12:15 pm from Port Canaverl.. time to make it ?

twinmom38

:o Hi everyone... I am getting ready to make my plane reservations for January 2007.. cruising on the Mariner. I have the choice between a 12:15 pm flight and a 2:45 pm flight out of Orlando. I want to get the 12:15 pm, as we will still have a 3 hour drive after landing in Raleigh. Is there time to make it to the airport, with customs and all that we need to do ? The ship docks at 7 AM and I plan to have a shuttle service waiting.

Thank you !!

It can be done... as long as you do not run into problems getting back to Port Canaveral. We were on the Mariner in January... we had a 1:30 flight out of Orlando. We disembarked the ship around 8:30 ( not one of the first groups... actually more in the middle) We arrived at the airport around 9:30 and had plenty of time to sit around and wait for our flight.

However, when given the choice, I would leave a little bit later. In fact, our original flight time was 3:30 out of Orlando... American Airlines changed the flight a few months after we purchased the tickets.

We had something called the "Parking Lot Nightmare" happen to us on the Mariner in October. There were about 37 of us on a CC group cruise who were left in a hot parking lot to linger and basically melt because the ship was hours late getting into port. It was not horrific and I made friends (it could have been tho) but we did not board the ship till after three. There had been a medical emergancy and it was too windy to land a helicopter so they ported in Miami to get the man off (my understanding is he did not make it).

When I went to the beach at 9am she was straight out in front of the pier at Cocoa Beach. Others who post here can attest to this and it made it a living nightmare for anyone who needed to get to the airport pior to noon. I made up my mind then and there to never take a flight earlier than two on return day.

[quote name=twinmom38I am getting ready to make my plane reservations for cruising on the Mariner. I have the choice between a 12:15 pm flight and a 2:45 pm flight out of Orlando. I want to get the 12:15 pm, as we will still have a 3 hour drive after landing in Raleigh. Is there time to make it to the airport, with customs and all that we need to do ? The ship docks at 7 AM and I plan to have a shuttle service waiting.

QUOTE]

Yikes...now I am really worried, I thought any time after 1pm was usually pretty safe..I was about to book a 12:30pm flight out as the next flight wasn't until 6:30pm? any thoughts?

First time........we were in the terminal and ready to leave before 10 A.M. Our flight was scheduled for 2:15. Bad weather at home.........we didn't leave Florida until after 5:30.

Second time.........12:45 flight.............barely made it.

It's a crap shoot.

I would take the later flight.

We just came from the Mariner on 2/12/06 and we ended up in the parking lot afterwards, waiting for a shuttle to the rental car, then waiting again for the car. Long, very cold waits standing with our luggage.

I understand you're taking the shuttle...and right now that seems like the best way to get back to Orlando. But things happen. The drive is long and the airport can be a mess. I think there are just too many variables.

The cruise itself was so wonderful. You'll love it.

If you do self-disembark, where you carry off all of your own bags, or are Diamond and get priority disembarkation (first off), you can do it. It will be iffy otherwise - the security line at Orlando can be HIDEOUS.

Do suite passengers (GS/OS/RS) get priority disembarkation too?

Can you tell me how Immigration is handled for International passengers (we are British) at PORT CANAVERAL. On some cruises, we have immigrated on the ship itself, on others we have had dedicated international immigration lines at the port, on others there has been an immigration free-for-all (and we have been mixed up with all the US passengers too).

Boo

(also about to book a cruise and fligths)

We just got back yesterday... we were in the 3rd from last color group, and we were off the ship by 10:20. We used the RCL shuttle, and were at the airport by 11:25... checkin was a bit of a nightmare, security was actually pretty good (it can be HORRIBLE at Orlando)... We had friends that had a 12:45 flight and were worried, but they made it with about 20 minutes to spare. I wouldn't book a flight before 12:45, you would be pushing it... it seemed to take FOREVER to disembark the ship. It will take you about 45-55 minutes to get to Orlando from PC. The spring break season officially kicked off this weekend, and I think everyone in the country was going to Disney, LOL... Good luck whatever you do!!!

The security time at Orlando can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 2+ hours. I was in the airport recently to send my youngest daughter to visit her sister in NC. It took 2 hours and 15 minutes to get through security and to the gate.

I guess that's the disadvantage of leaving on a SUnday after hte cruise. My in-laws live in Orlando and even when we visit without also cruising, we leave Orlando mid-week and have nno problem with security at all.
We flew out of MCO on a Tuesday, and I would NOT describe is as "no problem." It was about an hour from getting into the giant amorphous mass of a waiting line until we were walking towards the people mover to the terminal.

Yikes, now I am more confused then ever..hate to sit around the airport until 6:30pm but hate to miss my flight more...

You have a few options here. RCI has a tour of the Space Center that you can buy as a tour with transfers to the airport. It's not cheap but it's also a way to pass the time. I would get the earlier flight. The chances are pretty good that you will make it. Get travel insurance and be sure and hand carry off the ship. I am very cautious but I think you would be OK.

We got off the Mariner 2/19. About the 5th color I believe. Were off the ship by 9 but it took over half an hour for all our luggage to show up. Got to the airport around 10:30 using the RCCL shuttle bus. I'd say we waited close to an hour at the Northwest Check-in desks.:mad: Security actually wasn't too bad, abut 20 minutes.

We sat on the RCCL bus at the airport for about 15-20 minutes before they let us off, while they lounged around and took their time getting the luggage out.:rolleyes:

Impression from our first cruise: you wait to get off the ship, wait for your luggage, wait for shuttles, etc, wait at airport check-in, wait at security. Any and/or all of these could be longer than you think :)

Archived