Wheel Chair Use

Was looking to do a B2B for 30 nights in September 2023,

The Dames t/a have just informed me that we can not use a fold up push wheelchair on board.

Seems a bit strange as they have adapted inside cabins!.

We were looking for a standard balcony cabin.

But not any more!

Yes, when we booked they were very definite that I could only use my very small scooter on board if I had an adapted cabin.  This appeared to be strictly enforced.  I am partially disabled and could walk about a bit in the mornings, and around the cabin, but needed my scooter in the evenings. 

Luckily they had an adapted cabin and it was great. We understood it to be a Health and Safety Rule due to it being quite a small ship.  Only a certain number of aids allowed.

A wheelchair or scooter can be taken for shore use only in non adapted cabins.. I don't know how they enforce it though.

no.. its health and safety rules in case of emergency.  I'm not sure, but don't think it is an Ambassador Rule.

I didn't feel I was discriminated against at all.    There were quite a lot of accessible cabins as far as I could see. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Other cruise lines have this rule. If you need it on board you have to book an adapted cabin. However you can tell them you are bringing on a wheelchair for off shore only. It is taken away with your luggage ( which porters do) and held in the hold by the ships crew. It should then be put out on shore days. You should inform your cruise company of your intentions.