Cape Liberty parking...

Is there any rhyme or reason that during some cruises people were able to park in the covered garage building while others stated it was only for handicapped parking. I have been to Cape Liberty many times and never encountered that.

I was told the garage is being used by Summit and Adventure and Oasis is given the out door area.  My recent trip on Summit in May we were able to park in the garage.  I am leaving this week on Adventure and will know whether or not what I was told is true.  Fingers crossed. 

So we arrived around 10am or a little after for our 11am time. We were directed to the outside lot and the garage was being reserved for Handicap. We had friends on the same cruise and they arrived around 12pm or later for a 1pm'ish check in. They were allowed to park in the garage. Both are close enough to walk and not much trouble. Seems it depends on arrival time to the port and available spots.

22 hours ago, WB57 said:

That’s very interesting.  We are leaving on the Summit in a couple of weeks.  Please let us know what you learn.  Thanks. 

OK, here's my observations.  There are three ships currently sailing out of CL.  I was there on Sunday (the Summit day) (around 11:15AM) to recon the parking and crowd situation for my upcoming cruise.  I saw that the parking deck was open.  All cars were parking in the deck.  The two "overflow" lots were locked shut. Those lots were packed full.  I'd assume those lots were for the Oasis OTS and Adventure OTS.   I'd say it will remain this way until one of the ships leave.

Excellent recon job!   I am assuming you mean the ‘garage’ (referenced as the parking deck).  Also, how were the crowds about that time?  We will be arriving right around 1100 hrs ourselves.   Thanks again for the info.  

2 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

OK, here's my observations.  There are three ships currently sailing out of CL.  I was there on Sunday (the Summit day) (around 11:15AM) to recon the parking and crowd situation for my upcoming cruise.  I saw that the parking deck was open.  All cars were parking in the deck.  The two "overflow" lots were locked shut. Those lots were packed full.  I'd assume those lots were for the Oasis OTS and Adventure OTS.   I'd say it will remain this way until one of the ships leave.

I cruised out of Bayonne on Adventure in late May on a weekday arriving at the port after 12:30 and was surprised to be directed to park in the garage not the surface lots. The attendant told me earlier that day, cars were assigned to park in the lots not the garage. The garage is not solely for Summit cruisers.

I was aware of the one surface lot very close to the terminal, I was not aware other lots were also being used. Driving out of the garage on disembarkation I was surprised to see how far (in my opinion) some of the lots were. I saw cruisers rolling their luggage to these distant lots. I know for me it would have been challenging walking that distance with luggage on uneven pavement.

25 minutes ago, WB57 said:

Excellent recon job!   I am assuming you mean the ‘garage’ (referenced as the parking deck).  Also, how were the crowds about that time?  We will be arriving right around 1100 hrs ourselves.   Thanks again for the info.  

Yes, garage=parking deck.  I arrived at about 11:15.  I was very surprised that there was relatively no line of cars making the final left into the terminal area.  After taking a few photos at the teardrop (20min.), I saw the queue got only slightly longer.   One thing about cape liberty, the line moves very fast.

39 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

I cruised out of Bayonne on Adventure in late May on a weekday arriving at the port after 12:30 and was surprised to be directed to park in the garage not the surface lots. The attendant told me earlier that day, cars were assigned to park in the lots not the garage. The garage is not solely for Summit cruisers.

I was aware of the one surface lot very close to the terminal, I was not aware other lots were also being used. Driving out of the garage on disembarkation I was surprised to see how far (in my opinion) some of the lots were. I saw cruisers rolling their luggage to these distant lots. I know for me it would have been challenging walking that distance with luggage on uneven pavement.

Those two distant lots were the original two lots used when cape liberty first opened.  I b Ave no clue why someone wouldn't have dropped their luggage first at the terminal.   Crazy long walk to drag luggage.   

Long history behind all those abandoned buildings

• 2 weeks later...

We are driving up from Maryland on a Sunday morning in August with a 1:00 boarding time for the Summit.  We are flying back to Newark a few weeks later in the evening.  Will there be any issue catching an uber from the airport to retrieve our car at the port?  Is it open 24/7?  Do you pay when you get there or when you leave?

Just now, JHCruiser123 said:

We are driving up from Maryland on a Sunday morning in August with a 1:00 boarding time for the Summit.  We are flying back to Newark a few weeks later in the evening.  Will there be any issue catching an uber from the airport to retrieve our car at the port?  Is it open 24/7?  Do you pay when you get there or when you leave?

Forgot to mention we are returning on a day when no cruise ships are departing or arriving at the port.

1 hour ago, JHCruiser123 said:

Forgot to mention we are returning on a day when no cruise ships are departing or arriving at the port.

Then you shouldn't park at the port .

Park at an EWR long term lot or a parking facility near EWR. Take Uber or Lyft to the port on embarkation day. 

• 2 months later...

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on Anthem on January 2.  As far as I can tell, Anthem is the only ship sailing out of Cape Liberty in January.  I am hoping that means that parking in the garage will not be a problem but I wonder if there is a particular time that I should plan to arrive.  Is 10:30 too early?  Would Noon be better?  Digging out from winter storms can be a real drag.

2 hours ago, E&D2004 said:

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on Anthem on January 2.  As far as I can tell, Anthem is the only ship sailing out of Cape Liberty in January.  I am hoping that means that parking in the garage will not be a problem but I wonder if there is a particular time that I should plan to arrive.  Is 10:30 too early?  Would Noon be better?  Digging out from winter storms can be a real drag.

Everyone from the previous cruise should be gone by 10:30 so that's a good time to arrive.  

10 hours ago, E&D2004 said:

I wonder if there is a particular time that I should plan to arrive.  Is 10:30 too early?  Would Noon be better? 

Depends on the ship's boarding time you select. Prior to covid, the recommendation was to arrive at Cape Liberty by 10:30-10:45 as traffic builds after that time frame. Since the implementation of boarding times I have yet to see such traffic as in years past. Aim for the earliest boarding time which should be 10 am, possibly 11 am. If your boarding time is in the afternoon, I would not arrive at 10 am as you may have to wait until your scheduled time.

Parking should be in the garage with only Anthem sailing from Bayonne.