Best Available??

njkate

Was looking to book Dawn from Tampa in March when I choose club balcony suite there is no cabin # I get best available? Is that an indication that those cabins are sold out? If I take it is it a roll of dice of what cabin/ deck I get?

Yes, that is an indication that the category is either sold out of already allocated to some travel agency groups.  Those cabins may re-appear to be sold as other people cancel or travel agencies release their group blocks back to NCL.   Also, as people upgrade to better cabins, the category will become available for your cabin to be assigned.

If you take the "guarantee" cabin, you will eventually be assigned to a cabin in that category OR what NCL considers to be a better cabin.  What NCL considers "better" may not coincide with what YOU think is "better".  It may be on any deck that has higher category cabins.  It may be closer to the front or rear of the ship or near the elevators or under the dance club, etc.

Your actual cabin may be assigned next week or it may be assigned any time between now and your cruise, including up to the last minute.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Thanks for explanation, think I'll just book a regular balcony as I prefer forward and decks 9 or 10. I can keep checking up to final and if any become available where I like to be I can call and upgrade myself

6 minutes ago, njkate said:

Thanks for explanation, think I'll just book a regular balcony as I prefer forward and decks 9 or 10. I can keep checking up to final and if any become available where I like to be I can call and upgrade myself

A good call if you have location preferences.  The Club Balcony Suite, isn't a true suite (and doesn't get all the good perks that go with suites) and really isn't worth much more money than a regular balcony.  I would do what you are thinking.

41 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

A good call if you have location preferences.  The Club Balcony Suite, isn't a true suite (and doesn't get all the good perks that go with suites) and really isn't worth much more money than a regular balcony.  I would do what you are thinking.

I know just wanted the bigger bathroom, no biggie

2 hours ago, njkate said:

Was looking to book Dawn from Tampa in March when I choose club balcony suite there is no cabin # I get best available? Is that an indication that those cabins are sold out? If I take it is it a roll of dice of what cabin/ deck I get?

Did the word "guarantee" appear on the booking screen?

The website was flaking out (again!) today and not allowing me to pick a cabin when I went to book a Viva cruise that is not until February 2024.  I've had this same issue two other times lately when trying to choose a cabin on two other NCL ships too.  Sometimes the glitch will right itself if you try it later/next day.  Just call them and book what you want.  I doubt there is any genuine problem.

40 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

The website was flaking out (again!) today and not allowing me to pick a cabin when I went to book a Viva cruise that is not until February 2024.  I've had this same issue two other times lately when trying to choose a cabin on two other NCL ships too.  Sometimes the glitch will right itself if you try it later/next day.  Just call them and book what you want.  I doubt there is any genuine problem.

Already booked a regular cabin I’ll keep checking and if their is cabin availability I’ll call and upgrade it. Wanted to take advantage of the cruise next double up offer

46 minutes ago, njkate said:

No it did not 

It sounds like another NCL computer glitch.  Normally, if the rooms are sold out, you won't get to the "pick a room" screen.  If they aren't, but NCL decides for whatever reason they no longer want people to be able to select specific rooms, then the category defaults to "guarantee" and the page clearly states that you'll get a room but it will eventually be assigned by NCL.  The last time that happened to me, I got a room assigned a week or two before the cruise, which I ultimately upgraded to a balcony that I was able to select.

ETA: the words "best available" do appear on the screen prior to the room selection screen.  Two of the March sailings current indicate "guarantee" on the room selection screen and the third allows specific room selection.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK