FVC Question - Can it be used for taxes and fees?

kendid

I'm just trying to think of how to get the best value out of the 200% credit with Virgin.

Can it be used for taxes and fees, or do we pay cash for those?

I'm wondering, as if I used the Access Key for a free cruise - can part of the FVC be used to pay the fees & taxes associated with that cruise.

Also, can FVC be used for bar tab?

Thanks in advance to those who know!

Edited by kendid

When we used the FVC we was told it can be used for Taxes and Fees (however the taxes and fees where refunded from the original). We had enough to book twice, pay taxes and fees on both and have some left over. This then was converted to Sailer Loot. Note: it doesn't show up online for some reason.

When we were cancelled the first time (due to covid) the port fees & taxes were refunded to our credit card. I was able to use the future cruise credit to cover the taxes and fees on #2 (also cancelled due to covid) and finally #3 - which we went on at the end of May and it was brilliant!

I had $70 of credit left, I was able to turn $50 into sailor loot (onboard credit)  -they only do it in $25 increments.

1 hour ago, britincanada said:

I had $70 of credit left, I was able to turn $50 into sailor loot (onboard credit)  -they only do it in $25 increments.

You should have been able to "top up" to the next $25 increment. So pay $5 and get the remaining $20 added (total $75 sailor loot).

When I received the double future voyage credit, I opted to book a back to back cruise, rather than blowing it all on a much nicer cabin. The remainder of the fvc, I converted to Sailor Loot and used it for drinking money. I believe that the only things you CAN'T use it for are purchasing travel protection and Bar Tab...

4 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

You should have been able to "top up" to the next $25 increment. So pay $5 and get the remaining $20 added (total $75 sailor loot).

I didn't even ask - we had $450 onboard credit and were mega rockstars so didn't pay for any alcohol/specialty coffees. I was in the stores the last night trying to spend the on board credit!! VV were very generous with the rebooking, leaving $20 on the table wasn't an issue, we had a serious upgrade (central sea terrace to gorgeous suite) for less than we originally paid as our taxes & port fees were refunded.

• Like 1

Any advice / experience please - we have been offered the 200% credit as our cruise (greek islands) has been cancelled.  But .... we booked this cruise as part of a package through a tour operator.  Virgin has advised we will get the 200% credit but I'm unsure how this will work with the tour operator.

Am trying (without much luck) to speak to a human from the tour operator.

Sorry - finding it all a bit confusing!