Just Back From Brilliance and Wonder in Europe!

6 hours ago, artvlay said:

Jacquelyn,

What GREAT advice you provided!!

Called my TA, gave her my flight information and it's done. You were a huge help.

Did you use the bus or taxi to get to the airport? I dont know which is more convenient to getting to the arrivals area?

Regarding Rome, Where does the Civitavechia Shuttle Express drop you off in both Rome and Civitavechia? 

After our Rome cruise we are heading to Termini train to catch a train to Venice. Didnt know if it is faster or easier to get a train from Civitavechia to Termini? 

Thanks in advance. 

Marshall 

Hi Marshall,

I am so happy I was able to help! I have always received such great advice from people on these boards 🙂 

In Venice, we stayed at the Hilton in Mestre. They offered a shuttle to the airport for around 16 Euro, and it dropped us off near Arrivals. It could not have been simpler. I suggest taking a taxi or hotel shuttle, and asking them to drop you off at Arrivals. I am not sure where the bus lets you off, or how convenient it will be.

Re: Civitavechia Shuttle Express in Rome:

- At the port in Civi, they let us off right at the boarding Terminal. Literally right by the door to enter the terminal where RCCL reps were waiting to guide us.

- Upon pickup after the cruise, they met us just as we exited the secure area with a sign.

- They dropped us off right at our hotel door. 

- We also used them to the airport - They picked us up at the hotel and took us to Rome FCO Departures.

It is not faster nor easier to catch a train from Civi to Termini as you still need to get to the train station in Civi. It wasn't even that much more expensive to use CSE once you factor in the train tickets for 2 plus a taxi from the ship to the Civi train station. If you are traveling light, you can walk to the train station, but it is still a couple of miles. 

We did the reverse - A train from Venice (Mestre) to Rome. Beautiful scenery! 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Hi Marshall,

I am so happy I was able to help! I have always received such great advice from people on these boards 🙂 

In Venice, we stayed at the Hilton in Mestre. They offered a shuttle to the airport for around 16 Euro, and it dropped us off near Arrivals. It could not have been simpler. I suggest taking a taxi or hotel shuttle, and asking them to drop you off at Arrivals. I am not sure where the bus lets you off, or how convenient it will be.

Re: Civitavechia Shuttle Express in Rome:

- At the port in Civi, they let us off right at the boarding Terminal. Literally right by the door to enter the terminal where RCCL reps were waiting to guide us.

- Upon pickup after the cruise, they met us just as we exited the secure area with a sign.

- They dropped us off right at our hotel door. 

- We also used them to the airport - They picked us up at the hotel and took us to Rome FCO Departures.

It is not faster nor easier to catch a train from Civi to Termini as you still need to get to the train station in Civi. It wasn't even that much more expensive to use CSE once you factor in the train tickets for 2 plus a taxi from the ship to the Civi train station. If you are traveling light, you can walk to the train station, but it is still a couple of miles. 

We did the reverse - A train from Venice (Mestre) to Rome. Beautiful scenery! 

Thanks again Jacquelyn, this has just about answered everything. We are traveling for 38 days using our accumulated FCC. Three cruises ending on Anthem TA.

By the way, did you think Mestre was safe?

On 6/12/2022 at 3:43 AM, Jimbo said:

Sounds like Wonder is a no go then for a Europe Cruise since that is all that ship does is inter port.

Just board in Barcelona. The issues are caused by boarding in Rome which means in the RCI system you do half of 2 cruises 

I have no idea what the issue is. We board in Barcelona and then when rhey stop in italy to change some passengers we go off out and about. Never had any issues or problems getting on and off.  Yeah i get it with the dining but its all about meeting new people. Also barcelona airport to cruise port so much easier to get too.

22 hours ago, artvlay said:

Thanks again Jacquelyn, this has just about answered everything. We are traveling for 38 days using our accumulated FCC. Three cruises ending on Anthem TA.

By the way, did you think Mestre was safe?

I really liked staying in Mestre since we were traveling with several luggage and getting around in Venice would have been a challenge.

Mestre train station appeared to be safe, as usual be on the lookout for pick-pockets, but it was a large enough train station. Hilton in Mestre was super safe, and we took the bus from Venice back to the hotel at night and it was safe too. I did not walk around Mestre other than getting from the bus back to the hotel, so cannot comment. 

Is the hotel you are staying at on the bus line? If so, it is really easy to get into Venice, however the bus does get very crowded at times. 

38 days traveling on 3 cruises sounds like a dream!! Enjoy your amazing vacation.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:08 AM, BekkaW said:

Just board in Barcelona. The issues are caused by boarding in Rome which means in the RCI system you do half of 2 cruises 

Boarding in Barcelona is definitely easier, but I would board again in Rome if it were more convenient to. If everything was equal, I would recommend Barcelona.

Do you know if anyone had to have a  Covid test in order to get off the ship at the ports on the Brilliance? My husband is only vaccinated (not boosted) and I'm reading that he may need testing at the ports of call.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:11 PM, Host Jacquelyn said:

Any questions, let me know!

Both cruises were spectacular. I found Brilliance more friendly, people were talking to one another and the overall vibe was very warm. Wonder seemed to have more groups, and people kept to themselves. Covid on both ships, I think it is unavoidable. I would be glad to answer any questions.

Just curious if you knew anyone who got off Brilliance and had flights from Marco Polo Airport that afternoon.  We are already booked on a Royal bus to take us back to the airport from the ship and several agents have assured my TA that we will clear customs and make our early afternoon flight. As of right now, we thankfully do not have to worry about Covid testing to get back to the states. 

On 6/20/2022 at 12:49 PM, WomanRN said:

Just curious if you knew anyone who got off Brilliance and had flights from Marco Polo Airport that afternoon.  We are already booked on a Royal bus to take us back to the airport from the ship and several agents have assured my TA that we will clear customs and make our early afternoon flight. As of right now, we thankfully do not have to worry about Covid testing to get back to the states. 

We took the 7:30am RCCL shuttle to Marco Polo Airport,  and arrived around 10:15 am. You will be fine for an afternoon flight. You can try to secure an even earlier shuttle time. The shuttle left on time and we did not have much traffic.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:39 PM, cabohdan said:

Do you know if anyone had to have a  Covid test in order to get off the ship at the ports on the Brilliance? My husband is only vaccinated (not boosted) and I'm reading that he may need testing at the ports of call.

I recall reading that some ports required the second shot (or booster) to be no more than 270 days from the date you planned to visit. However things change all the time, best to get updated info directly from the cruise line. I would even recommend looking at the specific countries' policies.

I personally did not hear of any one testing prior to leaving the ship for excursions.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, Host Jacquelyn said:

We took the 7:30am RCCL shuttle to Marco Polo Airport,  and arrived around 10:15 am. You will be fine for an afternoon flight. You can try to secure an even earlier shuttle time. The shuttle left on time and we did not have much traffic.

Thanks Jacquelyn - very reassuring! That was our plan - first/earliest shuttle.  Are they checking luggage on the ship or do you have to do that at the airport?

On 6/28/2022 at 4:57 PM, WomanRN said:

Thanks Jacquelyn - very reassuring! That was our plan - first/earliest shuttle.  Are they checking luggage on the ship or do you have to do that at the airport?

I don't believe they were checking luggage on the ship, but we stayed in Venice for 2 more days so we didn't inquire

On 6/28/2022 at 11:57 PM, WomanRN said:

You check in your luggage at the airport for a flight.