Checking in with a service dog

HenryKisor

I'm a service dog handler. We're scheduled to board HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam next Sunday in Vancouver. Boarding time for my assigned group is 2 p.m. Ship departs at 4 p.m. That doesn't give us a lot of time to find the location of the pee station or talk to the dining room maitre 'd for a suitable table against a wall for the dog. On previous voyages out of Fort Lauderdale and Montreal, there were special desks in the departure halls for passengers with special needs. We didn't have to wait long and were whisked aboard quickly. I am thinking about the possibility of just showing up at an earlier time and heading for the special needs desk. Or maybe I should try to find a HAL rep at our hotel the night before and ask. What do youse guys think?

If you call the Guest Accessibility Dep't I'm sure they can assign you an earlier boarding time and let you know about any special needs desk in Vancouver. I'm surprised they didn't do this for you whenever you originally contacted them with all the records for the dog.

• Like 2

There is a difference between being a service dog handler and a person who needs a service animal,  but if you are the latter, you will be taken care of for sure as all of that is arranged well before boarding from what I have seen. Try the know before you go on HAL, or call HAL. Just like taking an animal on a plane, you need to arrange things. 

• Like 1

"Service dog handler" is what people with disabilities who use service dogs call themselves. I'm one of them.

Calling HAL is problematic because I'm deaf . . . and asking a hearing person to spend an hour or more on hold to accommodate me is a no-go.

I'll just look for the HAL rep at the hotel the night before. I'll also try emailing the guest accessibility people, but having had considerable experience with them, may not get a response in time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

I'll just look for the HAL rep at the hotel the night before. I'll also try emailing the guest accessibility people, but having had considerable experience with them, may not get a response in time.

The email is a good idea. Even if you don’t get a response, there’s a chance the information will get passed on to the ship. And if not, the email was free. Enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

"Service dog handler" is what people with disabilities who use service dogs call themselves. I'm one of them.

Calling HAL is problematic because I'm deaf . . . and asking a hearing person to spend an hour or more on hold to accommodate me is a no-go.

@HenryKisor Thank you for rounding out the picture. I strongly encourage you to use this link which gives you all the information you need. I would not wait until the night before. Now you are making me anxious for you and wishing I could help you more. Good luck with your trip and I hope things work out with your service animal. Submit the form in the blue link below so that things go smoothly for you and good luck! It looks like is all electronic and should be seamless! 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/accessibility.html

The Importance of Planning Ahead
Holland America Line does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of disability. We seek, to the extent feasible, to accommodate guests with disabilities. However, some needs require adequate time to prepare for a guest's arrival. It is recommended that guests make every effort to contact our Guest Accessibility Department and to submit a Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form well in advance of the departure of their cruise and/or cruisetour. 

image.thumb.png.6694562e371b0a120618760cf278151a.png

Edited by tuolumne couple

8 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Henry, do I remember you from the Compuserve travel forum? Are you the author of Zephyr?

In case he doesn’t catch your response, I’ll confirm on Henry’s behalf that Zephyr is indeed one of about eight books he has written, including the most recent, “Traveling With Service Animals,” pre-pandemic..

• Thanks 1