Help! 73 year old mother- which cruise?

debbiecape

My 73 year old, diabetic, uses walker, won't fly, mother has finally said she wants to go on a cruise with me! We just got back from a two week blissful cruise on the Jewel; had a great time on the Dawn for 10 days a year ago; enjoyed Celebrity Constellation and Celebrity Mercury; did the Golden Princess Transatlantic last year (loved the itinerary, the ship was all right). Which cruise, line, port would you suggest? She would go out of Boston to Bermuda but the choices are limited to the Majesty which I think might be too small (for smooth sailing and the 'wow' factor); she isn't that interested in Canada/New England. Maybe she would take the train to New York/NJ which would open other possiblities. Am I wrong about the Majesty? What else should I look at (NCL or others)

Thanks ahead of time!

Boston to Bermuda on the Majesty would probablly be a good choice. Ship is small enoung to get around and the stafff is wonderful. I would avoid going when the kids are out of school. We are going on May 28. We also were just on the Jewel. We were on the week of Feb 12.

Of course the Majesty is one choice, but it is small and sometimes, depending on when you plan to sail the water can be a bit rough. If you can get her to NYC you are right, it will open up a totally different market. I would suggest the Dawn or the Spirit. Of course there are other lines as you know now leaving out of the NY/NJ area. Would she prefer the relaxed atmosphere of NCL or a more traditional sailing on another line. I would think NCL would be perfect for someone her age who has never cruised before. NMnita

We took our 91 year old Aunt on the Dawn last April and she had a blast. She is in a wheelchair which was more secure than the walker can be. It was her first cruise and she would go again in a minute. We sailed out of NY to Florida.

Ask her what she thinks first. NYC would be great just sailing from NYC is a "Wow" factor IMO.

First timer I'm sure the smaller ship wouldn't seem so smal as it is to us that have sailed. The rough seas is a factor to think about.

I would ask her if she would like free style or traditional dining, then go from there on what she tells you she would like the most.

IMO for a first timer any ship is great.

The 7 day bermuda and 8-10 day eastern/southern carribean sure look nice out of New York. NCL/princess/HAL/Carnival all have some interesting itineraries, each has good aspects. Hard to beat the majesty convenience of leaving from where you live though. The Dawn, crown princess, HAL Noordam, Carnival victory are all newer ships, might help with WOW factor.

If her walking endurance with the walker isn't great you could

1) see if she is willing to use a wheelchair for the cruise. We have a relative who normally uses a walker, but uses a wheelchair on the cruise because distances are just too much. You can leave them folded up against the outside of your cabin.

2) If wheelchair is out take a second look at the smaller ships instead of big ones and get a room closer to elevator

3) If getting up a step to bathroom and over tall lip into tub/shower is an issue you should really get a handicap room. Our relative with walker sometimes goes in non-handicap rooms but the step into the tub/shower is not safe without very attentive help. Maybe they have non handicap rooms with a shower you don't have to step up and over a tub to get into.

Try Boston first, then move to New York City cruise ships.

There's more ships than just the Norwegian Majesty sailing out of Boston.

Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas has two cruises (10 and 11 days) to Bermuda, one (10 days) of which is already sold out, and six cruises (four 7 days, one 5 days, and one 4 days) to Canada/New England, and two cruises (one 10 days and one 12 days) to the Caribbean.

The Jewel of the Seas was built in 2004 and is just as large as the Dawn at 90,090 tons grt.

Holland America's Maasdam has eight (7 days) cruises to Canada/New England and two reposition cruises to Northen Europe (17 days or 35 days for the eastbound cruise, 8 days for the westbound cruise), but they would involve flying trans-Atlantic in one direction, so probably will not fit into your plans.

The Maasdam was built in 1993, a year younger than the Norwegian Majesty. It is 15,000 tons larger than the Majesty at 55,451 tons grt, and should have a smoother ride. The Maasdam also has 149 suites with balconies; the Majesty has zero balconies, and just 22 suites.

So your choices aren't limited to just the Norwegian Majesty sailing from Boston, although it is a great choice..........

As for cruise line policies, Holland America has the same tipping policy as NCL, but both lines have "traditional" dinning. The main advantage that the Majesty has is "Freestyle" everything.........

So, you have a choice of three major cruise lines and three ships this year, two older ships and one basically brand new. You also have a choice of cruise length, from 4 days to 35 days. You don't have to travel to New York City if you rather not....

I would honestly look into the Jewel of the Seas. They are doing a 5 night Bermuda in October out of Boston. My mom is handicapped, uses a walker, a scooter most of the time. The majesty is an older ship and not so handicapped friendly. It had alot of raised thresholds that were made handicapped friendly after the fact (meaning they really are not). Whereas a newer vessel will be much more friendly for her to get around. We did the Jewel 10 night last September, absolutely fabulous ship.

My 73 year old, diabetic, uses walker, won't fly, mother has finally said she wants to go on a cruise with me! We just got back from a two week blissful cruise on the Jewel; had a great time on the Dawn for 10 days a year ago; enjoyed Celebrity Constellation and Celebrity Mercury; did the Golden Princess Transatlantic last year (loved the itinerary, the ship was all right). Which cruise, line, port would you suggest? She would go out of Boston to Bermuda but the choices are limited to the Majesty which I think might be too small (for smooth sailing and the 'wow' factor); she isn't that interested in Canada/New England. Maybe she would take the train to New York/NJ which would open other possiblities. Am I wrong about the Majesty? What else should I look at (NCL or others)

Thanks ahead of time!

Hi Deb, I have read all the responses and agree ... avoid times when kids might be out of school, North Atlantic waters in the winter can be very rough, the newer ships are more handicapped friendly, ask her her dining preferences and what would she like in terms of ports or is she just interested in staying on the ship and perhaps meeting others her age? I would certainly stay away from Carnival as they are rather notorious for rowdy kids and adults. Good luck :)

My take on your situation is as follows- consider the bus to NYC, then take the Dawn on one of its cruises. The Dawn is very handicapped friendly, with many (20?) handicapped cabins. You can get a balcony handicapped room near an elevator and your mother will love it.

I really recommend you take a wheelchair instead of the walker. There is too much ground to cover with a walker. Rent a wheeelchair if need be. You wont regret it. I've been on the Dawn 4 times in a wheelchair and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Entertainment Tours in Braintree runs the bus service from Boston to the Dawn.

Bill G.

As was mentioned above walker endurance is definitely a huge factor impacting what ship you try. I love Jewel of the Seas, but if you have a cabin far from elevators, the walk to any activity can be an ordeal for someone impaired. Even a somewhat smaller ship such as Enchantment can be challenging. I sailed on her with a big toe fracture and it was tiring.

Walkers are also a liability of sorts on tender boats and many shore excursions. However, some folks with walkers are really surprisingly agile and speedy. My dad certainly was until near the end.

I really like Majesty of the Seas and feel it was less physically demanding than bigger ships such as Mariner of the Seas. But one poster above does have a valid point. Majesty is an older ship and may have challenges all of its own for those with walkers.

The main consideration is just how much endurance and agilty your mother has. If she is seriously impaired, you might consider renting a wheel chair just for this cruise. If she uses a walker mainly for balance and steadiness, she may do quite well on any ship you choose.

I think it is wonderful she wants to go with you and that you are willing to take her. You are an experienced cruiser, so you know what to expect and what the hurdles will be. Whatever ship you choose, I hope you all have a fabulous and WOW! loaded vacation.

Archived