Question about calling when in port.

slavigne5577

We booked a fishing trip in Grand Cayman and the driver picking us up wants us to call or message him when the ship docks. What's the easiest or cheapest way to do this? Thanks for any information. We do not use phones or internet while cruising normally. We have Verizon if matters. 

You will get international roaming charges when there if you try to use your phones. My experience when I needed to contact a person we were meeting, one of the people offering excursions was more than willing to make a quick call for us. I tried giving him money, but he refused and just accepted our thanks.

Might want to inquire with the driver what kinds of calls he can take (Messenger, Whatsapp, Duo, Facetime, etc.) and try and use one of the many free wi-fi spots near the Grand Cayman cruise port to make contact and avoid paying for international plans.

We had Verizon for a short period of time but since they are CDMA and not GSM they are pretty useless when traveling.  T-mobile includes international roaming and I've never had an issue in any of the countries I've visited (including India, Croatia, Colombia, Ecuador, Oman and every Caribbean cruise port).  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

Thank you. I believe Verizon has a $10 a day Travel Pass. I may just get it for that day and nor worry about roaming charges.

ATT has the same thing. with ATT you add it to the phone prior to travelling then they just charge $10 for the entire day if you use it. Works out well.

53 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

Thank you. I believe Verizon has a $10 a day Travel Pass. I may just get it for that day and nor worry about roaming charges.

This is correct.  We have Verizon Travel Pass, and they only charge you if you call when in port.  You can visit ports, not call, and receive no charge for the day.  

Just now, pcvtmom said:

This is correct.  We have Verizon Travel Pass, and they only charge you if you call when in port.  You can visit ports, not call, and receive no charge for the day.  

Thank you, you answered the question I just tried to get Verizon to answer.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...