Need a list of Bars/Night Life of Old San Juan

Ruth

Help...group of 8 of us will be in Old San Juan one Saturday night in March...Next day set sail on Carnival Destiny... We need a good list of Bar/night Life in Old San Juan...we will be staying in Old San Juan.

Thanks....Any help is appreciated...

All the Best....

We usually head to the Parrot Club for dinner and drinks. From there, we stumble out onto Fortaleza St. and bar hop from place to place. Last time we ended up at Senor Frogs.

Here's a link from Frommers about nightlife.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/0323010030.html

Listed places include Babylon in Isla Verde, Rumba in OSJ (Dirty Dancing Havana Nights filmed there), Club Laser in OSJ.

You could also try out the La Rumba Party Cruise-- We've seen them out partying in the bay a couple of times. Looked like they were having fun aboard. You can read about it in the above link.

Unfortunately I do not have any names of bars or clubs to share in OSJ b/c I can't remember where we went but you can always go down Fortaleza St or San Sebastian/Sebastian St. We went to a couple of clubs in the neighborhood then fell upon Fortaleza & Sebastian St. The next night we bar hopped from place to place. Each place is different and it is alot of fun going from place to place. Have fun!! :)

We were there 2 nights precruise end of Nov.....looking for salsa as we took lessons before we left !!! Finally got dh to agree since we would be in Puerto Rico for 2 nights !!! We also stayed Old San Juan (El Convento). I know two good clubs but do not have the addresses anymore... look at the top of this page and click on Destinations.... get to San Juan and that is where I found them.

Went to Newyorican - but they had jazz band that night. They also have cover charge.

Then walked over to Rhumba Club (quite a walk in heels on cobblestones!) and they had a 6 piece salsa band that was awesome.....lots of locals dancing (and they know how to do it too ) No cover but drinks were a little pricey....and strong !

Neither of these clubs are fancy - they are were the locals go to party on the weekends.... always a band too. But clean and safe and we had alot of fun at Rhumba..... did not know dirty dancing Havana was filmed there tho.... interesting.

We were there 2 nights precruise end of Nov.....looking for salsa as we took lessons before we left !!! Finally got dh to agree since we would be in Puerto Rico for 2 nights !!! We also stayed Old San Juan (El Convento). I know two good clubs but do not have the addresses anymore... look at the top of this page and click on Destinations.... get to San Juan and that is where I found them.

Went to Newyorican - but they had jazz band that night. They also have cover charge.

Then walked over to Rhumba Club (quite a walk in heels on cobblestones!) and they had a 6 piece salsa band that was awesome.....lots of locals dancing (and they know how to do it too ) No cover but drinks were a little pricey....and strong !

Neither of these clubs are fancy - they are were the locals go to party on the weekends.... always a band too. But clean and safe and we had alot of fun at Rhumba..... did not know dirty dancing Havana was filmed there tho.... interesting.

Hey Dothan Girl....

What time do the bars open....It will be in the high 70's today on PCB

All the best...

San Juan is a very European place.....they start much later than we do in the states... dinner is usually around 9 and the clubs only start getting going around 10-11. We hit Newyorican about 10:50 on a Friday night and it was pretty crowded already....walked over to Rhumba and it was hoppin' ! Loved watching the local couples dancing the salsa.....to local band who were very good I might add.

Wish I was there tonight !!!!;)

San Juan is a very European place.....they start much later than we do in the states... dinner is usually around 9 and the clubs only start getting going around 10-11.

I guess New York City/Long Island is "very European" too considering the clubs really don't start getting busy until 11-midnight! ;)

What are the age ranges of people at these clubs? My twenty something friends and I are going to be in San Juan in April, but don't want to show up (or pay for entry) to a club that's filled with people that are older (sorry) than us.

We got this link off the boards a while back and used the information alot. Yes, it's from a Gay website and lists those places that are Gay Friendly, but I'm friendly too :) We went to Club Lazer (disco in OSJ) as recommended by the Cruise Dining Room staff and this website, too.

http://www.glbtevents.com/travel/SanJuan.html#scene

We also found New York to be a "later" place. When we visited for a week a few years back we went to dinner after the Broadway show or just later than we normally would. But then we also slept in the next morning since we were on vacation. I dont know how people stay up that late and then get up and go to work.... when I was younger sure !!!!

Anyway - about the ages in the clubs I listed..... they were all over the place..... young 20's on up..... there was this one couple (older - sorry) that was dancing salsa and they were amazing... but I would have to say the majority were slightly younger.... you will not feel out of place.

• 2 weeks later...

Re Rumba, my daughter is also taking a salsa class at AZ State U, so was very interested in going to this club. She finally talked us into going with her, so off we went on a Friday night. All the taxi driver's know this place, so not a problem getting there. $20 from the Embassy Suites one way, but we knew that going in. They had a $5 cover charge getting in that night, I guess that band was something special. They were WONDERFUL! However, it was so loud in there, it hurt our ears. Nothing got going until 11pm, so be prepared for a late night too. It was pretty much what we would consider a dive at home, but lots of local flavor! Our disappointment came in that sense that unless you came with a partner, it was really hard to get anyone to dance with you. My daughter is a pretty university student that knows how to dance and her ego took a real beating that night! She asked quite a few to dance and mostly got turned down. She did dance a few times, but not enough to make it worth the $40 cab ride or the cover charge. Us "old folks" escaped to the bar area to help out our ears, but even removing the hovering parents didn't help her out. Maybe it was just an off night, but we were disappointed. Might try it again one of these days, but next time I will bring some ear plugs!

Archived