Onboard Covid test required before ship can pass through Panama Canal?

laudergayle

We are considering the 15-day NCL Joy Feb 24-March 11 LA to Miami.  I read on another board that passengers must do onboard Covid test before Panamanian officials will allow the ship to do a full transit through the locks.  I’m concerned since our last cruise many of us tested positive on day 7–thankfully we were back at a US port.  Insight welcomed.  Thanks. 

You might have read the following thread that I posted in the Panama Canal forum, or one of the HAL threads that I mentioned in it.  But it's from this past January, a long time ago; I haven't seen a mention of this since (but of course that doesn't mean I haven't missed something). At any rate, you're talking about Feb. 2023, a long time from now, so who knows what the rules will be then.

The most current rules I can find regarding entry to Panama (dated April 6) are posted at the following link (no specific mention of Canal transits), and do not require testing for travelers who "can provide physical or digital proof of at least 2 (two) doses or complete vaccination scheme endorsed by the WHO, EMA and FDA, equal to or greater than 14 days after the last dose"

https://www.tourismpanama.com/plan-your-vacation/advisories/#:~:text=Travelers will not have to,days after the last dose.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

You might have read the following thread that I posted in the Panama Canal forum, or one of the HAL threads that I mentioned in it.  But it's from this past January, a long time ago; I haven't seen a mention of this since (but of course that doesn't mean I haven't missed something). At any rate, you're talking about Feb. 2023, a long time from now, so who knows what the rules will be then.

The most current rules I can find regarding entry to Panama (dated April 6) are posted at the following link (no specific mention of Canal transits), and do not require testing for travelers who "can provide physical or digital proof of at least 2 (two) doses or complete vaccination scheme endorsed by the WHO, EMA and FDA, equal to or greater than 14 days after the last dose"

https://www.tourismpanama.com/plan-your-vacation/advisories/#:~:text=Travelers will not have to,days after the last dose.

Thanks...yes I do believe it was your post where saw the Covid test for Panama transit.  Feb 23 is a long way off…and you’re absolutely correct that everything is do fluid.  I’m over-reacting right now.  We just had a bad experience last month on a 7day cruise where we lost 2.5 days (and the best posts) to some GI issue (norovirus perhaps) and then left the ship testing Covid + the following day.  I told my husband we should take longer cruises now so if that ever happens we won’t feel as cheated…lol. 

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I read on another board that passengers must do onboard Covid test before Panamanian officials will allow the ship to do a full transit through the locks. 

We've been through the canal three times this year. Bliss in January and February, Encore in April.

No onboard tests were required on any of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_H said:

We've been through the canal three times this year. Bliss in January and February, Encore in April.

No onboard tests were required on any of them.

Yay! That’s good news…at least good enough to make me comfortable enough to make the booking. Thanks.