Getting around the island on public transportation

LuvCruising88

I am pretty clueless about public transportation and am thinking about getting a 2 day pass for our cruise to Bermuda next month.  Can anyone let me know if  you are able to board the public buses at any point along the route?  For example, if I take a ferry over to St George's, will I be able to board a bus to go to the Aquarium, and then after visiting there a bit, hop on the bus to go to Gibbs Lighthouse, etc...?  Thank you!

31 minutes ago, LuvCruising88 said:

I am pretty clueless about public transportation and am thinking about getting a 2 day pass for our cruise to Bermuda next month.  Can anyone let me know if  you are able to board the public buses at any point along the route?  For example, if I take a ferry over to St George's, will I be able to board a bus to go to the Aquarium, and then after visiting there a bit, hop on the bus to go to Gibbs Lighthouse, etc...?  Thank you!

The transportation pass is good on both ferries and buses. You can hop on and off the buses and feries from any point and to any point with the pass. 

If you want to do the itinerary in your example you will have to change buses in Hamilton at the bus terminal. 

Edited by Charles4515

We just came back and bought the 3 day pass for $44+.  We used the ferry to Hamilton several times and to St. George.  There was a man outside the door at the Dockyard one morning giving much more information on how and where to go with the passes.  Inside you get no info.  He suggested we take the ferry to St. George one way and then take bus #11 back to Hamilton and then a ferry back to the Dockyard. You get to see more of the island.  Most drivers go quite fast and being on the bus was quite entertaining as you get to see locals and tourists.  The driver is quite strong on making everyone wear a mask and using hand sanitizing.  Everyone we encountered on the bus was so polite and driver was helpful.

We would take bus #7 to get to some nice beaches also.

Any questions, please let me know.

• Like 1

Not that I was aware of.  At one point another bus broke down and our bus stopped to help and took all their passengers. There was no requirement for seating away from others.  Just needed mask and hand sanitizer.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to make sure you know that there are bus stops-if you want to get off, you ring the bell and the bus will make a stop at the next bus stop. The stop for the return is across the street. Busses are clean, and air conditioned.

8 minutes ago, taxgal said:

I just want to make sure you know that there are bus stops-if you want to get off, you ring the bell and the bus will make a stop at the next bus stop. The stop for the return is across the street. Busses are clean, and air conditioned.

I advise telling the bus driver of where you want to get off when you get on and ask him to tell you when you get there. Visitors are not going to know when to ring the bell for the next stop. The driver always called it out for me when I asked. Bus stops, pink pole means into Hamilton. Blue means away from Hamilton,

Buses are clean but the air conditioning does not always work. 

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Are the buses handicapped accessible? I will be there next month.  Traveling with a dear friend, she is 71 and uses a cane to get around - oh, and just broke an arm this last week.  I’m trying to preplan our time in Bermuda, based on her needs.  

25 minutes ago, PAgirl_1968 said:

Hi.  Are the buses handicapped accessible? I will be there next month.  Traveling with a dear friend, she is 71 and uses a cane to get around - oh, and just broke an arm this last week.  I’m trying to preplan our time in Bermuda, based on her needs.  

The buses are not considered accessible. But that more about wheelchairs. Some with a cane might be ok. YMMV. But with the cane and broken arm I suggest taxis. I don’t think with both issues a bus is going to be a good idea, 

Edited by Charles4515

39 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

We want to buy a day pass in October. Can one buy it the day before? Our ship gets in late afternoon and it would be great if we could get passes for the next day to save time in the morning.

The passes can be bought at any time. The first punch by the bus driver or at the ferry activates the pass. Then if it were one day pass it would be good for that calendar day ending at midnight. A two day pass good for two calenders days. You can buy a pass you want to use the next day at the Visitor Information Centre if your ship arrives early enough in the afternoon. .It closes at 4 PM.

Edited by Charles4515

58 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The passes can be bought at any time. The first punch by the bus driver or at the ferry activates the pass. Then if it were one day pass it would be good for that calendar day ending at midnight. A two day pass good for two calenders days. You can buy a pass you want to use the next day at the Visitor Information Centre if your ship arrives early enough in the afternoon. .It closes at 4 PM.

Oh, thanks so much for the info! We get in at 3 PM. Shame things aren't open later. This must be well known, but do you live there part of the year? You answers are so helpful; you could write a book!

1 hour ago, joyandjerry said:

Oh, thanks so much for the info! We get in at 3 PM. Shame things aren't open later. This must be well known, but do you live there part of the year? You answers are so helpful; you could write a book!

Just a frequent visitor over many years. 

Edited by Charles4515

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Just a frequent visitor over many years. 

Thanks ever so much for the time and help you have given to others. You are a prime example of how one person can make a positive impact into the quality of life for many.