Updated ArriveCAN to sail out of Vancouver

They have added this on the CA government website: 

"

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada

in Canada

This is in contradiction to what I was told about 2 weeks ago when I called to clarify this. So- we will complete the ArriveCAN prior to boarding our plane, and then do a second cruise specific one when we arrive in Vancouver, including the results of the CoVid test. Most of the information will have been saved so it should not take more than a couple of minutes to complete. I was one of those who argued against needing a second one after arriving in Vancouver because that is what I had specifically been told so I wanted to alert people. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coupe said:

Maybe I am not good at reading. I don't see anything in this post that says you need two Arrivcans.

It definitely says that you must do an Arrivcan entry before getting on a cruise ship....applies to those who have already done an arrivcan to fly into the country. That equals two arrivcans!  

• Thanks 1

Seems to me it says that you must do Arrive Can to board the ship even if you have already used Arrivecan to fly into the country. So if you add the Arrivecan you used to fly into the country and add it to the one you must do to get on the ship that equals TWO. Note the words below after the comma which says "including...those who just used to ArriveCANto enter Canada."

If you do not believe me call 833-283-7403 and speak (with no wait) with very nice and polite ArriveCan staff member.  I just called and they confirmed that I will have to do ArriveCan both  before flying into Canada AND again before my cruise.

Here is the language: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

Edited by edgee

I contacted Princess and this is their reply.

Regarding your inquiry, the QR code that is generated from ArriveCan is different from tge QR code that you will be using to check-in at the port. The QR code for the port check-in, will be generated from the MedallionClass App once you have completed your Travel Checklist. It will be displayed at the main screen of the app.

7:01:14 PM

Do I have to show the Arrivcan when I get to the ship?

Brigette 7:01:57 PM

No need to show the ArriveCan once you arrive to the ship.

11 hours ago, julia said:

@Coupe  Respectfully, I would not trust a cruise line customer service rep over the above written statement. 

Show me the written statement. I have seen nothing in writing. The things people have posted does not say what they say it does.

7 hours ago, Coupe said:

Show me the written statement. I have seen nothing in writing. The things people have posted does not say what they say it does.

This is from the ArriveCan website (updated 5/26/2022):

"Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise,i ncluding Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada"

The embarkation test cannot be entered into the ArriveCAN you use to enter Canada. It MUST be entered into the ArriveCAN used to cruise. Hope that helps. 

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

This is from the ArriveCan website (updated 5/26/2022):

"Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise,i ncluding Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada"

The embarkation test cannot be entered into the ArriveCAN you use to enter Canada. It MUST be entered into the ArriveCAN used to cruise. Hope that helps. 

It does not say that. It doesn't say you have to show ArrivCan when boarding the ship. It say you have to load the info 72 hours before boarding the cruise. The key word is "submit". I hope that helps. 

26 minutes ago, Coupe said:

It does not say that. It doesn't say you have to show ArrivCan when boarding the ship. It say you have to load the info 72 hours before boarding the cruise. The key word is "submit". I hope that helps. 

Fine. However you wish to read it- I know what I will do. Have you read the posts about what happened in Victoria when the ship had not checked the ArriveCAN prior to boarding passengers? Have you read the posts about chaos at the port when many passengers had not completed the form? We will board in Vancouver easily with all forms completed. 

15 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Fine. However you wish to read it- I know what I will do. Have you read the posts about what happened in Victoria when the ship had not checked the ArriveCAN prior to boarding passengers? Have you read the posts about chaos at the port when many passengers had not completed the form? We will board in Vancouver easily with all forms completed. 

As long as you do it within 72 hours before boarding you will not have a problem. ArrivCan is for those entering Canada - not leaving.

Just now, Coupe said:

As long as you do it within 72 hours before boarding you will not have a problem. ArrivCan is for those entering Canada - not leaving.

The people were entering Canada when they went to Victoria. - Big difference.

Yes, you need a new QR code from ArriveCAN for embarking a cruise that will visit or return to a Canadian port.  This is separate to the QR code you receive from ArriveCAN when arriving by air.  You can only have one "active" QR code at a time (unless they have recently changed it), so you have to apply for the new QR code after you land in Canada and, ideally, prior to going to the port to embark. 

However, ArriveCAN does not require a COVID test result at any point.  The initial set up of the ArriveCAN account needs vaccination proof.  Then when applying for a QR code it basically just needs times and dates information.  For a cruise, an ArriveCAN application should be filled in in the 72 hours prior to embarking on the ship that will visit or return to a Canadian port in the next 30 days after embarkation.  The COVID test result is a requirement of the cruiselines, and as I understand it is currently a requirement for them to be able to operate in Canadian territory.  

If using the phone app for ArriveCAN, ensure you have the latest update installed, they have been doing frequent updates to it.  

2 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

Yes, you need a new QR code from ArriveCAN for embarking a cruise that will visit or return to a Canadian port.  This is separate to the QR code you receive from ArriveCAN when arriving by air.  You can only have one "active" QR code at a time (unless they have recently changed it), so you have to apply for the new QR code after you land in Canada and, ideally, prior to going to the port to embark. 

However, ArriveCAN does not require a COVID test result at any point.  The initial set up of the ArriveCAN account needs vaccination proof.  Then when applying for a QR code it basically just needs times and dates information.  For a cruise, an ArriveCAN application should be filled in in the 72 hours prior to embarking on the ship that will visit or return to a Canadian port in the next 30 days after embarkation.  The COVID test result is a requirement of the cruiselines, and as I understand it is currently a requirement for them to be able to operate in Canadian territory.  

If using the phone app for ArriveCAN, ensure you have the latest update installed, they have been doing frequent updates to it.  

Thank you for this accurate clarification.

2 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

The COVID test result is a requirement of the cruiselines, and as I understand it is currently a requirement for them to be able to operate in Canadian territory. 

If the Covid test result is "a requirement of the cruiselines," how is that compatible with it being "a requirement for them to be able to operate in Canadian territory?"  Whom is it required by?  The Public Health Agency of Canada?  If so, then it isn't a requirement of the cruiselines if it is necessitated by a government agency. 

6 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

If the Covid test result is "a requirement of the cruiselines," how is that compatible with it being "a requirement for them to be able to operate in Canadian territory?"  Whom is it required by?  The Public Health Agency of Canada?  If so, then it isn't a requirement of the cruiselines if it is necessitated by a government agency. 

Wow ... chill ... I was pointing out that a COVID test is not a requirement of ArriveCAN .... Someone above said it was required by that app/website.  There is a lot of misinformation, and frankly, scare postings, about ArriveCAN and setting up the account and what info is required for each entry.  I have used it 3 times in the past 2 months, once for a land crossing and twice for marine, and it's pretty simple to use.

For the record, this is from the travel.gc.ca website which is published by the Government of Canada:

"All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise."

Source: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Q.  My sailing embarks in Vancouver (therefore not "visiting or returning") and ends in the US.  Do I need one ArriveCan QR code (to fly into YVR and board the ship) or two?  I'm confused...

16 hours ago, julia said:

Q.  My sailing embarks in Vancouver (therefore not "visiting or returning") and ends in the US.  Do I need one ArriveCan QR code (to fly into YVR and board the ship) or two?  I'm confused...

You will definitely need a QR to arrive by air into YVR.  However if your ship is only sailing from a Canadian port (Canada Place) and not visiting any other Canadian port before ending in the US, my interpretation would be that you do NOT need another one to embark at Canada Place.  Strictly speaking you "cross the border" from Canada into the US as you embark on the ship, which is why you go through US Customs at the port.  There are no Canadian requirements of ArriveCAN when leaving Canada, which seems to be what you are doing.  

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise seems to be pretty clear:

"In ArriveCAN you must identify:

how you are entering Canada (for example, by air, land or sea) and

where you are entering Canada (port of entry)"

However, this doesn't mean that the cruiseline checkin might not ask for it.  I presume your cruise is at the end of the season (and the rules might change again before that time!)  and if your checkin staff is automatically doing what they have been doing all season, they might not realize the difference in the ship's routing.  😁  In your shoes, I wouldn't do a separate entry for embarkation, but you will have your account already set up, just in case anything changes.  

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, end of season (Oct 2), but, we do have a Canadian stop in Victoria.  I will be prepared upon entry at YVR, and may do the pier embarkation QR just for drill.

We are in a Canada New England cruise departing NYC with 2 CDN ports of call.  

I will complete the ArrivCAN app before I depart NYC and have been fully vaccinated and will have an antigen test as required.

Question:  what takes place when we depart at the CDN port for our shore excursion?  Will Princess have our ArrivCAN info to provide with its manifest or will each person be required to show their QR code from ArriveCAN as they depart the ship?

12 hours ago, goldenprincess53 said:

Question:  what takes place when we depart at the CDN port for our shore excursion?  Will Princess have our ArrivCAN info to provide with its manifest or will each person be required to show their QR code from ArriveCAN as they depart the ship?

ArrivCan get tied to your passport so when it is scanned or the number punched in border officials can see it, generally they don't need the QR code as it pops up on their screen.  so leaving the ship usually passengers are precleared (which is why you have to provide it for boarding) so you should not have to do anything 

15 hours ago, julia said:

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, end of season (Oct 2), but, we do have a Canadian stop in Victoria.  I will be prepared upon entry at YVR, and may do the pier embarkation QR just for drill.

Hmm, if you have a Canadian stop in Victoria then that complicates things a little.  A quick look at the schedule seems to indicate you're on the HAL southbound west coast route.  As Victoria is the first stop after embarkation, I'm not entirely sure whether they treat it as you're in Canada until you sail away from the Victoria stop, OR if you still go through US customs on embarkation (so effectively leave Canada, enter US (to get on the ship) and then re-enter Canada for Victoria, and then re-enter US on sailing from Victoria).  I think in your shoes, I would do an online application (using the Marine option and using Vancouver Cruise Operations as your embarkation point and Ogden Point (Victoria) as your re-entry point - unless the cruiseline specifically indicates otherwise.  There are no repercussions of having an "extra" QR code in the system - that I have heard of - and it costs nothing!  Also by October who knows if it will still be in place - just keep checking the cruiseline site, CruiseCritic and Canadian news sources.  

On 6/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, westcoasttech said:

Hmm, if you have a Canadian stop in Victoria then that complicates things a little.  A quick look at the schedule seems to indicate you're on the HAL southbound west coast route.  As Victoria is the first stop after embarkation, I'm not entirely sure whether they treat it as you're in Canada until you sail away from the Victoria stop, OR if you still go through US customs on embarkation (so effectively leave Canada, enter US (to get on the ship) and then re-enter Canada for Victoria, and then re-enter US on sailing from Victoria).  I think in your shoes, I would do an online application (using the Marine option and using Vancouver Cruise Operations as your embarkation point and Ogden Point (Victoria) as your re-entry point - unless the cruiseline specifically indicates otherwise.  There are no repercussions of having an "extra" QR code in the system - that I have heard of - and it costs nothing!  Also by October who knows if it will still be in place - just keep checking the cruiseline site, CruiseCritic and Canadian news sources.  

Whew...  I think I follow your logic.  I'm "fairly certain" we will go thru US Customs upon embarkation in Vancouver.  Yes,  HAL Noordam, West Coast to San Diego.  Thx for your input!

2 hours ago, julia said:

Whew...  I think I follow your logic.  I'm "fairly certain" we will go thru US Customs upon embarkation in Vancouver.  Yes,  HAL Noordam, West Coast to San Diego.  Thx for your input!

If Victoria is your stop immediately after Vancouver, you will definitely NOT go through US preclearance here - it's illegal unless your vehicle departs Canada within hours based on the legislation our governments signed back in the day, doesn't matter if it is plane, train, or ship.

We've done a few of these short repos, and every single one that goes Van>Vic>USA you will do US customs on arrival in the first US port - which means expect some potentially long delays disembarking in that first US port unless it is Seattle or all the way down in LA. Astoria & SF, the only other likely coastal first stops, have very small Marine CBP contingents and not a lot of pier space so don't really staff up enough to churn through a shipload of pax quickly.

Do not book any early shore excursions unless they are through the ship!

Edited by martincath