Transportation from Livorno to Florence

lakelivin2

I will be on NCL Escape this fall and we will stop in Livorno (7 am to 7 pm).  I'm looking for transportation to Florence that is easy and reliable (also more economical than cruise line prices).  I've seen "Get Your Guide" is offering bus transportation from the port shuttle drop off to Florence for a reasonable fee and wondered if anyone has used this service before, and what their experience/thoughts might be.  I'm considering using the train, but, I'm concerned with transport to and from the train station and cruise port (will taxis be available?).  Any "recent" (covid times) experience/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

For years NCL has offered a shuttle to the train station, distinct from the shuttle to the drop off at Piazza Municipio in Livorno.  Check with them to ensure that it is still offered.

Get Your Guide is simply a consolidator, they do not offer the actual service, they provide English language marketing services.  On line reviews are quite mixed, as you would expect, since there are multiple service providers.

I guess the question is "what if there is no shuttle?"  We are talking about Italy where anything is possible.  The taxis at the port will be reluctant to take folks to the train station, but being politely assertive and asking around among the drivers will often get a taxi to make the relatively short trip.  When you return to Livorno there will only be a few taxis waiting in front of the train station.   We have never had a problem getting taxis to take us to the port, but that assumes there is a taxi.  Since it is first come first serve it is wise to be among the first off the train and then move quickly to outside the front of the station to get one of the few taxis.  If there are no more taxis you must simply wait and hope that some return to the station.  We have never been stranded, but this all speaks to why you should plan on getting back to Livorno at least 1 1/2 hours before you must be back aboard the ship.

Hank

we were on the EPIC in 2019 and at that time NCL offered a shuttle from the ship to train station at $25pp RT.  It's a pricey 10 minute ride, but given how economical the train is, it was very budget friendly day. 

I also looked into tuscanybus.com (for the drive only, no tour) but we wanted to see PISA as well, and their combo transfer didn't offer as much time at each location as the train would provide. ( And Tuscany bus didn't pick up at the pier either so the shuttle was needed.)