Currently on Alaskan land tour/cruise

GrandmaOhio

A few comments about our trip so far:

We received an email shortly before our land tour portion began telling us we needed negative Covid tests prior to beginning our time in Denali.  Rushed around, got the test, brought the proof to the HAL desk in the Westmark in Fairbanks.  They weren’t interested AT ALL!  They said corporate sent the email without implementing a process for logging or recording results. Several other couples had paid for tests and/or kits, one couple paid $278 for their tests. 

No one that I have talked to has been able to successfully complete ArriveCAN. Front desk staff at the Chalet said there is a glitch in the program and to not worry about completing it. 

The Covid tests administered by HAL prior to boarding the ship were handled smoothly and efficiently, results were available that evening and were accepted by VeriFLY after a manual review which was completed in about an hour. 

Denali was spectacular, the mountain was visible. The McKinley Chalet was very nice but the Westmark Hotels in Fairbanks and Anchorage are old, dated and could use a good cleaning. The restaurant in the hotel in Anchorage is only open for breakfast and there is no bar open in the evening. HAL could/should do better. 

82A83C3C-C102-4DA9-ABFF-FC683AD47C38.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GrandmaOhio said:

That’s what I thought, too. But the app asks for an address where you will be staying in Canada, with no provision that I can find, for just going to the airport to leave the country. 

Your tour does go into Canada?  Where are you going once you leave Fairbanks?

You were so fortunate to get that great photo of Denali! 

Holland America is sending out all kinds of on-line notices to people booked for Alaska travel.this season.  For those mid trip I would expect HAL to assist with any paperwork and testing that these e-mails say needs to be completed.  The Yukon trips that pass through Fairbanks have a journey host to smooth out issues.  For those on domestic journeys there is no journey host these days. 

The Westmark in Anchorage is old and outdated but is centrally located to some wonderful places to eat.  The Snow City Cafe is a great  place for breakfast and there are lots of places for lunch and dinner.   I suppose those who have the breakfast meal package would be eating at the Westmark breakfast buffet.  As far as bars go, you can find booming activity in the bars across the street from the Westmark.

We have done the HAL tours in the past and they have been a well oiled machine, extremely efficient, but this year is different.  I am glad that our upcoming August trip is a group trip organized by our TA.  He can sort out what is necessary as far as paperwork goes.  I’m just concerned about the Covid test.

If you are just beginning the cruise I hope it meets your expectations.  Someone onboard should be able to help you with ArriveCAN.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GrandmaOhio said:

We end in Vancouver.  Not staying, just transiting to the airport to fly home. There doesn’t seem to be an option for that.🤷🏻‍♀️

they will help onboard the ship towards the ends. However, I had someone that already done theirs help me. You will put in the address for the vancouver airport as to where you are "staying". From that point it was easy enough to finish.

22 hours ago, GrandmaOhio said:

We end in Vancouver.  Not staying, just transiting to the airport to fly home. There doesn’t seem to be an option for that.🤷🏻‍♀️

Our cruise also ended in Vancouver 3 weeks ago.  We too were in transit to the airport.

We used this address to put into the Canada app. 999 Canada Pl.  Thats where the ship docks. And the app. excepted that and we had no problems.

I also heard rumors that Canada will be making an announcement at the end of June. And some people say that they might be ending the app.  One can only hope.