Dunns River Falls for wheechair Grandma

gaylenhazel

We were in this same situation! The day before the cruise my mother fell and broke her foot.She too was in a wheelchair when we went to the falls. The path is fairly smooth and there were many lookouts (they are like decks). We parked my mother on one of these with a camera. There were a lot of other people just watching so she was in good company.

just to eliminate any surprise. Unless they've changed since my last visit the vehicle enter' to the park actually puts you at the top of the falls area. You typically take the walkway down to the bottom, where the beach is, then climb back up the wet side. The walkway is paths with some steps/stairs

So GM will be at the top, or one of the accessable upper landings....not on the beach. There r facilities at the top so no big deal, just don't be surprized when you go up the mountain to enter the park.

Of couse if you take the boat tour to the park, you enter at beach level.

• 3 weeks later...

We are a group of 5 family members ranging from 13 to 82, visiting in July. Some will want to do the falls and some will want to watch and wait. Access to RR and only moderate walks are issues for one or two of us. Can you see much from the top or near the top and are RR accessible? Thanks for the help.

they have catarmans (?) that go to Dunns Rivers from many areas. Go onsite to Jamaica and you shoould find many company's that do this. Allow for several hours, depending where you start from.

I started at a hotel and it was 2-3 hours, I was sicker than a dog by the time I got there, but did climb the falls.

If you drive in, you will be on the top of the Falls. I was there a little over a year ago and did not notice any handicapp facilities to do down to the beach at all. The steps are not like in the States, not sure how much fun Grandma would have sitting at the top by herself just watching. You really cannot see the beach area from the top.

Archived