COVID restrictions

Hello -

Understanding that no one can proffer the future, but does anyone have any idea what may be the onboard COVID restrictions placed by MSC & CDC for sailings occurring during this August ? I was under the impression that all COVID restrictions are currently lifted, but when I called-in today to book a cruise on the DIVINA for this August, the MSC customer service representative asked if all in my party where fully vaccinated. Thanks for your assistance. 

Cruise enthusiasts that I listen to suggest vaccination will be one of the last things to go.  Masks, testing - would drop off first. Increase passenger capacity. See what the effects of all this is. And make sure the onboard cases do not require hospitalization, evacuation or major medical care.  They are showing that even with vaxed passengers (plus young children), they can handle Covid.  Vaccination until at least the end of the year.  As it has been since March 2020 - don’t expect normal again until / if it is. 

Edited by alohayall

How  did you ever get the impression that all Covid restrictions on board cruise ships have been dropped?

I especially do not see any restrictions being dropped for any cruise ship leaving from any Florida port.

The cruise lines are aware of the conditions in any port used for embarkation and would be aware of the current CDC status for the counties in which ports are located.

Vaccination and testing requirements can minimized the bringing on board ship of Covid by those who do not take precautions while in the embarkation cities.

As a matter of fact, I am worried that I will be selected for the randomized testing done at the Vancouver airport of incoming   passengers because of my Florida address. The only saving grace that in the required flight Information for ArriveCan will show a flight from San Francisco and not Tampa.

Based on the destination, this is what the MSC website states, for now:

VACCINE REQUIREMENTS:

All guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of embarkation.

To be considered fully vaccinated:

• Your final dose in a 2-dose initial series of the Pfizer, Moderna, Astrazeneca, Covishield, Sinopharm, Sinovac, Coronavac, Novavax/Covovax vaccine or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine must be completed at least 14 days prior to departure. 
  • A "mix-and-match" combination of the above list of vaccines is accepted. 
  • Guests must present their original vaccination card or certificate reflecting all required doses at the pier upon check-in.
  • The vaccination certificate must be valid for the duration of the entire cruise.
  • Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 do not qualify as fully vaccinated.

Click here to review & accept terms & conditions and confirm that you will be fully vaccinated at the time of your cruise.

COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS:

• All fully COVID-19 vaccinated guests are required to show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal. MSC Cruises may provide additional testing, if necessary, at the terminal during embarkation or on board to protect our guests and crew. Be certain to follow testing requirements based on the dates above.
  • All guests not fully vaccinated (based on the above vaccination requirements) are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to ship embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal. These guests will undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age.

TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS:

• MSC encourages but does not require fully vaccinated guests based on the dates above, to purchase travel insurance either through MSC Cruises or another provider. If you choose to purchase travel insurance through MSC Cruises, the purchase must be made prior to final payment.

COVID-19 ASSISTANCE:

• Fully vaccinated guests based on the dates above, are encouraged but not required to purchase travel insurance.
  • If you choose not to purchase travel insurance, MSC Cruises provides COVID-19 assistance at no extra charge for U.S. and Puerto Rico residents who are fully vaccinated. Children under the required vaccination age based on the dates above, regardless of vaccination status, traveling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians (with proof of vaccination) also benefit from this assistance.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 within 14-days prior to your cruise, you and your traveling party will receive a full refund.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, you and your traveling party will receive a full refund and assistance, if required, with land-based quarantine.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you and your traveling party will receive a pro-rated refund and assistance, if required, with onboard medical care and land-based quarantine.

View our FAQs for additional details regarding Vaccine, COVID-19 Testing, and Travel Insurance requirements.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

How  did you ever get the impression that all Covid restrictions on board cruise ships have been dropped?

I especially do not see any restrictions being dropped for any cruise ship leaving from any Florida port.

The cruise lines are aware of the conditions in any port used for embarkation and would be aware of the current CDC status for the counties in which ports are located.

Vaccination and testing requirements can minimized the bringing on board ship of Covid by those who do not take precautions while in the embarkation cities.

As a matter of fact, I am worried that I will be selected for the randomized testing done at the Vancouver airport of incoming   passengers because of my Florida address. The only saving grace that in the required flight Information for ArriveCan will show a flight from San Francisco and not Tampa.

Thank You - Funny how that I had to drive to a Walgreens Pharmacy in Homosassa from The Villages on my last cruise to get a COVID Rapid test. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

This information is readily available on the MSC website.

I don't understand taking the time to type that when it would be quicker, and actually helpful and friendly to just say, yes, it's still required.

We're fully vaccinated and boosted and had to test 2 days prior to our May 1 sailing.

Ours was a B2B and we were tested again on board, 2 days before the end of the first week.

No masks required on board. Not even the last night(May 13), when crew in the dining room were suddenly wearing shields with their masks. So there was clearly an issue on board.

FWIW, we both tested positive after returning home (1st time for both of us, 38 days cruising since the start up). Whatever, we recovered.  It's the risk we take traveling right now.

6 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

I don't understand taking the time to type that when it would be quicker, and actually helpful and friendly to just say, yes, it's still required.

We're fully vaccinated and boosted and had to test 2 days prior to our May 1 sailing.

Ours was a B2B and we were tested again on board, 2 days before the end of the first week.

No masks required on board. Not even the last night(May 13), when crew in the dining room were suddenly wearing shields with their masks. So there was clearly an issue on board.

FWIW, we both tested positive after returning home (1st time for both of us, 38 days cruising since the start up). Whatever, we recovered.  It's the risk we take traveling right now.

Thank You and I do apologize for not making my question clearer. What I meant to ask is current cruisers experiences with COVID restrictions. Unfortunately what is listed on the MSC cruise site doesn't necessarily reflect what is actually occurring on current sailings. 

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Other than masks optional, the protocols haven't changed. You still need the covid test 2 days before the cruise.

My cruise leaves on a Saturday.   If I am tested on Thursday, I will be in the two day range?

• 19 hours ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

@alohayall

Thank you

Do you know if MSC currently requires a 48 hour negative COVID test to board their ships? 

And notice that, just like Hobby3333 ^ asked - it is 2 days, not a specific 48 hours pre-cruise for testing.  You can test very early in the morning 2 days before a late afternoon departure.  For example, Thursday morning for Saturday sail-a-way.

Edited by alohayall

21 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

The point is that too often people come onto Cruise Critic and ask questions like this and receive the wrong information.

The OP had already received the wrong impression that Covid restrictions had been lifted on board ship.

If more people took the time to learn how to research the cruise lines that they wish to cruise on and actually read all the information that the cruise line takes the time to have on their websites, there would be far fewer people  posting threads about procedures or consequences of actions that are clearly spelled out on the websites.

So I could have said yes, but the OP still would not know how to find out the information for himself .  Becoming an informed traveler should be the goal of all  tourists. 

• Like 1