Belize water taxi questions

hisfirstm8

I have read the thread on here about the water taxis, but the dates are several years ago.  We will be arriving on the Royal Caribbean Serenade on November 9th and are looking for something to do.  There are not very many excursions offered thru the cruise line, so we were thinking about trying to get to Caye Caulker for a few hours.  Those of you who have been there, can you help?

On the other thread, I read that we would need to take the 1:30 trip back to get back in time for the last tender.  We arrive at 8:00 and depart at 6:00.  I want to make sure nothing would keep us from getting back in time.

thanks cruise critic friends for all your help!!!

Barbara

Has anyone personally experienced taking the taxi back and forth.  I'm not sure if it's worth the money and time, but not sure what else we can do.  We have never been to Belize and didn't want to just sit on the ship, but RCL is only offering a few excursions.  We really don't want to go to the ruins, if it means a 4 hour bus ride each way.

Barbara

Ride over will depend on weather and sea conditions.  Our rides in the past haven't been that bad.

Ride is relatively cheap.  But unless you're doing a snorkeling excursion or want to snorkel out at the end of Cay Caulker, it's mostly shops some bistros and beach.

San Pedro, would be similar and further to go.

Across from the tender pier in Belize City is a nice flea market with native goods cheaper than at the tender pier.  You can walk over the swing bridge to downtown Belize City and visit the oldest Anglican Church and the Cultural museum in the old Governor's mansion across the street.  There's also a Belize sign and the Lighthouse just outside the tender pier.

21 hours ago, hisfirstm8 said:

Is it safe to walk from the tender pier into the city?

My sister-in-law and I have walked around Belize City several times.  And I've done it by my self.

We've had absolutely zero issues.  You'll see on here many posters complaining about the hawkers outside the cruise port, they leave you alone with a simple no and aren't around a block beyond the pier.

The church isn't that large  and won't take up much time but the culture museum across the street is worth while. And on the way back you can stop at Brodies, the all-inclusive general store. Good prices on Marie Sharp's hot sauce.Annie's Lunchbox or Nerie's are good places to grab a Belizean bite.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wonder if your ship will add any more excursions. We did an amazing one to Caye Caulker on our Carnival cruise in April. It was definitely an all day trip. We took a boat over there, it's a pretty good clip from the dock. Then we did 2 snorkeling stops, one was with the sharks, it was super cool. Then we had lunch on Caye Caulker, they organized all of it. It was probably our favorite trip of our cruise!

Our first stop for snorkeling

20220414_120311.jpg

The sharks!

20220414_122600.jpg

Our son with one of the sharks

20220414_123514.jpg

Heading back into Caye Caulker

20220414_125131.jpg

The Lazy Lizard, where we had lunch

20220414_133806.jpg

Edited by kctwinmommy

• 1 month later...

Hi hisfirstm8 -- we're from Amelia Island! 🙂. We've done this trip before and will be returning in December.  If you like to be in the water, Sea Sports Belize does a great job and has a trip that will take you to Hol Chan Shark Ray Alley -- sounds a lot like the trip mentioned above, but Sea Sports is independent.  Their office is an easy walk from the cruise dock.  The snorkeling there is easy  -- and snorkeling with the nurse sharks, rays and turtles in an amazing experience if you've never done it before.  The Hol Chan trip includes a stop on Cay Caulker.  It's a fun stop for a drink -- go to the Split -- just ask - you can't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have used Coral Breeze to go to Caye Caulker, they have option to snorkel or just go to the Caye which we have done.  they drop you off at the Split and we enjoy the day there and they pickup there so very easy.  Star from Coral Breeze is very helpful with any questions and they take good care of you. We still talk about our time on the island.