visit Jerusalem from Ashod gives me a headache

fvandewouwer

hi everyone, If all goes well we will be in Ashod in October ( overnight )

As i have been to Israel before and visited all the tourist things a tourist does on it's first visit, i would love to walk around Jerusalem this time on my own.

RCI ( Odyssey of the seas ) does not provide transportation only to Jerusalem.

( all their tours are also mostly sold out )

I have checked the option renting a car ( we stay overnight so being back in time is not a problem)

there is a parking lot next to the light rail stop so that would be an option but taking a taxi from the terminal exit to the rental car office, paperwork and driving

it seems a lot to deal with just to park the car on a parking lot

public transportation is even worse : time bus 1.30 h one way and we also need to calculate the taxi to the bus stop, train goes first to Tel Aviv there you need to change trains time one way again 1.30 h

I am now looking at shared transportation but without doing a tour and I hope someone who reads this has an idea where we can find

just transportation to Jerusalem and back.

perhaps you who is reading this now, is looking for transportation to,  date 11th october this year ?

anyone has an idea ?

thanks

Frieda

40 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

This is the end day of Succot, a Jewish high holy day. I'm thinking there is NO public transportation running and your only hope is a private car or expensive taxi.

according google public transportation in only the first day of Succot, will ask tripadvisor if that is the case.

Thank you for your reply

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a similar journey - I'm on the Apex but will be at Ashdod on the Monday and Tuesday.  I'm also "biting the bullet" and think I'll get a taxi from the port to the main bus station and then catch a bus to Jersualem.  It doesn't look too bad 1hr 10.  The way I look at it is that it's about the same amount of hassle as getting into Rome on your own from Civitavecchia. 

We're going to do it on the first day of our overnight, so there is no stress with getting back on time.  In fact I'm also looking at whether to get another bus from the station to the Dead Sea 😉

Like you I've been to Israel on a DIY trip a few years back so feel confident that we can handle this. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:37 PM, dritan said:

I'm doing a similar journey - I'm on the Apex but will be at Ashdod on the Monday and Tuesday.  I'm also "biting the bullet" and think I'll get a taxi from the port to the main bus station and then catch a bus to Jersualem.  It doesn't look too bad 1hr 10.  The way I look at it is that it's about the same amount of hassle as getting into Rome on your own from Civitavecchia. 

We're going to do it on the first day of our overnight, so there is no stress with getting back on time.  In fact I'm also looking at whether to get another bus from the station to the Dead Sea 😉

Like you I've been to Israel on a DIY trip a few years back so feel confident that we can handle this. 

Hi there, that means we are overlapping one day ...?

So our journey will be on Tuesday yours on Monday.

Similar as Rome/Civitavecchia without the luggage 😅and this is a bus, we love trains, busses,mmmmm.. not that much.

A pity it is not the same day we could share taxis to and from Jerusalem. 

Time will be too short although those are 2 days we will not stay overnight in the city. 

Wishing you an amazing trip. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We need 11 people to tour Akko from Haifa ( details will follow) 
And 
11 people to visit Jerusalem and Jad Wasjem from Ashdod. (Details will follow) 
 The price is for a group of 13 people 85 euro pp which is a very good deal.
If you are interested please let me know.
THANK YOU
Frieda and Erwin 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am not sure if you are still looking for options, but we will be in the same situation later in October and are considering booking a transfer with Emun Taxi (taxiemunisrael.com). A 10 seat van would cost €280 for the return trip to Jerusalem. If we can find somebody to share with, that would be quite cheap considering the options. 

Being in Asdod at this moment

No need to take that expensive taxi to Jerusalem 

The port shuttle puts you in front of the bus station a bus ticket is inexpensive ( it is,a 24 h pass)it takes around 1 15 h to reach the train station in Jerusalem from there the metro (same bus ticket) brings you everywhere.

Enjoy!

Edited by fvandewouwer

On 10/12/2022 at 4:58 AM, fvandewouwer said:

Being in Asdod at this moment

No need to take that expensive taxi to Jerusalem 

The port shuttle puts you in front of the bus station a bus ticket is inexpensive ( it is,a 24 h pass)it takes around 1 15 h to reach the train station in Jerusalem from there the metro (same bus ticket) brings you everywhere.

Enjoy!

So does the port shuttle takes you to the Central Bus Station in Ashdod or does it take you to one of the port gates where the #2 bus runs along that road? I will be in Ashdod on the 16th of November and working on a way out of the port since they won't let you walk out. Is the port shuttle free or is there a cost? Thank you!

9 hours ago, tomatospice said:

So does the port shuttle takes you to the Central Bus Station in Ashdod or does it take you to one of the port gates where the #2 bus runs along that road? I will be in Ashdod on the 16th of November and working on a way out of the port since they won't let you walk out. Is the port shuttle free or is there a cost? Thank you!

Yes the bus has 2 stops, second one is in front of the bus station! It is free of charge. 

Edited by fvandewouwer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I second that - We took the free shuttle to the bus station and got our tickets easily to Jerusalem.  In Jerusalem the electric railway/tram was just across the road from the bus station and a 10 min ride later we were at the old city. 

On 11/5/2022 at 7:04 AM, dritan said:

I second that - We took the free shuttle to the bus station and got our tickets easily to Jerusalem.  In Jerusalem the electric railway/tram was just across the road from the bus station and a 10 min ride later we were at the old city. 

Thank you!! 

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 12:04 PM, dritan said:

I second that - We took the free shuttle to the bus station and got our tickets easily to Jerusalem.  I

Is it also possible to get to Tel Aviv/Jaffa by bus from the station you mentioned?

On 1/22/2023 at 8:40 PM, keiki40 said:

Is it also possible to get to Tel Aviv/Jaffa by bus from the station you mentioned?

Yes you can take a bus to Tel Aviv from Tel Aviv another one to Jaffa. I have not yet done that but I intend to next month. On tripadvisor you find my topic and answers on this matter.