Good Bourbon Old Fashion on the Mardi...

topaz123

KInda a stickler for a good boubon OLD FASHION cocktail.  Had the worst ever on the Horizon at the bar on the entrance way.  Did have a 100% perfect Old Fashion at the Bar B Que Bar....perfect, hand mixed, even smoked if ya want ( did not try this). Top shelf bourbon....excellent. Now...any suggestions on the perfect Old Fashion on the Mardi Gras?

The better bourbon selection is at Pig & Anchor bourbon bar -- they have a smoked one there too.

If you want a traditional Old Fashioned, or even a Sazaerac, they're both truly authentic at The Brass Magnolia. And buy authentic, I mean they aren't muddling maraschino cherries and oranges to start off the cocktail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keels81 said:

The better bourbon selection is at Pig & Anchor bourbon bar -- they have a smoked one there too.

If you want a traditional Old Fashioned, or even a Sazaerac, they're both truly authentic at The Brass Magnolia. And buy authentic, I mean they aren't muddling maraschino cherries and oranges to start off the cocktail.

Yes, indeed....at the Pig n Anchor on the Horizon, they do the from scratch, mortar n pestle grind, etc. Fantastic...thanks for the  info....

• Like 1

As I recall BT was the bourbon at Alchemy.  Most of the specialty drinks are vodka and gin  and rum based.  But there could be another lurking in the back shelf.

P&A should have Basil Hayden's,  Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig Small Batch.

Steakhouse bar has Woodford and Blanton's.

23 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

A friend of mine enjoyed the Bayou Smoke from the Fortune Teller bar and she is a big fan of old fashioneds.  Not sure if it was an old fashioned or just something she liked.

Bayou Smoke is Cognac, satsuma liqueur (rum and satsuma fruit juice) and bitters.  Not an old fashion.  But pretty good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

I dont recall ever seeing blantons at sea. Ill be sure to grab a couple this weekend if i see it.  

P&A will have it.  Some days they will run out towards the end of the day and not restock until the morning so it is in some sort of limited quantity.

3 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

I dont recall ever seeing blantons at sea. Ill be sure to grab a couple this weekend if i see it.  

The bar at the Steakhouse will almost certainly have Blanton's. Husband has recently had it on the Magic, Valor and Horizon. Most people don't seem to know that you can go to the bar in the Steakhouse without having a reservation. I don't think you can eat there, but you can definitely get access to their wine and spirits list.

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Bayou Smoke is Cognac, satsuma liqueur (rum and satsuma fruit juice) and bitters.  Not an old fashion.  But pretty good.

That sounds yummy!  I like the Caribbean Manhattan at Alchemy, not on the menu but the mixologists can make it.  It does have a Luxardo cherry which I love😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

That sounds yummy!  I like the Caribbean Manhattan at Alchemy, not on the menu but the mixologists can make it.  It does have a Luxardo cherry which I love😃

that Caribbean Manhattan is so good at alchemy.. back in the day, on miracle, they had makers mark on tap for that cocktail. It was so great.

I miss makers being available on board…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I will check this out in November.  Thank you. 

I loved that Alchemy had a Luxardo cherry.  They also had Woodford on the Dream. 

On 6/20/2022 at 6:44 PM, ninjacat123 said:

When did the Alchemy Bar switch to Luxardo.  I’ve only seen them use Filthy Cherries.

12 hours ago, Sgwscruiser said:

When did the Alchemy Bar switch to Luxardo.  I’ve only seen them use Filthy Cherries.

Maybe they are Filthy Cherries, it tastes like Luxardo to me.  I usually get 3 of them in my Caribbean Manhattan.  Practically dessert!😄

• Like 1