Using my Verizon phone on Celebrity

Fuzzy55

On 6/12/2022 at 5:22 PM, Stockjock said:

You must be in airplane mode, wifi only.  If you get it wrong, you could get a huge bill. . . .

YES. Turning off cellular data only stops data usge, it does NOT stop call usage or (by itself) roaming, or messaging. Airplane mode is ALWAYS the way to go when cruising, except when purposely trying to call or text via cellular service.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moonarino said:

YES. Turning off cellular data only stops data usge, it does NOT stop call usage or (by itself) roaming, or messaging. Airplane mode is ALWAYS the way to go when cruising, except when purposely trying to call or text via cellular service.

The KeepGo data card I use is not capable of making cellular calls.  It is not linked to an account other than the data that remains associated with that SIM.

So yes, I typically do have the phone in Airplane mode, but there have been times where I turn it off if my data only card is in place, as I can sometimes hit cell towers, which in my case, is okay so long as that data *only* SIM is running.

Here's a link for the SIM that I use.
https://www.keepgo.com

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

The KeepGo data card I use is not capable of making cellular calls.  It is not linked to an account other than the data that remains associated with that SIM.

So yes, I typically do have the phone in Airplane mode, but there have been times where I turn it off if my data only card is in place, as I can sometimes hit cell towers, which in my case, is okay so long as that data *only* SIM is running.

Here's a link for the SIM that I use.
https://www.keepgo.com

Cool. None of my phones (older models, I detest the newer Android versons) have eSIM capability.  But I've learned something new.

49 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Cool. None of my phones (older models, I detest the newer Android versons) have eSIM capability.  But I've learned something new.

It's not eSIM, but an actual SIM card.  I typically swap it out at the embarkation port before boarding the ship.  It's important to turn off auto updates (apps and OS), photo backups and such, as they can kill the data.

To dial, I use either Skype, Google Voice, or Talkatone.  Between those 3, I can usually dial out.  I can also use my Verizon SIM for $10 per day in most places (airplane mode on the ship of course), but buying the data card is often cheaper, especially for longer trips.  The data lasts forever, as long as you add some data once per year.  I think the minimum is $3, and I just added that to my GF's card to kick expiration forward a year rather than let it expire.

I think buying the physical World SIM card (which I've used in places like China, Thailand, Japan, Europe, etc) is about $49 and as of this writing, that includes 2 GB of data.  That card doesn't work on every Caribbean island, however, but it works most places.

Edited by Stockjock

• 9 months later...

Are people trying too hard to avoid connecting their cell phones to the cellular "tower" on the Celebrity cruise ships. Turning on "airplane mode" seems to be the go-to solution recommended for everyone.

My wife and I are on Verizon. Based on the information provided by Verizon (link) and Cellular at Sea (link), it seems that Verizon's Pay-as-You-Go talk and text rates are reasonable alternative to Wifi-calling IF you only need voice and text for emergency calls and several short arrival/departure messages. Verizon charges $3 per minute (talk) and $0.50/$0.05 per message sent/received. This can be cheaper than getting Premium Wifi for making few phone calls. Of course, definitely get Premium Wifi and use Wifi calling if you need the faster Internet connection anyway. 

Am I missing something or did I get the facts wrong? Thanks.

Rather than paying for Verizon's Pay-as-You-Go why not just sign up for their $5 international calling?  Of course it depends upon the plan you're on.  I think international is included in their current plans.  I've got a really old grandfathered plan for which the total charge is $5/day per phone for any day it is used.  Unlimited text, talk and data (but data may be reduced to 2G/3G).  I do believe it counts against my plan allowance of 15GB/month.  Your individual lines need to be activated to the plan and I have to go online to Verizon within 45 days of travel and set up my "Travel Plan" --- basically telling Verizon where I'll be and when.

13 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Rather than paying for Verizon's Pay-as-You-Go why not just sign up for their $5 international calling?  Of course it depends upon the plan you're on.  I think international is included in their current plans.  I've got a really old grandfathered plan for which the total charge is $5/day per phone for any day it is used.  Unlimited text, talk and data (but data may be reduced to 2G/3G).  I do believe it counts against my plan allowance of 15GB/month.  Your individual lines need to be activated to the plan and I have to go online to Verizon within 45 days of travel and set up my "Travel Plan" --- basically telling Verizon where I'll be and when.

In my experience, using Verizon's international calling is abysmal.  So far, my solution is the best that I know of (buying a Keepgo data only SIM card which works in many/most countries and using Skype, Google Voice or Talkatone to dial).  The data is strong and offers a good experience. When I tried my free Verizon International days, it was brutal.  So very, very slow.  I think they throttle things after a small usage.

There are some countries Keepgo doesn't work in, especially a few Caribbean countries, but it works well in the vast majority of Europe and Asia.  I've even used it in China.

Here's a referral link that I think gets everyone free extra data.
Keepgo Referral Link

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Rather than paying for Verizon's Pay-as-You-Go why not just sign up for their $5 international calling?

I thought Verizon’s international plan does not on the cruise ship. They only have pay-as-you-go for the cellular at sea service. Once you are in ports overseas, the international plan becomes applicable. 

Edited by GreenDice

3 hours ago, GreenDice said:

Are people trying too hard to avoid connecting their cell phones to the cellular "tower" on the Celebrity cruise ships. Turning on "airplane mode" seems to be the go-to solution recommended for everyone.

My wife and I are on Verizon. Based on the information provided by Verizon (link) and Cellular at Sea (link), it seems that Verizon's Pay-as-You-Go talk and text rates are reasonable alternative to Wifi-calling IF you only need voice and text for emergency calls and several short arrival/departure messages. Verizon charges $3 per minute (talk) and $0.50/$0.05 per message sent/received. This can be cheaper than getting Premium Wifi for making few phone calls. Of course, definitely get Premium Wifi and use Wifi calling if you need the faster Internet connection anyway. 

Am I missing something or did I get the facts wrong? Thanks.

I don't think you are missing anything.  My family and I are very internet hungry so we don't normally consider that option.

1 hour ago, GreenDice said:

I thought Verizon’s international plan does not on the cruise ship. They only have pay-as-you-go for the cellular at sea service. Once you are in ports overseas, the international plan becomes applicable. 

That is my understanding as well.  For our recent Transatlantic cruise this past October, we ended up buying an international plan for one month.  The Verizon rep at the store told me that the international plan did not include cruise ships anymore and that changed recently (the Verizon rep was also a cruiser).

Just to add one more thing about the Keepgo data SIM.

If you have the Keepgo SIM properly installed and it is the *only* SIM installed, then there is no need to turn the phone to airplane mode.  That means that if I happen to be close enough to shore to hit a cell tower from the balcony, then I can use that tower and there is no charge, but I will of course use the prepaid data.  I also don't have to worry about hitting the ship's tower.  This is because the data (only) SIM card is not associated with my normal Verizon account, or any other billable account.

As mentioned, if I need to call out or receive calls, I have to use Skype (usually) or Google Voice or Talkatone, as a data only card is just that, data only.  But again, there are ways to use the data to send and receive calls.

Obviously, it's critical to have the data SIM in place when on the ship, unless in airplane mode.  I normally install it just before I board the ship and replace it with my Verizon SIM once off the ship.  Also, there is an APN that needs to be installed before using, and it's free and simple instructions can be found here (see link).  Before boarding, perhaps weeks in advance, I recommend doing a test run with the data SIM card.
https://www.keepgo.com/pages/sim_install

Edited by Stockjock

31 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

GreenDice... My understanding about Verizon International is that it's not for the ship usage. Just ports.

StockJock... interesting.

On Verizon that's true.  But even in ports, it's a very poor experience, based my my experience.

If you are using a Verizon SIM card, ensure that your phone is in Wi-Fi only mode.  The Keepgo option I mentioned temporarily replaces your Verizon SIM and is not associated with any billing account, so in that case, if that's the only SIM card, the phone would not have to be used in Wi-Fi only mode.

If you have multiple SIM cards or multiple eSIMs, then it would be wise to operate in Wi-Fi only mode on the ship.  In my case, I have an iPhone 12 Pro and physical SIM card, so I swap those cards prior to boarding the ship and then swap back to my Verizon card once the trip is over and I'm back in the USA.  

In other words, because while on the ship Keepgo SIM is my only card, I cannot be billed for accidentally hitting the ships tower.  But if I had a Verizon card in there as well, that's where nasty surprises happen.  If in doubt, keep it in wi-fi mode and Keepgo is still a great option for data usage while onshore in most countries

I hope I'm making myself clear on this.

Here are some other promo codes that might work (no promises)

Grab Free Data & Discounts 

Whatever eSIM bundle you choose, you can get 2GB of free data* for your account with the ESIM2GBFREE promo code (refill your eSIM with at least 1GB to apply the free data promo code in MyAccount).

Besides, you can save up to 50% OFF on Keepgo Lifetime products this spring. To save on your order, choose your promo code**: 

✔️Use promo code NEW-SIM to buy Lifetime World and Lifetime Europe SIM Cards 50% OFF.

✔️Use promo code NEW-WIFI to save 10% OFF on Lifetime World and Lifetime Europe Wi-Fi hotspots.

The offer is valid until April 6!

Edited by Stockjock