Royal Palms Closed?

Barmanpoet

Good Morning!  I was just prepping for my first cruise to Grand Cayman in sometime.  I normally spend the day at Royal Palms Beach Club, but it appears that it has closed.  I am very sad as I always enjoyed it.  Can anyone suggest a good alternative.  Thanks and have a great day!

I believe your only option for an actual beach club is Coral Beach, unless some new place opens between now and your cruise date.  Royal Palms, Tiki Beach and Calico Jacks have all closed permanently.

https://coralbeach.ky

Some of the hotels might now offer day passes, since overall tourist occupancy is low.  You could try your favourite chain and see what they say.

Public Beach (and a number of other less developed entry points) is still available if you are willing to DIY, BYO and throw a towel on the sand.

Lots of threads in this forum on beach options from the last few months if you glance down the list or do a search.

There are several YouTube videos of SMB that show most of the old beach clubs have not reopened.  This video shows what's left of RPBC at about 4:20.  Coral Beach is open, you'll see it at about 5:15:

When I was there a couple of weeks ago Public Beach had washrooms, chair rentals for cruise visitors and a food truck.  That may be good enough for what you need, but in my opinion, right now there is nothing close to what the Royal Palms used to offer.

There are plans to reopen the Calico Jack's site, possibly as something else but still a beach bar, but no word on when that will be.

I haven't seen numbers on hotel occupancy for the past few months, but I was in the Westin and it was hopping!  Locals were telling me that they couldn't get rooms at the Kimpton for a staycation, do I don't think their occupancy is down - they also have staffing shortages right now, so doubt they will be selling day passes.  It's worth asking though.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info!  Considering the circumstances, for this trip I'd be happy with someplace where I could get a couple of chairs and umbrella on a nice piece of a beach.  Umbrellas also available at Public?