Baltimore - Walking to Port

Rubyfisch

1 hour ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Oh great, I also thought that I'd have a look the day before as I'm staying at the Courtyard next to it. I see there are stairs to the road with a path. If I don't feel it's for me then I'll arrange a ride. I hear people saying that it is not safe to walk anywhere in Baltimore which is too bad as I was also hoping to walk over to the Fort McHenry National Monument, I enjoy walking.  Thanks again for your help. 

I was planning on doing that, but didn't because of the weather. At no point did I feel unsafe. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

was also hoping to walk over to the Fort McHenry National Monument,

It is an easy, safe 20 minute walk from the Courtyard McHenry to the National Monument.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

We sailed out of Baltimore for first time Jan 27/2024 on Vision of the Seas.  Stayed at Marriott McHenry Row.  We asked if we could walk to cruise dock, and were told by front desk “No, you can’t walk it, you have to cross train tracks, and you need to take transportation there”.  There was a transportation company rep named George who was in lobby offering transportation for $15 USD per person from hotel to cruise dock.  We waited until morning and did dry run without luggage, had no issues, and spoke with port security guard to make sure we could walk into port.  Since weather was good, we decided to walk with luggage, and it took approximately 10 minutes from hotel to port building.  We were 2 couples in our 60’s and early 70’s, in reasonably good shape.  Each couple had large suitcase and small case on wheels and a backpack.  We went out back of hotel, walked behind Harris Teeter’s, went down stairway to lower street, crossed at lights, stayed on sidewalk entire way, no issues.  If you have difficulty walking, are unable to carry your luggage down/up about 20 stairs, it would be difficult.  And the railway tracks you can’t cross…..it’s one set of rails inside the port gates, level with pavement, everyone was walking over them.  We found it to be an easy walk there and back, but you have to consider your personal circumstances.  If unsure, walk it without luggage first.

• Like 3