Virgin Voyages--a good fit for late 20 something singles?

KKB

DS27 expressed an interest in "singles" cruising w/ his BFF, also 27.

He has cruised DCL, NCL, RCCL, Princes & Celebrity with family or college friends. He loves cruising.

He & his buddy would love to cruise a "singles" cruise. Not looking to hook up, just a cruise not with an older demographic or kids.

I suggested Virgin.

Good fit?

Virgin is great for active people--all exercise classes are included and there are several places with equipment you can use on your own.  Food is amazing.  Age groups vary....average age is probably 45-50. Adults only.   It is a younger group than we encountered on Celebrity or Princess.  There are some 70-80 year olds, but not a lot that we saw.  We encountered more "old" people on Disney (grandparents, mostly) than on Virgin.  The entertainment is very different than on other lines--watch YouTube videos to understand that.  There are no singles group meets that I'm aware of, but it isn't hard to meet people.  Many things on the ship have sexual innuendo, but it isn't over the top.  Very vegan friendly, but great steaks, seafood, etc. as well.  Again, worth trying (I'd never had good, creative vegan food).  Is it a good fit?  That's hard with not knowing your DS or friend.  Shorter cruises 4,5,6 days, tend to be younger than longer cruises.  

• Like 1

This boat actually look amazing for a commercial cruise line. I'm totally on board with the 18 and older rule. Has anyone noticed if the crew is younger too? If I was on this boat I'd want the crew to be closer to me in age so the party would never stop. I feel like a crew closer to me in age would just get me more, you know?

31 minutes ago, Maisee Jane said:

This boat actually look amazing for a commercial cruise line. I'm totally on board with the 18 and older rule. Has anyone noticed if the crew is younger too? If I was on this boat I'd want the crew to be closer to me in age so the party would never stop. I feel like a crew closer to me in age would just get me more, you know?

yes! crew is younger and permitted to hang out with guests when not working. i'm friends with some of the crew from our sailing on instagram now and we did shots on the final night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maisee Jane said:

If I was on this boat I'd want the crew to be closer to me in age so the party would never stop. I feel like a crew closer to me in age would just get me more, you know?

Yep, the crew is pretty young overall.  The "Happenings Cast" is especially outgoing and fun to hang out with - in lieu of a cruise director, it's their job to get the party started everywhere.  You can invite them to dinner if you become friendly with any of them (they can, of course say no!), but it's pretty cool to see that they're allowed to be normal people onboard!

16 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

Yep, the crew is pretty young overall.  The "Happenings Cast" is especially outgoing and fun to hang out with - in lieu of a cruise director, it's their job to get the party started everywhere.  You can invite them to dinner if you become friendly with any of them (they can, of course say no!), but it's pretty cool to see that they're allowed to be normal people onboard!

This is probably the biggest difference.  Yes, they are allowed to hang out with guests.  They can have dinner with you if you invite them (on their off duty time, of course) and there is no charge for them to eat with a guest.  If they join you for drinks at a guest bar, they pay the same price as a guest; if they drink at the crew bar, it is MUCH cheaper.  If you make friends with "Happening Staff," they often invite you to "secret parties."  You'll get invitations like "Meet me at X place tonight."  That will be a small, fun event...not creepy or anything.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Loose rule of thumb:  Any cruise with a duration of 7 nights or longer will have an older demographic.  3 and 4 night cruises will have more of a “party” atmosphere, or as many put it, “booze cruises”. 

I've been on two sails on VV now, and maybe 10 on RCCL. I think VV skews a little younger than RCCL but not too much different. I think VV advertises like it's this millennial influencer dream, but it's basically the same people.