Tips for first time interior room after 4 balcony cruises.

tweak89

Fact: about 1 person goes missing per week. Not many given the sheer millions who cruise. But it does happen. It's something that should be considered if you have friends or family that have a high pre-test probability of falling off a balcony. 

Fact?  Sure, I will assume you googled it. 

The OPs original question has been answered and it really has nothing to do with with people missing or being impaired on cruise ships.  Since the OP has had several balcony cabins (safely) in the past they do not appear to be at high risk for anything except enjoying another balcony at some point.  Hopefully they will also have a great cruise in the inside cabin they have on their next cruise (lots of great tips for them).  Its all good!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

I disagree that it is misleading. You have cruised for 20 years. You know what people do while cruising with an unlimited drink package. Mix that with psychiatric issues or recklessness and it can be an issue. The fact that it isn't mentioned I think is misleading. Just because I don't fall, would never jump off, or do something reckless or stupid doesn't mean that others wouldn't. Fact: about 1 person goes missing per week. Not many given the sheer millions who cruise. But it does happen. It's something that should be considered if you have friends or family that have a high pre-test probability of falling off a balcony. 

And it's a free country. I can only advise friends and family on what they should do. If they ignore my advice and book a balcony and there is a bad outcome, I know I can sleep better knowing that I at least advised them not to get a balcony. Telling others what to do is paternalism and I cannot control others.

But if these folks have a penchant for this type of behavior,  couldn't they fall off any deck and not just a balcony? So why go on a cruise?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

Fact: about 1 person goes missing per week. Not many given the sheer millions who cruise. But it does happen. It's something that should be considered if you have friends or family that have a high pre-test probability of falling off a balcony. 

Fact?  Sure, I will assume you googled it. 

The OPs original question has been answered and it really has nothing to do with with people missing or being impaired on cruise ships.  Since the OP has had several balcony cabins (safely) in the past they do not appear to be at high risk for anything except enjoying another balcony at some point.  Hopefully they will also have a great cruise in the inside cabin they have on their next cruise (lots of great tips for them).  Its all good!

Other people read the thread too. It may prevent a bad outcome. Who knows. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

But if these folks have a penchant for this type of behavior,  couldn't they fall off any deck and not just a balcony? So why go on a cruise?

They could. As I mentioned before, it's possible but not probable. But the relative risk increases when a balcony is involved.

Agreed that those with a propensity for going overboard should reconsider going on a cruise. But I am not the master of the universe. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrSea said:

...chances of falling off are higher. I have some friends who go buck wild and do stupid things. I cannot get a balcony with them because it is a safety hazard. 

The second part of your comment (I truncated) supports your decision! 

And, in modern history of mass market cruising no one has ever fallen from a cruise ship unless reckless behavior was involved. Most, if not all of the time alcohol, doing stupid things or passenger behavior regarding themselves or to others is the cause. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

And, in modern history of mass market cruising no one has ever fallen from a cruise ship unless reckless behavior was involved. Most, if not all of the time alcohol, doing stupid things or passenger behavior regarding themselves or to others is the cause. 

agreed

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
On 6/13/2022 at 9:32 PM, Ranyw said:

I left my TV on overnight and tuned it to the forward facing deck camera.  That way, when the sun came up I knew it.

Well , that's a good tip 😎

Yeah, just leave your TV on ship cams. With the bigger flat TV, it is your ocean view window. There are multiple cams, so you can even choose your view. Better than a real ocean view cabin, right?

And, hang one or two towels on your TV pretending they are window curtains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2