura is my preference for the niece's 1st group based on lots of feedback. It is not a ship I have been on but has good reviews for families.

As mentioned I was on Britannia in April and the kids club were grouped by age into "Cohorts". This separated some families and the disgruntled parents I came across were the ones that had their kids in sessions at different times meaning they always had at least 1 child with them so no down time to themselves. They understood the kids would be in different groups due to their ages but couldn't understand why they couldn't have sessions at the same time even if in different groups. It seem to be a first come first serve situation. 

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

I fear (no grounds for this) that the night nursery will be the last thing to return if ever it does and even then like many other things it may be chargeable.

I see where you are coming from but do hope that you are wrong. Only time will tell. I just hope that sometime over the summer we find out one way or the other for this and the other few remaining "COVID changes" that are still in place.

53 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

I see where you are coming from but do hope that you are wrong. Only time will tell. I just hope that sometime over the summer we find out one way or the other for this and the other few remaining "COVID changes" that are still in place.

I hope I'm wrong too but things like no turndown service and very limited room service breakfast lead me to think this way.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:13 AM, davecttr said:

As far as P&O goes, Arvia has the most.

It has an escape room, ropes course, crazy golf, enhanced waterzone https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/arvia/entertainment#altitude

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, molecrochip said:

As far as P&O goes, Arvia has the most.

It has an escape room, ropes course, crazy golf, enhanced waterzone https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/arvia/entertainment#altitude

It's about time as well, if P&O want to attract young families then a kids water park is essential. We went on RCIs Independence with our son and family and his 2 boys loved their water zone, I just hope Carnival are willing to spend big on the current fleet to retrofit something similar to all the family ships.

• Like 1

I think P and O are caught between two stools, they are wanting the younger element and that's where the two new ships come in ,but a good deal of their income comes from the "traditional" cruiser's and until such time as they cease to cruise they are trying to keep income streams from them before moving into the younger generation/family mode that the likes of RCI have  

On 6/8/2022 at 1:23 PM, MX-Drew said:

Many because of the itinerary and molecrochip's comments I have now booked two cabins on Arvia (or should I say Our Vera?) August 2024, fingers crossed things improve.

I think that’s very sensible. When it comes to P&O ships and children there’s a very simple logic. The newer the ship the better.