VPN and Wi-fi incompatibility

slw207693

Currently on Insignia (last leg of the around the world, stuck in quarantine) and having issues with wi-fi and being able to use VPN (I’m using Nord).  I’ve purchased the upgrade but still not able to use.   

I was on Marina for the month of November, Riviera in January and Regatta in April.  I had no issues with any of those ships.   

The IT person has only been on board about six weeks and that appears to be her level of experience.   She doesn’t know why, isn’t interested in finding out why or finding a solution to make it work.  (I’m still working and need a more secure connection).

Can any of you IT guru’s offer suggestions or solutions?

Bummer that you do not have an experienced network person to help.  But if you are not even connecting through your VPN it is likely that one or more of the necessary ports are being blocked by HAL's onboard software settings.  I believe Nord needs 1194 UDP and 443 TCP to both be open.  You can certainly ask the onboard network person to check these ports and hope she has a clue.  

This is not just an issue on "O" as we have faced similar problems on a few Princess cruises where some of our regular e-mail ports were being blocked.  When we finally lucked out and found a decent network person (who knew the issue) his response was that "this has been an issue on Princess for years and we have not found a fix."    I suspect much of the trouble happens with Firewalls which are always being upgraded to prevent major problems.  In trying to prevent real trouble it too often happens that some ports (needed for legitimate stuff) get blocked.

Hank