Faster WiFi - Elon Musk Starlink Coming to RCCL Fleet

Bill Miller

12 hours ago, canderson said:

This particular program is managed at a technical level out of Colorado Springs.  Wow, 1979.  Satcom was really just barely getting started back then, but by then, there was already recognition that a program like GEODSS was needed and was well on its developmental path.

Actually my first exposure to "Satcom" was in 1973. There was a group of those techies down the hall from my crypto shop.

I confess I had to look up GEODSS . . . deep-space surveillance. My turn for "wow". I can only imagine.

Your later comment about image size relating to data transmission needs is right on point. For slightly (tongue-in-cheek) less-demanding general commercial applications, I'll throw streaming 4K video (not to mention video calling) into the conversation, times a billion or two. Cruise lines offer "standard" and "streaming" WiFi packages, for a reason. Streaming uses a whole heckuva lot more bandwidth that email, an online news page or social networking on average.

One thing to consider is whether cruise ships will upgrade the "local area network" to take advantage of a larger pipe. "Local" meaning the numerous (presumably dozens of) WiFi Access Points that thousands of us will have to connect to (plus some number of wired connections around the ship), and then pass data through -- and then the switches and router(s) that process all the traffic to and from the Access Points, and simultaneously to and from the "big pipe in the sky" (satellite feed). Passing gigabits of data per second, for just one connection, is a HUGE thing. In fact "HUGE" doesn't even begin to cover it. In fact even for a techie like me I am utterly amazed, even flabbergasted, that it all actually works.

But bring it on Elon, I'm "wired" and ready to go.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was just reading an article on the Point's Guy that they are currently testing it on a RCL ship with a portable antenna unit and said that once it is approved and a new antenna installed it would be 7x faster than the test.    Hmmmm...  wonder what that would mean cost wise.

Mind posting the URL?  Searched and nothing relevant on either TPG or even google comes up

30 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

I confess I had to look up GEODSS . . . deep-space surveillance. My turn for "wow". I can only imagine.

Your later comment about image size relating to data transmission needs is right on point. 

Don't get hung up on the word "Deep".  It's not appropriate here as it implies objects outside of Earth's gravitational influence.  No idea what the history is behind that misnomer.

4 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Done nothing?? Invented PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, etc. The man is a genius, a modern Leonardo Da Vinci. He also happens to have Aspergers Syndrome which, in many people, exhibits high intelligence.

You seem bitter. Did he fire you?

I would guess in most people. It takes a fairly intelligent person to recognize what's behind all the "red herrings" of everything-autism.  I've had a couple of friends with at least borderline Aspergers, and their brainpower was off the chain. My daughter is possibly that, but coupled with a reading comprehension disorder that caused her major problems in high school. But her on-the-fly math skills were incredible.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Don't get hung up on the word "Deep".  It's not appropriate here as it implies objects outside of Earth's gravitational influence.  No idea what the history is behind that misnomer.

Gotcha. It just opened up another whole deal for contemplation.

SpaceX has completed a Hat Trick of Launches this weekend. A fresh record & accomplishment. Three launches, three different pads on three consecutive days. I admire the the work of these young engineers as they rocket us into the future.  And yes, I know their work is based on the science of the engineers that came before them. Still most awesome to watch live video of the first stage engine section land on a rocking and rolling autonomous barge named "Just read the instructions," in the Atlantic Ocean. Most impressive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

SpaceX has completed a Hat Trick of Launches this weekend. A fresh record & accomplishment. Three launches, three different pads on three consecutive days. I admire the the work of these young engineers as they rocket us into the future.  And yes, I know their work is based on the science of the engineers that came before them. Still most awesome to watch live video of the first stage engine section land on a rocking and rolling autonomous barge named "Just read the instructions," in the Atlantic Ocean. Most impressive.

I remember the day of the first Space Shuttle launch. I was living a little more than 15 miles south of the launch pad. That weekend morning I felt the launch (the vibration woke me up from 15 miles away) before I ran outside to scope it visually.

The Space Shuttle was built from a plan that originated in the mid-1960s, and of course that plan also had decades of engineering history behind it. Some people argue about the cost, how all that money was spent one way instead of another. But it was all that money that got us in the position today of providing for the needs (and wants) of a population of 7 billion people on planet earth . . . soon to be 8 billion. And counting. We need all the knowledge and engineering we can get, more and more. Among many other aspects of all the technology we've grown into, communication can save lives, almost anywhere in the world. This is one part of progress that I will never, ever argue with or question in the slightest.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Done nothing?? Invented PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, etc. The man is a genius, a modern Leonardo Da Vinci. He also happens to have Aspergers Syndrome which, in many people, exhibits high intelligence.

You seem bitter. Did he fire you?

Perhaps you might want to do a little reading up on PayPal and Tesla. Neither were "invented" by Elon Musk, but true to his megalomaniacal personality he lets that myth grow. SpaceX on the other hand is his baby, but while he may have had a vision, it's the thousand of engineers that work for SpaceX that have brought it to reality.

Take off your rose colored glasses and see Musk for who he really is, a modern day Robber Baron.

11 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

Perhaps you might want to do a little reading up on PayPal and Tesla. Neither were "invented" by Elon Musk, but true to his megalomaniacal personality he lets that myth grow. SpaceX on the other hand is his baby, but while he may have had a vision, it's the thousand of engineers that work for SpaceX that have brought it to reality.

Take off your rose colored glasses and see Musk for who he really is, a modern day Robber Baron.

Ruthless and unethical (definition of robber baron) - I completely disagree. He's a very talented engineer himself and is right in the trenches with everyone else. He demands hard work, encourages creativity and leads by example. That's way more than I can say for the layers of useless management in most companies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Ruthless and unethical (definition of robber baron) - I completely disagree. He's a very talented engineer himself and is right in the trenches with everyone else. He demands hard work, encourages creativity and leads by example. That's way more than I can say for the layers of useless management in most companies. 

My point was, he had nothing to do with the invention of PayPal and Tesla. Those were the brainchildren of others.

As for him not being ruthless and unethical, you really should read up on the multitude of lawsuits he is facing. There is a serious disconnect between his public "anti-establishment" & "free speech absolutist" personas and the one inside his companies. For all you know, the only reason he's "in the trenches" is to crack the whip.

• Like 1