Seattle Arrival Groups

reiddg

We're on the 7-day Inside Passage embarking 8/28 on the Discovery Princess.  I've read through a number of threads on the new arrival group boarding process and I'm coming away with the impression that it really doesn't matter what you choose, (and if the Medallion app will function properly to allow you to choose in the first place...), you'll be able to board pretty much whenever you arrive as long as boarding has commenced.  It seems to be even more the case if you have Elite or Platinum status or you're in a suite.  I've not read anywhere where cruisers were made to wait until their scheduled boarding time.  Just want to make sure as we like to arrive early (10:30 - 11:00) and wait in the Elite/Platinum lounge.  In all our cruises, we've never had to wait more than 30 minutes or so.

I was browsing the Princess Cruises forum on Facebook and saw pictures of horrendous lines outside of the terminal in San Francisco recently and people were saying it was a 2 hour wait to board.  I'm thinking that was an anomaly but would like to hear other cruisers experience in the boarding process:  breeze through?  disorganized mess? enforced/unenforced boarding times?

Thanks in Advance and Happy Cruising!   

37 minutes ago, reiddg said:

We're on the 7-day Inside Passage embarking 8/28 on the Discovery Princess.  I've read through a number of threads on the new arrival group boarding process and I'm coming away with the impression that it really doesn't matter what you choose, (and if the Medallion app will function properly to allow you to choose in the first place...), you'll be able to board pretty much whenever you arrive as long as boarding has commenced.  It seems to be even more the case if you have Elite or Platinum status or you're in a suite.  I've not read anywhere where cruisers were made to wait until their scheduled boarding time.  Just want to make sure as we like to arrive early (10:30 - 11:00) and wait in the Elite/Platinum lounge.  In all our cruises, we've never had to wait more than 30 minutes or so.

I was browsing the Princess Cruises forum on Facebook and saw pictures of horrendous lines outside of the terminal in San Francisco recently and people were saying it was a 2 hour wait to board.  I'm thinking that was an anomaly but would like to hear other cruisers experience in the boarding process:  breeze through?  disorganized mess? enforced/unenforced boarding times?

Thanks in Advance and Happy Cruising!   

We've cruised three times since the restart and arrival times on the app. First one was an Alaska roundtrip Seattle. We had Princess transfers and had chosen early boarding. When the bus arrived at the cruise terminal, we all just went in together. Nobody checked boarding times at all. Second cruise was southern coastal, roundtrip San Francisco. We had a suite for that one, drove to SF, and had early boarding. We were directed to wait in the PES waiting area, just like always based on loyalty level. Nobody checked boarding times at all, so when the PES waiting area was called, we all went in at once. Third one was northern coast, roundtrip San Francisco. For this one, they actually checked, but it was after we'd already gone in and gone through security. They checked at the green lane desk and directed us to the PES waiting area. We saw photos of horrendous lines after we were already on the ship, but we didn't encounter that. The actual checking in procedure for all three cruises was very good.

We sail again in August, the Discovery sailing before yours, and it beats me what they'll be doing in the way of checking boarding times.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

We've cruised three times since the restart and arrival times on the app. First one was an Alaska roundtrip Seattle. We had Princess transfers and had chosen early boarding. When the bus arrived at the cruise terminal, we all just went in together. Nobody checked boarding times at all. Second cruise was southern coastal, roundtrip San Francisco. We had a suite for that one, drove to SF, and had early boarding. We were directed to wait in the PES waiting area, just like always based on loyalty level. Nobody checked boarding times at all, so when the PES waiting area was called, we all went in at once. Third one was northern coast, roundtrip San Francisco. For this one, they actually checked, but it was after we'd already gone in and gone through security. They checked at the green lane desk and directed us to the PES waiting area. We saw photos of horrendous lines after we were already on the ship, but we didn't encounter that. The actual checking in procedure for all three cruises was very good.

We sail again in August, the Discovery sailing before yours, and it beats me what they'll be doing in the way of checking boarding times.

Thanks for the feedback.  It's kind of what I thought - YMMV, but for the most part not enforced.  I think we'll just head to the terminal at our normal time and then head to the PEL.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, reiddg said:

Thanks for the feedback.  It's kind of what I thought - YMMV, but for the most part not enforced.  I think we'll just head to the terminal at our normal time and then head to the PEL.  Have a great cruise!

You have a great cruise too! We'll take good care of the ship for you. 😃

• Like 1

We have a 11-11:30 boarding time next week at Pier 91. At Pier 91 in Seattle the PEL lounge is kind of a joke, just don't expect much and you'll be fine. Make sure you have everything you need to get on the ship. ArriveCan is the one everyone seems to be confused about.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

We have a 11-11:30 boarding time next week at Pier 91. At Pier 91 in Seattle the PEL lounge is kind of a joke, just don't expect much and you'll be fine. Make sure you have everything you need to get on the ship. ArriveCan is the one everyone seems to be confused about.

Thanks for the info.  Since we live in FL, we mostly cruise out of FLL but have left out of LA as well.  So far, none of the PELs have been anything more than a separate waiting room near the gangway.  Happy to have a smaller waiting room and priority boarding though.

I'm glad you brought up ArriveCan.  I've filled out everything and am waiting on the 96hr pre-cruise time to complete the app and get the receipt.  However, I've found no clear info that we require it.  We're not taking any excursions that go into Canada nor are we getting off the ship in Vancouver.  Do you know if this is something Princess will verify for everyone or does it happen once in Canada by Canadian authorities? 

4 hours ago, reiddg said:

Thanks for the info.  Since we live in FL, we mostly cruise out of FLL but have left out of LA as well.  So far, none of the PELs have been anything more than a separate waiting room near the gangway.  Happy to have a smaller waiting room and priority boarding though.

I'm glad you brought up ArriveCan.  I've filled out everything and am waiting on the 96hr pre-cruise time to complete the app and get the receipt.  However, I've found no clear info that we require it.  We're not taking any excursions that go into Canada nor are we getting off the ship in Vancouver.  Do you know if this is something Princess will verify for everyone or does it happen once in Canada by Canadian authorities? 

The best PEL lounge I’ve ever been in is the one at San Pedro. The PEL lounge at Pier 91 is a couple office partitions with a small folding table with some rolls and coffee on it and a few chairs, at least that the way it’s been on the last 5 cruises we’ve been on out of Seattle.

Everyone has to fill out the ArriveCan information and get the QR code before they cruise out of Seattle even if you’re not planning on getting off the ship in Victoria. Your cruising in Canadian waters, it there requirement. I heard that they were checking for ArriveCan QR codes at Pier 91 and those who didn’t have it weren’t allowed into the terminal building. I look at it as just being part of the game.

Just now, Eaglecw said:

The best PEL lounge I’ve ever been in is the one at San Pedro. The PEL lounge at Pier 91 is a couple office partitions with a small folding table with some rolls and coffee on it and a few chairs, at least that the way it’s been on the last 5 cruises we’ve been on out of Seattle.

Everyone has to fill out the ArriveCan information and get the QR code before they cruise out of Seattle even if you’re not planning on getting off the ship in Victoria. Your cruising in Canadian waters, it there requirement. I heard that they were checking for ArriveCan QR codes at Pier 91 and those who didn’t have it weren’t allowed into the terminal building. I look at it as just being part of the game.

I would have to agree with you on San Pedro.  Not much to it but it was better than FLL for sure.  Thank you so much for the ArriveCan info.  I had a feeling it was required for entering Canadian waters but you're the first person that's been able to explain it.  As you saw in my post, I planned on completing it but was just wondering if it was required.  Thanks for clarifying!

The Ruby line in SF was evidently due partly to it having to use a secondary pier, since the Majestic was occupying its usual pier. Other factors suggested were having to wait to disembark covid passengers, etc. On a Carnival sailing out of Seattle, they wouldn't allow people into the terminal without showing their ArriveCAN. They didn't check the codes on my two stops in Victoria--imagine the logistics of checking over 5,000 people most days, many arriving at 7 or so, although I did read of the Ovation of the Seas being checked, perhaps as punishment for it not being done ahead of time, like the Canadian customs form everyone also has to take. Perhaps it will be gone by late August, like testing before international flights or the 2-day cruise testing requirement for cruises visiting Canada. 

Personally, instead of rushing to get on board early to start eating, I'd drop bags and either try to pick up an electric bike outside the terminal (Lime or Veo apps), or take an Uber from the terminal to Olympic Sculpture Park and enjoy a lovely walk along the water back to the terminal.  It's about 2 miles from the park to the terminal, with a walking lane and a bike lane. I've actually used the electric bikes to get to and from the terminal on my last cruise a few weeks ago. Not waiting in lines and crowded areas also decreases covid risks, although they were insisting on mask wear inside the terminal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rj59 said:

The Ruby line in SF was evidently due partly to it having to use a secondary pier, since the Majestic was occupying its usual pier. Other factors suggested were having to wait to disembark covid passengers, etc. On a Carnival sailing out of Seattle, they wouldn't allow people into the terminal without showing their ArriveCAN. They didn't check the codes on my two stops in Victoria--imagine the logistics of checking over 5,000 people most days, many arriving at 7 or so, although I did read of the Ovation of the Seas being checked, perhaps as punishment for it not being done ahead of time, like the Canadian customs form everyone also has to take. Perhaps it will be gone by late August, like testing before international flights or the 2-day cruise testing requirement for cruises visiting Canada. 

Personally, instead of rushing to get on board early to start eating, I'd drop bags and either try to pick up an electric bike outside the terminal (Lime or Veo apps), or take an Uber from the terminal to Olympic Sculpture Park and enjoy a lovely walk along the water back to the terminal.  It's about 2 miles from the park to the terminal, with a walking lane and a bike lane. I've actually used the electric bikes to get to and from the terminal on my last cruise a few weeks ago. Not waiting in lines and crowded areas also decreases covid risks, although they were insisting on mask wear inside the terminal.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, reiddg said:

It makes no difference whether you will be getting off in Canada or not The ArriveCan app must be completed before departure because you will be in Canadian waters and thus in Canada. They will help you at the pier if you're unable to complete the app prior to arrival. I'm attaching a PDF that should be of assistance to you in completing  it.

Tom

Completing the ArriveCAN app information.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:37 PM, Eaglecw said:

I’ll be on this cruise as well.  Think I have same boarding time.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donswife said:

We're on Diamond out of San Diego,  and I can't find a place to choose a time.

In the app, if you are in the green lane,

Click on "personal information and documents.

Scroll down to suggested and click Arrival & departure groups. You should then see and be able to click on any groups if they are available.

Hope this helps a little. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Moondogy said:

In the app, if you are in the green lane,

Click on "personal information and documents.

Scroll down to suggested and click Arrival & departure groups. You should then see and be able to click on any groups if they are available.

Hope this helps a little. 😊

I found it!  Then got the "check closer to sailing" message.  I thought it used to be easier to find.  Thank you!

We just got off Discovery last week. It's a beautiful ship. The pps are correct about arrival times meaning nothing. We had 12-12:30 and arrived then. We took an Uber from our hotel and they had to drop us off way out in the parking lot. It's a bit of a hike or they have little shuttles. If I had to do it again, I'd take a taxi because they can go right up to the line. Be prepared for a long line before you even get to a lounge. We were on RCCL in March out of Miami and basically couldn't get our documents out fast enough for how quickly the line moved. This was not the case in Seattle. Many long lines and when you think you're there, there is another line. But all in all, it wasn't hours of waiting. I think we were on about 1. You do need the ArriveCan and they will hound you for it if you don't do it before boarding. Frankly, I'm surprised they let anyone on without filling it out, but they were asking for some people to still fill it out while we were onboard. We didn't get off in Victoria, but we still needed to submit it.

It was a great cruise and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic week. Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, reiddg said:

I'm glad you brought up ArriveCan.  I've filled out everything and am waiting on the 96hr pre-cruise time to complete the app and get the receipt.  Do you know if this is something Princess will verify for everyone or does it happen once in Canada by Canadian authorities? 

Do you know if this is something Princess will verify for everyone or does it happen once in Canada by Canadian authorities?  YES, everyone must complete Arrive Can if getting off the or NOT.

A little clarification on this ... Waiting on the 96hr pre-cruise time to complete the app.

I was on phone with ArriveCan yesterday, ArrivaCAN can not be completes prior to 72 hours before embarkation time.  I also found this via Google.

When can you fill out ArriveCan when embarking on a cruise from Seattle

Within 72 hours
You can only start your ArriveCAN form within 72 hours of your upcoming cruise embarks, so be sure you add this to your pre-cruise planning list. You will not have access to the form if your cruise is outside of 72 hours.

• Like 1